Root password issue

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Joh, May 30, 2008.

1. Joh

Joh New Member

I just pwned and upgraded my iPod Touch to 1.1.4 and after a while it stopped working and did nothing except repeatedly restarting the SpringBoard. After having repeatedly restarted the iPod after everything I've done, I've nailed the problem. It seems to start after I've changed the root password and reboot the iPod (note that changing the root password was the only thing I did between the reboots).

So how do I solve this one? I don't really feel like running about with an SSH server with the default root password in my pocket and I don't really know of another way of transfering games to the NES emulator or such. :/

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. Auburnfan190

Auburnfan190 New Member

i dont quite know if i understand you

but the default is root and the password is alpine

and the path is /.

otherwise if you have a mac use cyberduck.
  3. Joh

Joh New Member

No, I'm quite sure you don't.

Please Register or Log in to view images

The problem I'm having is not the password. I know the password is alpine. I can SSH into the iPod without problems. The problem arises after changing the password with passwd. After rebooting my iPod it just freezes and continuously starts and restarts the SpringBoard. The only way to get it to function again is by restarting it in restore mode and do a full firmware restore. What I was interested in was what might cause the root password change to make my iPod behave like this, and if anyone else had similar problems with it.
  4. Auburnfan190

Auburnfan190 New Member

just dont change the password
  5. agarwal1

agarwal1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    If you read the warning for bsd subsystem, you would now that changing the password causes this problem. Don't jump to hit the okay button, they can be very helpful!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Joh

Joh New Member

I've read every single popup but it seems adding the BSD Subsystem through WinPWN instead of Installer doesn't show that message... Thanks for that note though, it certainly explains why it behaves that way.
    Running an SSH server without having a strong root password is like not bothering to lock your door with the fact you don't live in the city as sole purpose. It's not likely to get noticed but when it is, there's no problem for anyone to get in.

Edit: So with that said, is there any application that can start/stop the SSH server without having to use the terminal or restart the iPod?

Edit 2: Nvm. Found this thread which has quite a good explanation of why it didn't work as intended and a solution. ^^