Review Rolando 2: Quest for the Golden Orchid

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Abcmsaj, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus

Please Register or Log in to view images

^^ Click this for a link to the iTunes page for this app ^^

After the huge success of the hype and build-up to the first Rolando, ngmoco and Hand Circus have been promising us the 2nd iteration for a while now. And on July 1st 2009, it was released - With immense 3D gameplay, new challenges, new characters, new maps and a whole new addition to the current story...

It all boils down to this: you must seek out the fabled Golden Orchid. This plant is the cure for the illness that has struck the Rolando Sages. And so you must scour across the island, pushing to the top of the peak where the Golden Orchid grows.

You can see as soon as your load up the app, the game has gone under some significant changes. The main menu has had a 3D (actually more like 2.5D) makeover and the "Plus+" icon suggests that ngmoco have implemented their new social points system into this game - More on that feature later on.

Yes - The main menu is accelerometer controlled!

How does it play?

I'm blessed with an iPhone 3GS and an iPod Touch 2G - The two fastest devices available. After a quick reboot on both, the game runs smoothly with hardly any lag at all on the 2G (the 3GS is in a league of its own though) - Controlling characters also seems more natural than in Rolando 1.

So the graphics are immense. The game's camera angle moves in different levels - Giving you an almost-3D look on the world of Rolandos. Although the Rolandos themselves are flat, each stage has levels of depth (houses are infront of moutains, etc) and this is shown beautifully by the moving camera.

Move the accelerometer, and you can control the camera angle

As for gameplay - This game requires you to be a logical thinker and be able to solve puzzles and search the map for alternate ways to complete the level. For example, some Rolandos are now heavier than others, and so will sink when you put them in water - This could be useful for a few certain levels.

You'll remember the Sticky Rolando from the first one, which stuck to walls and the controlling of him was amazingly confusing - Expect more characters like this in Rolando 2. Higher floaters, Faster movers - And it's up to you to choose the best one for each task.

One feature which has stuck from Rolando 1, is the three end-of-level challenges. You can get the 3 challenges by collect crystals, get a time-limit to reach and get all Rolandos to safety. Doing this will get you 100% in the game (as well as achievements! More on them later)

A new feature in the game is, when you collect all crystals, a notification will TELL you, so you know you can stop hunting for them!

Vehicles and special fruit are also new to Rolando 2. Vehicles can help you get places... like mine carts to take you out a sticky situation! The fruit can perform special functions for each Rolando. For example, feed a chilli to the new floating Rolando and he has a reaction to it, and then he can float up high!

And for those of you who loved the Sonic-Bonus level-style "Save The King" levels, they are in Rolando 2 aswell.

Here's a video of gameplay from the ngmoco

YT channel:

Music?

The sound effects and music are incredible as well. Just like in Rolando 1, the music has been specially created and it feels like you're playing a next-gen console game: definitely. Mr Scruff is the composer, and he's done an amazing job. This time, you can listen to the music from the game's interactive sound menu - And if you like any of the songs, you can click a link by it and buy the song on iTunes.

It's interactive like the game. You can roll Mr Scruff around the map!

What is Plus+?

Plus+ is ngmoco's online social network where you can gain points from certain games. At the moment, the only two games equipped with Plus+ are Star Defense and Rolando 2. When you gain the achievements on the games, you get a gamerscore (a bit like on Xbox 360) and you can compare your score to all your friends or other people.

Attached Files:

2. Abcmsaj

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    You can also set challenges inside the games, and if you've got a friend added, you can push the challenge to their device so they can play it as soon as you've set it. It is a very good system, and worth getting if you don't already have it.

Check out this brief, educational video on Plus+

Extra features?

As I mentioned, the achievements are one feature that have been included in all ngmoco games, and this game is no exception. Depending on your skill level, there are harder and easier ones, and some are based completely on endurance or just plain luck!

Overall

I have been waiting for this game for ages too, and I've not been disappointed. Again though, the price is an off-putting feature... You see, I buy the games on the day they come out, and within 2 months they've been reduced to almost HALF their price. (It's happened for Rolando 1, Word Fu, Topple 2 and Doctor Awesome)

So if you want to be an early adopter, play the game first and possibly get ripped off, buy it now! If you're money conscious, you could hold out until they have another "sale" and the price goes down significantly. Up to you.

Buy it now by clicking on the price below:

3. kevin1st

kevin1st Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Wicked Review. can't wait o play this app for my self.
  4. Abcmsaj

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus

Catch me if ya can XD
  5. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Still my favorite reviewer...

And my most hated for making me spend 10 bucks!

Awesome review, thanks.
  6. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Dang that's insanely high rated. Never liked the first one though.
  7. Alpha911

Alpha911 New Member

Device:
    iPad
    thank you for this review
  8. Abcmsaj

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    you're welcome

9. deleted account 92