RISE UP! Join me in the most noblest and awesomest of causes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mateo, Dec 10, 2009.

1. mateo

mateo Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    First off I would like to tell you a story. The story of a younger me. A few years ago the world beheld the awesome technology of the iPhone. Never before had such great technology been so portable. I admired it, but knew that I would never have one as I had no job, had poor parents, and didn't have At&t anyway. Then the ipod touch came out. From the moment I laid eyes on it I wanted one, and as soon as I got $320 in my hand I got one. Now, 2 years later, it sits beside me. Giving me push email notifications, playing my music, and waking me up in the morning with a beautiful customized "Blue Island" Winterboard theme running 3.0 jailbroken. All of this is possible thanks to great minds hacking and typing code in an endless dance of improving the software on the ipod touch and finding the loopholes in this software in order to jailbreak it.

For once, I want to contribute something instead of just leeching off of it.

Here is my proposition: WE MAKE A CAMERA ACCESSORY FOR THE IPOD TOUCH!

I first got the idea when I took apart my washed (but functional) lg 8100. I had in my hands a fully functional 1.3mp camera (the module inside the phone) and an awesome iPod touch with NO camera and 8gb of internal storage! I posted a thread here trying to find a place to start but quickly tired of the idea and moved on.

WE CAN DO IT. We have the capabilities to write our own software for the ipod touch WITHOUT approval from apple (I'm sure they wouldn't approve, after all they have seemingly been purposely not putting a camera on the damn thing). And we can make the hardware. The biggest question before we can start assembling the hardware and writing the software is this:

How do you write an app that can access hardware attatched to the ipod touch's port... Oh, and what do you call that port? This is the biggest and, well, the only true roadblock I see in the way of this project. I cannot do it alone, I need YOU. Just think, we can be the elite few with CAMERA'S on our ipod touches! and imagine the amazement to everyone who sees it! Our potential audience IS limited to the jailbreaking community, but with the popularity of the ipod touch, and the relative ease of jailbreaking now a days, I'm sure that that is a good amount. So, will YOU be a part of this? Will you enlist yourself in a program to try to create something worthwile?
  2. Sarcasm Siempre

Sarcasm Siempre New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    People have said they would do this many times before. Never happened.
  3. kingcoolryan

kingcoolryan Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    lol after reading your post then sarcasm's post ... i felt like your dreams got crushed

Please Register or Log in to view images

pritty cool idea though but wouldnt it be annoying cause you would need to mount it on the ipod some how
  4. RoYaLx

RoYaLx Member

Device:
    HTC One
    How would you attach it to the iPod?
  5. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Through the USB I'm assuming.
  6. mateo

mateo Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Some other notes:

I realize that failure is a possibility. I am ok with that, and the only way to find out is to try.

The hardware should be fairly cheap, I don't know how much a camera module costs, and am researching that right now. I'd estimate the hardware for a camera accessory to be about $10-$30, and of course we could sell them for significantly more (people would DEFINITELY buy them).

IF this project really takes off then it needs a name. Project touche'? no stupid... Project Camera? no to bland... Project Touche'Camera? no to stupid and bland... Project Capture? hmm maybe... Project Civan? hmm kinda like it and just made up that word... Project Vitaz? just made that one up too... Let me know what you think it should be named.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    yes but I'm not saying I'm going to do it. I'm asking if WE will partake of this project. I will do everything that I can, but I don't even know how to write an app, muchless write one that can control a camera, or BUILD a camera.

and I thought it was clear that it would attatch to the 32 pin connector on the bottom of the ipod touch like those mic's that were made, or the griffin itrips (fm transmitters)

and my dreams have not been crushed. I am merely the voice of opportunity. I know this project is way beyond me, its up to YOU guys what happens here. So I can see sarcasm doesn't want to try, what of the other 5,000 of you? (or however many people are on this forum I have no idea lol)
  7. APV

APV Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    We just need to make a well-known iPod touch case-making company make a case that has the camera, a battery, maybe a better speaker and built-in mic, etc.... small little things. (maybe the camera could be 3mp and record video as well) and sell it for like $79. (Since that's a little more than the price for regular batter cases) it would obviously be slim and cool and not bulky and ugly, it would be $79, people wont buy ugly-case for $79. And maybe that would be cool if apple could be awesome and add capability to make it work with a built-in camera app. or there could just be a custom made app.

Since everyone who could purchase it wont all be owners of hacked iPods.

Just an idea.... don't need to make petitions and hold design thread's or anything...
  8. mateo

mateo Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    thats a great idea, but as it stands now,there is NO camera for the ipod touch. We could create the camera then that would pave the way for this crazy case you speak of. (also IF it could be made for $79, then it would be awesome, but I doubt that that is a realistic price)
    Oh, and just a thought on the jailbroken app: all it would have to do is display what the camera is seeing. If it can at least do that, then you can simply take a picture by taking a screenshot! also, it could be a very simple app, but whenever you choose the "camera" tab at the bottom, the menu bar on the bottom and top would have to hide until you tapped the screen again.
    aaaaaaaaaaand this thread is dead.... Well ipod touch fan forums, Opportunity knocked on your door and asked to take part in something great. Something wonderful. Something that would change the world of ipod\iphone hacking all together. But you shrugged it off. I pity you, person who read this thread and did nothing. For it is rare for a chance to be part of something really great is ever presented to you in such a way. Hopefully you will not pass up other opportunities that come your way.