[Review] Warfare Incorporated

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by CoN317, Jul 2, 2009.

1. CoN317

CoN317 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    App Name: Warfare Incorporated
    Creator: Spiffcode, Inc.
    Version: 1.5
    Release Date: December 03, 2008
    Genre: Strategy/RTS
    Price: $4.99

Introduction:
    Warfare Incorporated looked very promising when I first came across it. Resembling classic strategy games such as Starcraft and Warcraft III, I decided to give it a try. Upon opening the game, I was surprised when I was not greeted by any game music at all. In fact, it was a very dull opening screen. My interest for this game began to slowly deplete.

Settings: When opening the game, you have the options of "Play Game", "Load Saved Game", "Options", "Add-On Mission Packs", "Forums", and "Help". I touched the "Options" tab and was disappointed to see a very limited amount of game options. You have the ability to customize to tweak the game speed (controls the speed of the game progression), scroll speed (controls how fast you can move around the screen by scrolling), and difficulty options of easy, normal, and hard.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Help/Tutorials:
    In the main screen of the game, there is a help tab you can click on. It provides detailed categories on how to play the game. Some of the categories you might find are Getting Started, Game Play Controls, In Game Menu, Personnel, Vehicles, Tips, Add On Packs, and of course credits. In the help menu, there is also a very detailed story background which is quite interesting suprisingly. The help menu has a excellent setup with "back" buttons and a full index/table of contents. One of the best help screens in a ipod game I have ever seen. There is also a tutorial that goes alongside the game which also helps you in a more visual style of learning the aspects of how to play and win the game.

Story:
    The story of this game isn't amazing, but it will keep you interested. The story is about two rival mining companies, ACME Corp and OMNI Corp who have landed on a planet called Icarus. Icarus is filled with massive fields of Galaxmite which is the galaxy's most valuable mineral. ACME has also found some sort of alien artifact. ACME then decides to set up a base where scientists will investigate this. I will not go into the story anymore so I don't spoil it, but I will say that OMNI and ACME fight for Icarus.

Gameplay:
    Now what we have all been waiting for. The point of this game is extremely similar to Warcraft III (if you have played that before, you know what im talking about). Playing the game is simple, you start out with two robots and some sort of base. The base allows you to create power generating buildings which allow you to create even more buildings. Each building has its own purpose. To collect money, which is need for training troops, you have a robot which gathers nearby Galaxmite and returns it to the Galaxmite Processor. To create a Galaxmite Processor, you first need power. For power, you create power generators. These are essential for completing missions. Galaxmite Processors have limited storage so you will need to create Storage Warehouse in order to collect more Galaxmite. Each mission's objectives are displayed conviently in the top left corner. To win the mission, you will probably need a Human Resource Center, for creating Guards, and a Vehicle Transport Station, which will create vehicles. To shorten this up, the gameplay consists of you completing several missions in the game and other user-made missions which can be downloaded from the game. The gameplay is sometimes slow, but that's normal for a strategy game. Killing other enemies in the game is fun, and requires a bit of strategy. The units you can train and spawn are limited. Hopefully this will change in upcoming updates.

Sounds: The Sounds in this game are HORRIBLE. No music and the sounds can be compared to Pac-Man... All you hear are beeps, very undetailed gun and explosion sounds, and annoying replys when you click on a unit. The Sounds are so bad, I have to disconnect my headphones to enjoy the game. Luckily, you can customize the sound settings in the settings tab.

Graphics:
    The graphics are decent for a strategy game, but they could be better. The viewing/camera options suck and I wish you could rotate the camera. Throughout the missions, you will encounter different terrains filled with rocks, mountains, grass, desolate areas, and much more. Overall, the graphics are smooth and fine for this type of game.

Controls:
    The controls in this game are great. I scroll around with ease and barely have any problems. I dont like how some of the buttons are very small and hard to select. Definetly one of the best aspects of this game though.

Replayability:This game is fun, but the AI is really bad. Sometimes, the AI just sits in there base and they dont do anything until I attack. The strategy in the game is somewhat repetitive. Although, you can download many custom missions. This will make this game have a okay replayability. But the AI definetly needs improvement.

Custom Maps:
    This is one of my favorite parts about this game. It makes the game never get old and this basically makes the game sell itself. The price may scare away some buyers, but with the forever updating possibilties of this game makes it a must buy. Some missions created by users are actually quite good and worth downloading

Pros:
    Fun Gameplay
    Decent Graphics
    Downloadable Maps
    Smooth Controls
    Interesting Story
    Easy to learn
    Replayability

CoNs:
    Horrible AI
    No Multiplayer (yet! see conclusion)
    Really bad sounds
    No music
    Repetitive Strategy
    Limited Settings Customization

Conclusion:
    Although this game has a few flaws,but it will last a long time. Upcoming updates were announced including a multiplayer mode which is already in beta. The price is a little unreasonable, but if you give this game a chance, you might change that opinion. I will definetly keep this game. I recommend it to anyone who likes Strategy type games. I give Warfare Incorporated 7.5 out of 10.

Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ah6-CvXk6Q&feature=player_embedded

Attached Files:

2. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Good content, but please change the font, it hurts a little to read it, also, screen shots would be a healthy addition.
  3. CoN317

CoN317 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Screenshots added. Sorry I posted this accidentally before i finished it.
  4. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Nice well written review - I agree with many of the points. You could do with trying to score the app as well - we'll be putting up the MR Team scoring system for public use very soon so you can make use of that - a very simple-to-use and fair system. The presentation of your reviews still needs some work and the multicolor text doesn't add anything so I'd get rid of it tbh.
  5. Education

Education Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I agree with Stu, it's a nice review but using a different color other than black for the main text isn't such a good idea. It makes it a little more hard to read. Also, centering the images is a good idea.
  6. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ...and double line spacing between paragraphs and images helps to make it a lot clearer too.
  7. zwillyc

zwillyc New Member

EA is releasing a C&C/Red Alert like game soon, so just wait for that
  8. CoN317

CoN317 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thank you for the suggestions Stu. I will definetly keep that in mind during my next review.

Regards,
    -CoN
  9. pavja2

pavja2 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    One, I agree this is a great app.
    And two, I am on the multiplayer beta and will ask the developers (*through in game chat* wink, wink) if I can release a "sneak peek" of multiplayer.
  10. elamre

elamre Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    yep, me is too in beta of it. its very close to completion

running last beta test right now. im sure u guys gunna love it.