Rock Hero: Rock Band edition

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by oaqque, Oct 31, 2009.

1. oaqque

oaqque New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    NOTE: I copied and pasted this from my blog. I don't have time to add photos to this so if you want to see the links and photos go to http://blog.ihappytouch.com/?p=65

An App that a lot of us have been waiting for. Rock Hero: Rock Band Edition has been released by Outlaw Games. Some of you probably haven’t heard of this app but I can tell you that this app is a must if you are a Rock Band fan.

What does this app do?

Rock Hero is a Song Manager for you to create playlists and rate your songs from your very own iPod Touch or iPhone. There are to be two versions of this app, the Guitar Hero version and Rock Band version (hence the name Rock Hero). Currently only the Rock Band edition has been released and is looking to be a very cool app. A great app for parties so that you can quickly catalogue all the games you own for your friends to view. From there you and your friends can create playlists from your song list, an easy way to organize the order of songs your play with your friends. You can also easily rate each song and it’s individual instruments to allow you to sort by difficulty or personal preference.

Is it easy to use?

It has a very simple interface. The Home screen has 3 main buttons: The Profile button, Songs Button and Playlists button. 3 simple steps to organize your party.

Step 1 is to select a profile or create your own. When you first buy the app the profile will be default and you can’t do much with the default profile so in order to start yourself you can create a new profile. When creating your profile you have a choice of what Rock Band games you have (Rock Band 1, Rock Band 2 etc.) as well as the ability to add your own tracks from downloadable content you’ve downloaded. A search bar is also located at the top of the screen for easy navigation. After you’ve selected all the tracks you own from those games you name your profile and it takes you back to the profile selector. Your new profile will now exist there. You can create as many profiles as you want for all your consoles or friends houses. You can always edit the songs you own and rename your profiles easily from the profile selector.

Step 2 is to rate your songs from the Songs button. Navigate through your songs easily using 4 different categories located at the bottom of the screen: By Title, By Artist, By Decade and By Rating. There is also a 5th button located at the bottom of the screen called “Rate By” which allows you the change the way you navigate through your By Rating menu. You can Rate by: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Vocal and Overall. By Title allows you to navigate through your songs alphabetically, By Artist allows you to navigate through your songs by artist, By Decade allows you to navigate through your songs by the timeframe of the song and By Rating allows you to navigate through your songs depending on what you’ve rated your songs.

As you navigate through your songs you can tick a check box to the left of your song name to add them to the Live List which is located at the top right of your screen. As you play through your songs just delete them off your Live List as you go.

The blue arrow to the right of your song name takes you to the difficulty ratings of that song. Song info is provided at the top of the screen: Title, Band and Era. Then at the bottom you rate your songs by difficulty for 5 categories: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Vocals and Overall

Step 3 create your playlists from the Playlist button. You can easily add your songs to the playlist by navigating through your songs alphabetically but you can’t navigate by Artist, Decade or Rating. Just check the boxes to the left of the songs to add them to your playlist. You can also add songs from your Live List. When your finished just tap done. In future updates it has been hinted that automatically generated playlists will be available.

The user manual can be located here

What about new songs and new games?

I’m not sure about how this works yet and have contacted Outlaw Gaming for more info.

Should you get it?

If you have Rock Band, this app is a great app for you to use and is also a cheap app too. If you don’t have Rock Band get it anyway, your friends might want to borrow it.

How does this app rate?

Features 4/5 - Wonderful features for a great Rock Band Song Manager. All we have to wait for is the automatic playlist generator. Then this app could have perfect features.

GUI 4/5 - An easy interface, although it may confuse you for about 10 seconds then you figure it all out without looking at the manual. I usually don’t use manuals anyway. The only feature I didn’t realise until i read the manual was the search bar at the top of the screen when creating your profile.

Audio 0/5 - There is no audio. I’m not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing but maybe if you could add a way to preview songs via iTunes or something. That would make the app cooler. Maybe even a few clicking sounds for those people who love clicks.

Reuse Value 5/5 - 100% Reuse Value, you can use this app over and over again. A very handy application to keep in your pocket.

Value for Money 4/5 - I’d like to see this app reduced to 99c but still a good price for a great app.

Overall 4.25/5- I’m going to ignore the audio since it’s a little unfair that there is none. I recommend you get this app ASAP if you are a rock band fan.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I also have 2 Promo codes to give away.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    some screenshots would be nice and would helpğ break up the text...
  3. TDG

TDG Active Member

If you're playing the game, why would you need an audio preview on the app?

Decent review.
  4. danielpratt

danielpratt New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  5. danielpratt

danielpratt New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  6. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Pics, and better layout needed.
  7. danielpratt

danielpratt New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Better pictures, layout and info from User Guides Page

You can get more info and pictures from our user guides page.

However, they are for version 1.0 so we'll be updating that soon to coincide with the new features.