[Review] Zenonia

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by seanG, Jun 5, 2009.

1. seanG

seanG Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)

Please Register or Log in to view images

App Review for: Zenonia

Developer: Gamevil Inc.

Price: $5.99

Category: Games; RPG

Intro, My Description, and View

It's very hard for a developer to mimic and try to fulfill and live up to expectations set by a fantastic series. In this case it was Gamevil Inc. with the Zelda series. Let me say that Zenonia pretty much lives up to it and really gives and brings you that great experience of an adventure RPG right to your iPhone/iPod. I always loved to play Zelda when I was little and I and many others probably had doubts about Zenonia since it was claiming to be Zelda-Like. Bottom line: Comparisons like that aren't usually a good idea if you're not willing to go the extra mile and really put a lot of time and effort into it.

(First actual enemies that you fight)

(Your stats screen)

Game play and Story

Frame rate on this game is very very smooth. The actual game play is very similar to most Zelda games for GB and GBA. Even feels a little bit like Wind Waker for GC. That might just say it all for most people. Heck even the main character "Regret" kinda looks like Link in a way when you're playing you can hardly tell the difference. Story is well built. Basically it's like a full-blown GBA game. Not a bad thing - it's a great thing. It's pretty cool how we could have games like this that are GBA-like and have games that are more PSP-like such as NFSU. For a while games in the App Store were more for if you're bored or whatever, waiting for an airplane and stuff like that. Not much of a game console at all. But Zenonia really shows how there can be full games made with many hours of game play. When you first start it up you come to the main menu with "Continue", "New Game", "Options", "Help", and "More Games". Very self-explanatory so no need to really go into much detail about it. When you select "New Game" you can choose to be "Paladin", "Warrior", or "Assassin". The game revolves around "Regret" a little boy from a small village. You go around completing various tasks for people. Leveling system and combat are very well designed and thought out. When you're in combat it displays the enemy's level and even shows their heath bar. You fight various "demons" and such. Fighting various bosses along the way.

(Main Menu)

(Village that you start in)

Controls and Graphics

The graphics/visuals are very beautiful and artistic. More of the cartoon look that is very nice. Controls are very easy to use and make it as efficient as possible to play. You have an action button which lets you attack enemies, pick up items, talk to people, and everything on the right and a control pad on the left for movement. Very easy and responsive to use.

Sounds and Music

The sounds are just great and the music can be really calming. Really gets you in the mood and draws you in to keep playing.

Replay Value

Hey, any RPG or game that has this many hours of game play always has a great replay value in my opinion. Always can go back and collect things that you might not have done or do side things that you might not have had a chance to do. Overall probably one of the best replay values in the App Store.

Bad Points of the Game

• Tend to get stuck in the game a lot. Which isn't really that much of a bad thing but it is for impatient people, but just one of those things that is also a good thing that can make it challenging for you.

• Game starts off maybe a little slow.

• Might be a little pricey for some people.

My Rating

I give this a solid 5/5 stars because it's just feels really complete and well put together. I recommend it for any RPG fan and a great buy that you can't go wrong with and hopefully more games like this will be made.

Attached Files:

2. JoeyB

JoeyB Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Reading this makes me think I might get this app if they put it on sell btw great review.
    OT:This game has the looks of pokemon a little bit :b.
  3. seanG

seanG Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Thanks Joey. This is only my first so I could get better.

4. Tourniquet.

Tourniquet. Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    got the game already, JUST BUY IT, it is awsome!

thinking of pokemon, why does nobody make a pokemon app? just like yellow in the good old days, that would be awsome!

5. JoeyB

JoeyB Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Yea, I'd buy a pokemon app but I guess thats why there is emulators :/.
  6. whosdifferent

whosdifferent Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
  7. Yangydoodles

Yangydoodles New Member

Yeah, but that's only for people who have jailbroken iPhones/iPod Touches. I mean, it can't hurt making a Pokemon game as an app, there's a pretty big market there; plus we know that the hardware can handle it, as you can play on emulators...:/.

But then again, I'm not an expert in porting/hardware/designing or anything, so I could just be talking crap.

---

Anyway, off-topic, this looks fairly promising. I'll probably buy it and give it a try.

Great review, thanks.
  8. seanG

seanG Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Yeah, just give it a try. I wasn't too sure about it then I got it and was surprised with it.

*Fixed some spelling and and added a little more.
  9. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    this is supposed to be a good game.

still, dunno whether to get it 0.o
  10. ralphbananas

ralphbananas New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    its awesome!!!1!1!!!1