RipDEV chasing Cydia success with 'Icy'. Installer5 to replace Installer4.

Discussion in 'Latest Tech News and Rumors' started by studangerous, Mar 29, 2009.

1. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Is the ongoing disappointment with RipDEV set to continue? Following the recent release of the Mac OS desktop prog InstallerApp (priced at $7!), which SkylarEC has already suggested repository owners may want to consider blocking as it leeches without serving up advertising used to pay for bandwidth, the RipDEV team today released Icy, a direct competitor to Cydia.

Icy is free and will apparently complement the soon-to-be-released Installer5 that will replace Installer4. Despite their mild digs at Saurik and Cydia in their blog the RipDEV team state that they intend to make sure Icy and Installer exist peacefully alongside Cydia.

Update/ Early reports are not good... there's a definite step forward in RipDEV's development, a lot like the sleekness of the app and, so far, there's been no reports of a SWOD. However we advise that you don't use Icy at the moment. When installed Icy sets itself up as an Essential Package, which means it kicks up warning messages when you try and uninstall it. Then there's the fact that, similar to InstallerApp, it leeches bandwidth from repositories without serving the ads that fund the server use. Also, considering the reponses in this thread, IPTF members are already reporting they've seen Icy freeze, crash, not update and lag. Kick icy into touch for now and stick with Cydia is our advice. Lets hope RipDEV can pull themselves together for Installer5, but we won't be holding our breath.

Update#2/ A few select tweets from RipDEV & Saurik from the 24hrs after Icy release provide more detail on the pros & cons of Icy.

Full story on the RipDEV blog. More details & 'how to install' on the Icy RipDEV page.

Brief reviews of Icy by thehitman here and moabal here.
  2. Mircix

Mircix Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I think I'll stick with cydia
  3. ITBRTI

ITBRTI Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    ^ Agreed
  4. AmazingNachos

AmazingNachos Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i still don't think it will work.
  5. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

Ohh, some competition. Looks cool.
  6. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well, RIPdev realized that no one uses installer four because it sucks. Cydia is now the frontrunner on 2.x and maybe 3.x firmwares. I guess Icy is a way to keep RIPdev moving until Installer 5, which will be a way to redeem themselves from the failure of installer 4.
  7. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    looks ok, but after they update cydia they might catch up. also, i dont want to have so many installers!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Cydia
    Installer 4
    Installer 5
    Icy

Now, if someone made an app with all of those combined, and it reads all of the jailbroken things you've downloaded so you don't have to keep switching apps to remove, that'd be sweet

Please Register or Log in to view images

Maybe just a Universal Uninstaller?
  8. Heffe

Heffe New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Is it coming soon or is it out now..?
    I probably will stick with Cydia but icy looks sexy xD
  9. RainbowKT

RainbowKT New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch