Rip-Off Dev?!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by lauNchD, Feb 3, 2009.

1. lauNchD

lauNchD Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Hi!

Some of you may know that RipDev (alleged "friends" of the DevTeam) have their own (stupid) alternative to Cydia, Installer. What most of you don't know, however, is that they even have their own jailbreak app called Pusher which only "pushes" Installer onto the device. It says it doesn't modify your ystem files, which is partly incorrect because Installer is installed on the system partition. It also says it doesn't void your warranty, which is complete bull**** because it uses the same DFU exploit as Pwnage/QuickPwn. In addition, I'm not sure if they did it with or without the Dev Team's knowledge or permission, they copied half of QuickPwn into their app. All firmware bundles from QuickPwn can be found inside Pusher, as well as references to BootNeuter (probably just a side effect). They even copied the "beep" sound files (to help you get the timing right for entering DFU mode) from QuickPwn! As you know, Dev Team software is copyrighted software; nobody can modify it without their permission. RipDev didn't mention the Dev Team anywhere on their Pusher page.
    What do you think about this? Do you think RipDev legitmately got those files from the Dev Team?

Attached Files:

2. marko

marko New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    dont know how they got the files. but its prob no different to the hundreds of GUIs been pushed on here now is it????

and dont know how long youve been around, but in the 1.1.x days there was ONLY installer and its what everyone used to install apps on a JB iopod. i remember the days when cydia came out and no one was going to use it because they didnt like the interface compared to installer. do you remember those days???

its only because the support for the app went off the boil (i think one team took it over from another) and because cydia developed so well that things changed. but it could all have been different, and you wou.dnt be calling it "stupid" then!
  3. ZunePod

ZunePod Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    His main argument is about the blatant copying of QuickPwn
  4. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

what do you expect. crappy software(installer), crappy developer.

for guy on first post: they got the files from the quickpwn ramdisk/resources.
  5. lauNchD

lauNchD Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I jailbroke my iPod in the first half hour I had it! (December 12, 2007 6:20-7:00 AM Middle-European time)

Please Register or Log in to view images

I liked Installer 3.x, but when 2.0 came out and RipDev redesigned it, it was crappy, buggy and only had a small percentage of what Cydia had. Plus, the original developers of Installer, NullRiver, said they would release Installer's source code (so everybody can contribute to it and make it better + more stable) but never did. Cydia was open-source from the start and wasn't as "commercial" as Installer (4.x)

@GJB: I think the only thing they didn't copy from the jailbreak back-end (not the GUI) was the Ramdisk, because they didn't want you to have the freedom of choice (between Installer+Cydia) the Dev Team offers you

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. giannaros

giannaros New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    "Jailbreaking" just to have installer is not worth it.
  7. andybno1

andybno1 Banned

cydia was also around for 1.x it just wasn't as well used and pushed out in the publics eye as installer was
  8. strchris

strchris New Member

Rip-Devs software has forced me to restore so many times on 1.1.x, i still have nightmares about Kate. I just hope that their new "Anti-Crack" software won't hit it off in the iPhone-dev community, I do NOT want to pay for something that has Rip-dev in it.