Risks of Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by electrict, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. electrict

electrict New Member

I'm sure this must have been discussed many times before, but I've searched the forums and have only been able to find one old thread that's not particularly extensive. Feel free to point me in the direction of another thread if it exists!

My iPod Touch is arriving tomorrow, and having read up on the general pros and cons of jailbreaking, I'd like to go ahead and do it to install a few apps (mostly the NES emulator). I just have two questions:

1) Is there any real risk? I've heard it said that you can easily restore the iPod and get rid of everything you've done to it, but I'd like to know if there have been any cases where that's not worked. If I screw up somewhere along the line mess up the jailbreak, for example, can I just restore in iTunes to fix it?

2) Am I right in thinking that WinPwn would be the best program to use to jailbreak a new iPod? (I don't care about data loss, obviously.)

Sorry again if these questions have been asked a million times before. I just don't want to screw up my new iPod, as I don't have the money for a new one (and I presume jailbreaking voids the warranty).
  2. Zee

Zee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    1. No real risk that I can think of. I've jailbroken a few iPod touches and iPhones with no problem whatsoever.

2. Quickpwn is the way to go right now on 2.0 and above.
  3. quietkillah

quietkillah New Member

i never had a problem as well, and if it doesn't work, you can always restore.

you can use quickpwn or winpwn.
  4. electrict

electrict New Member

Brilliant, thanks.

I presume that, if I use QuickPwn, I can just leave the boot logos bit unchecked? I don't particularly want to change mine.
  5. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    There are no real risks.
    The chances of bricking an iPod touch is incredibly low. Just don't pull out the usb cable when uploading firmware.
    And if something does go wrong, search around the forum for some guide on fixing your iPod.
    If you can't seem to find the answer, post a thread about your problem.
  6. ELLDAWG

ELLDAWG Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    ive never had any problems that stoped my ipod from working, any problems ive had have been resolved and got the info from this site
  7. whysoserious

whysoserious New Member

okai look it this way, it is IMPOSSIBLE to damage the ipod via software modification (jailbreaking/pwning). ive encounterd some problems tho, like flasshing boot screen, bricked ipod. well the thing is there isent anything called BRICKING, only thing happens is that you cant turn your ipod on. Put just put it in DFU-mode and restore

Please Register or Log in to view images

DFU-mode is the answer to fixing your ipod.

now i think you should use WinPwn 2.5 it's great and easy to follow

get it at http://www.winpwn.com/

Now have fun and pwn your ipod

hope i helped a bit here

8. MrFairladyz

MrFairladyz Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Quickpwn is the best so far...

use this tutorial, the one you want is the last tutorial on the page..."quickpwn 2.0.2 no restore needed"

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92404

nothing will go wrong, just read it carefully and do exactly what it says.
    just restore and try again if u fail
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    yeah just uncheck it....
  9. guardian

guardian New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Um, yeah I just thought about this and I don't really like it.

Is there anyway for the authorities (police or whatever you have)
    to track us down or something?
    - I am using my mums visa card, and my Itouch is Jailbroken... I'm just worried here guys

I know that you still get a receipt for whatever you bought whether you paid for it or not.

so basically to make it easier to understand:
    Is there anyway for Apple or the Police to tell if you're not paying for your stuff?
    Are there any other Risks I should know about?
    and also out of curiosity
    does anyone know how jailbreaking works? like 'it reroutes the system so you don't have to pay' or something

10. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Well, the iPod uploads any crash logs to the server upon sync, among other things... so I'd honestly suggest you restore your iPod and buy all your apps. To start.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.