Ringer volume VS Normal volume?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NinetyFour, Sep 26, 2010.

1. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hey, so I am having some trouble understanding what exactly is the difference between the "ringer" volume and the normal volume? Sometimes when I press the volume buttons it says "ringer" other times it does not. Now, to my understanding, the ringer volume controls the ringtone volume obviously and it is toggled when you adjust volume while no sound is being played. And the normal volume is for when sound is playing. But what volume does the mute switch mute? Ringer or normal? Also, which volume does the keyboard clicks lie under?

I also have experienced that while using the pal-ringo app, the volume that appears when I press the volume buttons is normal volume, but the beeps and sounds used by pal-ringo can only be turned down if you turn down ringer volume. So if I want to turn down the beeps, I have togo to the homescreen, then turn it down.
  2. ryanangus

ryanangus Active Member

When something is being played (ie. volume bar on the screen) the volume buttons modify those - otherwise you're adjusting ringer/alert volume.

In settings you can merge the two functions and have one universal volume control, as how it used to be.
  3. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Where is this setting?
  4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

where

sorry for necropost but the answer is missing,
    where is this setting to combine volume things? I searched in all possible settings without any result
  5. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    After the 4.2 update, you can set whether to turn off the Ringer Volume setting. So, by pushing the volume buttons you control the media volume, and the ringer volume stays intact.

Settings>Sounds>Ringer and Alerts