Rock Band 3

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by InaudibleWhisper, Jun 11, 2010.

1. InaudibleWhisper

InaudibleWhisper Member

Device:
    iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

So, Rock Band 3 was announced. Pretty insane step-up from the previous game (not that I expect Harmonix to continuously release the same game with a different setlist a la Neversoft). The first major addition to the core gameplay is a 25-key, fully functioning MIDI keyboard.

All of the standard gameplay additions such as a better story mode, more fluid, party-friendly gameplay (instantly jump in and out with any instrument), revamped song filtering system are in the game, which features 83 new songs. They've also added the 3 part vocal harmonies from The Beatles and Green Day games. Anything you learn on the keyboard (in expert mode particularly) will translate to the actual thing, and if you already have a MIDI device, you can use your own instead of Harmonix's keyboard if you buy this.

And that "actually play an instrument" mentality is now going to be covered with all instruments thanks to the addition of Rock Band Pro mode. This new music learning mode lets players develop real-world music-playing fundamentals for keyboards, guitars and drums. More realistic music notations replace the standard color-coded notes during gameplay. For guitar, numbers flow down the screen along six guitar strings, telling you where to place your hands on the neck and when to strum. How do you play Rock Band 3 in pro mode? Well, for guitar you could buy the Rock Band 3 Fender Squire --

This is a genuine, full size guitar that works as a guitar should outside of the game. It also has fret-sensing technology for your fingers which shows up in real time on the screen so you can look at the screen and see where your left-hand fingers are. It also detects strum data. Rock Band Pro mode, like the standard mode, will have easy, medium, hard and expert and will work with all 83 songs on the game, and all future DLC. When you get up to expert mode, you are playing the song on guitar. Literally. "We have arpeggio language — it does take you all the way through to Expert, which is note-for-note authoring… for ridiculous songs! Like, “Crazy Train,” or “Rainbow in the Dark,” or whatever — these songs that have blistering solos — in order to beat those songs in Pro mode on Expert, you will have to genuinely learn the song."

There will also be this cheaper MIDI Pro controller with a 17-fret neck and 6 lanes of touch buttons representing the strings:

The drums are the same, though in Pro mode the game actually recognises the cymbals if you buy the 3-cymbal pack. It will tell you when to hit a cymbal or a tom, and a second pedal will work now so you're, for the most part, playing the drums one to one, and this will work with all DLC too.

By this point you're probably either thinking "Holy sh*t! Awesome", "This is going to cost a fortune" or a bit of both. The beauty of the game is that you don't have to buy anything other than the disc, if you don't want to. Play it how you want, at any level you want. Your Rock Band/Guitar Hero drums, guitars and mics will work. If you want the keyboard, pay the extra for it. If you want the pro stuff, buy the cymbal pack and one of the guitars (it's hardly a dumb investment for a game anymore, since you're buying a legit instrument). Whatever you buy or already own, it should be a fantastic game if you're interested in the genre.

Tracklist so far:

2000s
    Combat Baby -- Metric
    Dead End Friends -- Them Crooked Vultures
    Get Free -- The Vines
    Lasso -- Phoenix
    Me Enamora -- Juanes
    Oh My God -- Ida Maria
    Portions of Foxes -- Rilo Kiley
    The Hardest Button to Button -- The White Stripes

1990s
    Been Caught Stealing -- Jane's Addiction
    In the Meantime -- Spacehog
    Plush -- Stone Temple Pilots
    Walkin' on the Sun -- Smash Mouth

1980s
    Crazy Train -- Ozzy Osbourne
    Here I Go Again -- Whitesnake
    I Love Rock and Roll -- Joan Jett
    Just Like Heaven -- The Cure
    Rainbow in the Dark -- Dio
    The Power of Love -- Huey Lewis and the News
    Sister Christian -- Night Ranger

1960s-1970s
    Bohemian Rhapsody -- Queen
    Break On Through -- The Doors
    Crosstown Traffic -- Jimi Hendrix

Rock Band 3 - First Look
    Rock Band 3 Trailer 1

Expect much more at E3
  2. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Wow, this is incredible. I'm going to buy this definately (keyboards, guitar, and drums, here I come).
  3. afredman

afredman New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Songlist is kinda weak so far, but the instruments are amazing. I'll be buying the guitar, and luckily I already have the drums, 3 cymbols, and the double bass.
  4. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Yea Weak Song list.

I still need to get Rock Band 2.
  5. DeadlyD™

DeadlyD™ New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Wait, so if you guy the real gutiar, you can learn to play it? If so, I'm so getting a bass guitar!
  6. 4NewHop3

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    It does have a weak song list, I wish they still sold RB2 where I live.
  7. InaudibleWhisper

InaudibleWhisper Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    No, you can only learn to play guitar, not bass.

I'm really liking the song list so far. Just as varied as I expected, I know and like all of these songs --

2000s
    Combat Baby -- Metric
    Dead End Friends -- Them Crooked Vultures
    Lasso -- Phoenix
    Portions of Foxes -- Rilo Kiley
    The Hardest Button to Button -- The White Stripes
    Crazy Train -- Ozzy Osbourne
    Here I Go Again -- Whitesnake
    I Love Rock and Roll -- Joan Jett
    Just Like Heaven -- The Cure
    Rainbow in the Dark -- Dio
    The Power of Love -- Huey Lewis and the News
    Bohemian Rhapsody -- Queen
    Break On Through -- The Doors
    Crosstown Traffic -- Jimi Hendrix

But then when it comes to songs, I see the set-list as nothing more than an expansion pack really (not the game itself which is undoubtedly a fully fledged sequel), since I already have about 600 songs and will be exporting Rock Band 2. There are still loads to be announced, but with the choice of almost 2000 songs available to all Rock Band 3 players from day one, there ain't much to complain about

8. 4NewHop3

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I just hope they at least have some of the RB2 songs on RB3 (A7x, Paramore, JFAC).
  9. Led

Led Banned

I'm feeling "Unbound (The Wild Ride)"
  10. InaudibleWhisper

InaudibleWhisper Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    All Rock Band DLC works on all Rock Band games (aside from The Beatles which is standalone). You'll be able to play Rock Band 2 songs in Rock Band 3, but you need the Rock Band 2 disc so you can buy an export code and download the songs onto your HDD.