[Review] Word Play! Online

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Parrappa, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Parrappa

Parrappa New Member

Word Play! Online
    Not your grandmothers morning crossword puzzle

Please Register or Log in to view images

Word Play! Online is a wonderful game compatible for iPod touch/iPhone and I must say it plays great. When you open it, you get a beautiful menu with eye-catching colors and buttons that really make you just want to stare. Some applications have the content, but not the polish. This baby has it all though.

What is it? Word Play! Online is a game much like boggle, but with many more hours of fun. Granted, I've never played boggle, it didn't stop me from picking this up. It's quite simple really, you get 4x4 grid of letters and you have to match them up to make words. You get three minutes to make the magic happen.

Okay, whats the big deal? While there are a few games that play like this, I think it's biggest appeal, by far, is the online play. When you first boot it up, you have the option of selecting "Play Online". From there, you make your account, choose from a list of cute avatars, and your into the lobby. You can select a room and then you wait for others to join. Room waiting times usually are very short, maybe 10-20 seconds and you get a full lobby of people. Whoever has the most unique amount of words (a word not found by anyone else in the game) gets points, thus giving them a win. After each game, it shows all the possible word combinations and what words your opponents selected.

Adding to the buzz: This app is like an ice cream sunday. It's already fantastic, but with a cherry, it's like heaven. This app has a few things to keep you coming back for more. For one, it has online leaderboards. Here, you can track exactly where you are in the world by sorting by points, wins, or skill rank. It has all the stats neatly and nicely displayed for you.

There is no way this app can get any better... Can it? You betcha! Word Play! Online has an achievement like system. They are called trophies and you earn them for doing certain "special" things. They are displayed at the bottom of the screen at start up. I'm not sure about you, but as long as I have something to work for, I can keep coming back for hours.

Just when you thought it was over... It also has a very awesome feature allowing you to challenge people. If you challenge someone, they get a code and they must enter it in their game, and well, you do the math. Most points wins.

Honestly, there are no faults with this game. You will find it to be polished to the highest caliber. You will be in ecstasy that first time you get a win. All in all, this game is great. You will keep coming back for more, trying to improve your ranks online and learning new words as well. It's incredibly simple too, so anyone can play it.

I also contacted the developer Devare to get his inputs on the game and his future plans. You can read it below.

Attached Files:

2. Parrappa

Parrappa New Member

P.S: It's only 99 Cents for today! So grab it before it goes up!
  3. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Very nice. Especially contacting the developer.

You might not want to center all the text though. It looks awkward. Just an opinion.
  4. Education

Education Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I agree with everything Radish said. Excellent work on posting up a little interview with the developers and the text does indeed look a bit awkward although it might just be me.
  5. Parrappa

Parrappa New Member

Thanks, I'm not sure why I didn't pick up on that. I usually have a keen eye for those things. Fixed it anyway. Glad you two like the review.
  6. ScubaOne

ScubaOne New Member

7. Sophia

Sophia New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Great review, I grabbed it when it was free, but I would have GLADLY paid for it. It's a lovely game, even though I always end up on the last place. I got a surprise trophy but I won't spoil your surprises so not tellin... just sayin don't play late at night