Reviews on Sony DR-BT22A

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by imranh101, Jul 31, 2009.

1. imranh101

imranh101 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Hello everyone, I am here to tell you today about the Sony DR-BT22A headphones.
    I got them amazingly cheap - around $33 shipped - they are $99 headphones!
    How ever sadly they only had a couple left, and the cheap store is now out of stock - you can still pick them up for around $50 or $35 if you don't mind refurbished (I got mine new).
    I got them on Amazon from electronics Expo's store, but they have their own site. Here is the link to the page, which does also say that they are out of stock.
    They have $8 shipping, but the headphones were only $25 so even with the shipping it was soooo cheap, I could not refuse.
    One more thing, I ordered these Saturday night, and they got here about 12:30 noon on Friday... I live in kansas. So shipping time is not too bad at all...

The First Look
    Arrived in a blister type package, but actually needed no scissors which was nice. The back plastic piece basically peeled off, it has a couple of places where it is physically attached, but weakly enough to be pulled by hand and some places with a little sticky glue stuff.
    I know it may be weird to talk about packaging, but for some reason that seemed like a nice little incentive - no retarded packaging that is so thick you have to rip out your hair over it... (some kid is gonna slice his wrists trying to open those one day - I swear it, no lie)
    Opening it I got a warranty card, manual, charger, and *gasp* headphones!
    Manual is not too bad, about 30 pgs. but in English and Spanish, so only about 15 pgs. of information really.
    Charger is small, but some complaints were that the plug piece does not fold in, so they think that means its not compact and portable... But what the heck its already nice and small, maybe 2 inches long, 1 wide and 3/4 thick.
    I am one of those people who opens it and tries it...
    So I did and after it went into pairing mode it powered off....
    Needed to charge first, but hey can't blame me for trying.
    So I charged for about 30 minutes - wanted to be sure it worked before spending the suggested 3 hours charging it.
    So I did and it paired easily - took no time for ipod to see it, but took about 15 seconds for it to really be ready.

The Headphones
    It is collapsible at 3 points - the very top of the headband and right above each ear.
    Now, it is a strange collapse system - but works nicely...
    I have made a picture to explain it here.
    I think the picture kinda explains it but anyway - instead of folding straight in like a hinge, the parts above the ear TURN in... so the headband collapses like a hinge and the ears swing in. Kinda weird but you get the point...

Sound Quality

Range is 14 - 24 khz, which isn't bad at all...
    First time using it sounded muffled - but after changing the EQ sounded great!
    Beautiful bass, clean highs, and perfect mids. Volume is loud enough that most people would get pain listening at highest volume.

Physical Attributes

The headphones, though collapsible, feel very durable.
    Some people had complained that upon putting them in jean pockets that they broke... But are you really supposed to put them in jean pockets?
    Others said putting them in coat pockets / bags were fine, however.

The problems
    The one major flaw would have to be something I could care less for...
    I don't have a cell phone (WTH?!?!, right? I know, dont ask)
    But there is only one button besides power, volume, and rew/fwd.
    It controls calling, hanging up, receiving, and everything else phone related, and apparently a lot of people complained it was too hard remembering the things like 3 seconds to hang up, 5 to call, etc. but again I can't say as I don't use these functions.

Buttons
    The volume button is designed sort of like the iPod, press up for louder, down for quieter.
    There is also the afore mentioned "Multi function" button
    The Rew/Fwd is different however (though I cant use it)
    It is the slider type... You slide it forward to fast forward and push it back to rewind. The strange thing, yet neat is that you push it in to play / pause. It is very nice that they were able to get all those functions in one place without too much BS if you know what I mean.

The Looks
    The headphones also look OK, and aren't the type that seem to make you look "Frankenstein-y" - I also find them quite comfortable. It is adjustable just below the collapsing part of the ears, as any over the head headphones should be. All the controls are on the right ear. There is also a reset button on the bottom of the same right ear, which is only press-able with a pin or other thin object.
    ALSO on the right ear is 2 lights - a "red" light and a blue light.
    Why did I put red in quotes? It looks more pink to me!
    How pink? Look at the pink around the edge of this smiley :

Please Register or Log in to view images

That is about what it looks like to me. I don't know why it's that color, or why they called it red - but I really don't care!
    The ONLY thing on the left ear is the power plug in, which is small - not sure the exact size, maybe 2mm?

Other Stuff

I would agree with the range said on the box - about 30 feet. I was able to go that range through 2 walls, so that is kind of impressive.
    Charge time is also around correct as said in the manual - about 3 hours.
    Haven't run out the batteries yet, am running about 3 hours without charging so far.
    The FFwd and Rev. buttons don't work but as with any other bluetooth headset this connected to the iPod, this is common.
    Also, the headphones cut out when the microwave runs, but that is not the headphones - that is bluetooth itself, which runs on the same frequency as the microwave. So I'm not concerned.

In Conclusion
    I know some people will think otherwise, but I think Sony is always known to make quality stuff - and I think this product follows that tradition!
    I can't think of anything else to say... If you have questions I'll answer them to the best of my abilities.
    Sorry this is such a long review but I think that a good review should include lots of info - like this one.
    Buy these if you want good quality, comfortable wear, good sound, and a good price (Even if you pay $50 still better than them $40 S9's.)

The Aftermath
    Now I am wondering about 2 things...
    1. Do you think they will ever add AVRCP control fully (FFW, REW.)?
    2. I am 99.99% sure this is the iPod, but could use some help if there is a cure.
    As I'm sure you noticed, when you connect your BT headset, there is a small button that you can use when listening to music to quickly change from headset to speaker.
    However whenever I turn off my headset and iPod, (Mot turn off fully, but standby) the headset disconnects and I have to go back into the settings and go to general and click on my headset - its still there, but i have to click on it to reconnect it...
    Just a small annoyance...
    So a question here is:
    Is there something that allows me to connect my headset without having to go through all that trouble? Maybe an SBSettings something?
    Or, if I pause the music, does that put the headset into "standby" mode, meaning the battery lasts 180 hrs or whatever, or would it have to be fully off?
    Because if I just pause the music, the headset stays connected - but if thats gonna eat up the 8 hr battery life then I'd rather just connect it everytime.
    Thanks guys for critiquing and not getting angry. Any help is appreciated.
  2. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I didn’t even bother reading this review THE REASON:

No paragraphing.

It just makes it a chore to read.
  3. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I actually have to agree. It is quite hard to read. Maybe put some bold sub-headings and for a paragraph, make sure it's actually a whole gap in between each.
  4. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Do what they said and you'll have a readable review.
  5. Akiyama Mio

Akiyama Mio Member

Fixed as best as I could, only paragraphing though. Good enough, I suppose.
  6. imranh101

imranh101 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Ok - I'll fix it up a little - and sorry, this is my first real review of something besides a quick 2 sentences on Amazon.
    Other than the stated issue, is the information pretty good? I'm also adding something to it when I edit it.
    There, redone and I do agree it looks a beast better. <3 thanks guys
  7. Pasc

Pasc New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Got the same Headphones and I love them !

Some things to add:

about the general settings thing you have to do everytime... sadly thats the truth, there is no sbsettings toggle yet to do that for your.

Also I noticed using the Ipod as Bluetooth Dongle works fine and has a higher range as my TMR-BT10 Sony Dongle (it also lets me control play/pause using the headphones, but forward/rewind doesn't work yet.. blame apple).

Still the Ipod Touches Bluetooth Quality sucks compared to the Sony Dongle (it sounds much better even it has a lower range).

The Headphones will work for one day (maybe 1/1/2 if you aren't listening the whole day) before they need to be recharged.

Also beware!: if you use the ipod's internal bluetooth instead of a dongle that will drain its battery faster.
  8. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ah a much better layout *Gives thumbs up*
  9. imranh101

imranh101 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Yay! I got a thumbs up from (from what i've seen) the headphones master on this forum

Now any answers to those questions :O
  10. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I can read it now.

Decent review. Could be better, though. Just keep practicing.