Review RHA SA950i

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by tinyman392, Nov 6, 2012.

1. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Headphone Review: RHA SA950i
    RHA | On-Ear Headphones | $ 59.95

[​IMG]

RHA has always had one sole mission, to offer high-quality audio at an affordable price. Packaging this ideal together with great comfort really makes new SA950i something that I’m more than willing to recommend at an entry-level 50 dollars. They represent another great bang for the buck from RHA.

Specifications
    • Driver: 40 mm Dynamic
    • Frequency Response: 16 Hz – 22 kHz
    • Impedance: 32 ohm
    • Sensitivity: 113 dB
    In the Box
    • RHA SA960i
    • Audio Cable with Remote and Mic
    [​IMG]
    RHA really didn’t package much with these headphones. I wouldn’t expect it either from a pair of 50 dollar headphones.

Design

A dark smooth plastic housing is held on the headphones by 2 metal forks. The housings have a hint of blue in the right light while the leather that surrounds the headband gives the headphones a more vintage feel. The additional leather textures surround the RHA logo that holds the forks in their position. The headphones have a beautiful glossy finish to them that keeps them attractive and professional.

[​IMG]
    The aesthetics of the SA950i looks gorgeous.

Design: ★★★★

Audio

The RHA offer a warm lush sound that has a nice mid-bass focus to it. They are very musical with good punch, and ample depth. The highs can get a bit out of line at times despite being well controlled.

Bass

The low end is well tuned on the new SA950i. They have a nice strong impact that strikes with a bit of authority behind it. The punch isn’t lost, or overwhelmed in anyway though as it still remains nice and tight with an average sense of speed. There is good bass presence and an ample body to the bass when it’s needed. The sub-bass is there, and present with good overall texturing although it could go an octave or two lower.​

Bass: ★★★★½

Mids

The midrange is very consumer friendly having a beautiful lushness behind them with vocal sweetness that is just as beautiful. I have to say that these headphones render vocal dynamics an almost perfect fashion. The clarity is nice and strong overall, but detailing can seem a bit lost at times, especially in the lower midrange region. Instrumental dynamics isn’t as strong as the vocals, but the timbre is still rendered nicely.​

Mids: ★★★★½

Highs

In contrast with the highs, the mids and bass are on another level. The highs that the SA950i perform attempt to keep the warmth and lushness of the headphones intact. It does a great job with this, but sacrifices the lower highs extension, but overall detailing and presence are fine though. The higher highs gain a bit more energy to the party. They are detailed well with ample separation. A slight sibilance behind them can deter from this section. Extension can be improved up here though as well.​

Highs: ★★★★

Audio: ★★★★½

Build

With the SA950i, the build quality has its ups and downs, it is definitely the weak link of the headphones. There is no pouch or case included with the SA950i, so users will have to protect it themselves while its not in use. Although it shouldn’t be too large of a problem, I would rather at least a pouch were included with the SA950i.

The housings are held together by a strong metal fork that slides up and down to adjust the length. They connect into two holes on the plastic housing. Although this plastic looks very nice, it’s prone to blemishes pretty easily. The quality of the plastic really doesn’t seem to be the highest, but it is thicker and will protect the housings.

[​IMG]
    The housings’ plastic is very soft and prone to dings.

The headband has a single rectangular strip going through it. This strip itself is surrounded by a leather-like fabric that is stitched together. The headband feels very strong internally and most likely won’t snap within the lifetime of the headphones. It’s definitely a step up from the housings.

[​IMG]
    The headband, contrary to the housings, is very strong.

RHA includes a removable cable with their SA950i. This cable is fabricated like the CA200’s cable. The cable itself is very thing and prone to tangling quite a bit. It has a bit of strength behind them, but don’t feel as firm as I’d like them too. Part of this is due to the thinness and overly-flexible nature of the cable.

Both ends of the cable use the same exact jack. It is a straight connected gold-plated headphone jack. The main bulk of the jack is small, but feels very strong and firm. However, the strain relief that comes out of it is a lot like the cable. It’s small and overly flexible.

[​IMG]
    The headphone jack really has it’s ups and downs.

Build: ★★★

Comfort

The comfort takes a huge positive turn from the build quality. RHA equipped the SA950i with very soft padding. This padding is very comfortable and the fit about perfect for me. The clamping force isn’t over bearing either while the headband is nice and soft. The combination of these aspects makes the light headphones easy to listen to for hours.

[​IMG]
    The pads are just one of the reason the fit and feel of the headphones are perfect.

Comfort: ★★★★

Value

These headphones cost about 60 dollars. I must say, they are an amazing deal sonically speaking. The comfort and non-hideous design really are both selling points for this affordable headphone. Yes, the build can be a bit better. For 60 bucks though, I really can’t complain much. The headphones look fine, feel great on the ears, but most importantly sound amazing for the price.

[​IMG]
    A remote and mic are included with the headphone’s cable.

Value: ★★★★½

Final Thoughts

RHA has done a great job offering good quality headphones at an extremely affordable price. The SA950i has been added to the list of great bang for the buck headphones that offer strong sonic qualities that won’t cost you an arm or a leg. They are definitely well worth a recommendation.

I’d like to thank RHA for the product sample.

Overall Score
    [​IMG]
    † All prices are in US currency.
    This review was written by the iFans.com Review Team. Cumulative scores are rounded to the nearest half or full star.
    This accessory, product, or app was received as a sample. Thanks RHA for the product sample.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  2. Steqheu

Steqheu Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    This looks REALLY good on iFans 2.0