Rock Band v TTR3 Comparison

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by iPod.Touch, Oct 19, 2009.

1. iPod.Touch

iPod.Touch Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Rock Band.png
    So, Rock Band has been out for iPhone for less than 5 minutes compared to the time that Tap Tap has been available, but which is better?

Well, lets start with the newly released app by EA. Rock Band has been a big hit everywhere, competing with Guitar Hero. But now it's here for iPhone/iPod Touch. But the question is, is it any good?
    Tap Tap has been around for longer than some you think. (Man, I loved those 1.1.2 days...). It's always been a hit and has slowly improved over the years.

Please Register or Log in to view images

First price. Rock Band is a hefty £5.99($9.99) and Tap Tap 3 is only 59p($0.99). So, I think we'll start this comparison with a 1-0 to Tap Tap 3.

Well, we'll start with what I really noticed first about Rock Band. Speed. If you don't mind waiting three or four minutes for this app to load, then it's alight. But really, that long to open a basic application? In my eyes, that's too much of a wait. However, Tap Tap Revenge 3, which was designed especially for use on the iPhone/iPod Touch, loads in as little as 10 seconds. Pretty fast if you ask me. And that's not all, because Tap Tap is also a lot faster at loading the songs up and menus, whereas Rock Band does take at least a minute or two. By the way, in case you were wondering, I am using an iPhone 3G 3.0.1. So, it's 2-0 to Tap Tap.

The next thing that really struck me, was the song choices. I don't know about you, but I only know 5/6 songs from the whole of the Rock Band song list! However, there is a music store on the app which lets you purchase song packs for 59p($0.99). Each one contains two songs, and currently there are 5 song pack, but hopefully EA will add more in the future. Tap Tap has a much more wider range of music and quite a few of them I know of! Currently on Tap Tap Revenge 3, there are 100 free songs available for download, and on top of that, there are 7 mini-albums to purchase, each containing 6 songs. What's also included in any song you download is a theme for that song! So, it's 3-0 to Tap Tap Revenge 3.

Next, it's online play. On Rock Band, you can play with you friends over bluetooth. The good part about this is that you don't have to be playing the same instrument. You can be playing the guitar and your friend can be playing the drums. You can have up to 4 players over bluetooth, but that's it. You can't have multiplayer over Wi-Fi which is a shame. With Tap Tap Revenge 3, however, you can play over Wi-Fi and also chat to people over Wi-Fi. With multiplayer on Tap Tap 3, you are competing whereas Rock Band is more like a 'band' session, where you all play together and try to help your mates out if they fail because they thought they could do hard but couldn't. So, excluding the competing mode on Tap Tap and the band session on Rock Band (It's your own personal preference). I think that Tap Tap wins again! 4-0 to Tap Tap 3.

Final notes to add: On Rock Band, you can either play for fun(quick play), or play a career challenge where you and your band try to become a hit. You can also choose the instrument you want to play with, whether it be a guitar, bass, drums or vocals (which is total rubbish). On Tap Tap 3, you play for coins and to up your level. You can then boast about your level. Also, in Tap Tap 3 you can choose and customize a character of your choice, and buy new things for it, like a shoe, or a background.

Finally, in both apps, you can unlock achievements.

Brief Gameplay:

So, to conclude, if you want a cheap, 'pick up and play' type game where you can challenge friends and earn points then Tap Tap 3 is for you. However, if you want to play with you friends and don't mind paying an extra £5.40($9) just to have the word 'Rock Band' on your iDevice, then Rock Band's the way to go!
    And The Final Score for Rock Band Is:

Because...
    • It's very nicley polished
    • It's Rock Band
    • It has four instruments to play from
    • Bluetooth Multiplayer

• Notes are off time to the music
    • Not many well known songs
    • Too expensive
    • Slow to load
    • Not nearly as many features as Tap Tap

Final Score for TTR3 Is:

Because...
    • It has different themes for every artist
    • Wi-Fi multiplayer allows you to play with anyone from anywhere
    • Ability to play in a group over Wi-Fi
    • Cheap
    • Good artists
    • Earn points and gain levels

• Laggy on my iPhone 3G
    • Free songs from quite unknown artists
    • One 'instrument'
  2. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I like this comparison, with both screens.

Some comments:

Center your images, of couse

Put both images from both games besides eachother, to compare them better.
  3. iPod.Touch

iPod.Touch Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Thanks! Just updated the post

4. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    You need to get a new Chat image fairly sharpish.
  5. Kayzo

Kayzo Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    "However, there is a music store on the app which lets you purchase song packs for 59p($99)."

lolwut, $99?

6. iPod.Touch

iPod.Touch Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    haha! oops

gotta change that!
  7. luke104

luke104 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad 4
    Nice nice, when i get my ipod, il be sure to get both and compare myself

8. PlasticPenguin

PlasticPenguin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    nice review, taptap all the way

9. ryanangus

ryanangus Active Member

Personally I'd perfer bluetooth over WiFi for peer-to-peer, I'd much rather play with people I know than people I don't anyday.

Good review though!

10. Xandan

Xandan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Gameplay is loads better on rock band, just wish it had more songs, in a few weeks rock band will be far greater than tap tap