[Review] Volume MC 1.0-1 (SBSettings toggle)

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Ezekeel, May 27, 2009.

1. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Those of you who have read my PocketTouch 3.02 review (see my sig), might remember that I am still searching for a convenient way to change music tracks without having to direct too much attention to my iPod, for example while biking. I tested PocketTouch thoroughly and came to the conclusion that, even though PocketTouch is certainly an inprovement compared to the built-in access mechanism, it has two serious drawbacks. First, since PocketTouch is controlled using swipes to the touchscreen, the iPod cannot be locked and the screen has to stay activated which effectively doubles the power consumption of the device, and second, since the touchscreen is quite sensitive, it happens frequently that you do something unwanted when grabbing the iPod.
    I argued that a modification to the volume buttons to let them change the music tracks (as suggested be several people before) would be superior to the touchscreen based control mechanism of PocketTouch since it would allow the device to be locked thus reducing the power consumption and it would be a better controllable access mechanism therefore reducing the probability to accidently change the tracks.

Yesterday I have spotted in Cydia a new SBSettings toggle named Volume MC (1.0-1) coded by ipodtouchmaster05 which, according to the description, when activated in SBSettings would allow me to use the volume buttons to change the music tracks. I installed the package, set up SBSettings to show the corresponding toggle, activated it and started some music. Then I locked the iPod and using the volume up/down buttons I actually was able to switch the music player to next track/previous track. Pressing first volume up and then down in rapid succession pauses the music play, pressing volume up again resumes the playback. If the MobileMusicPlayer app is not running yet, the volume up button starts the music player and playback begins at the first song in alphabetical order.
    To test the performance of Volume MC under real-life conditions I took my iPod out for a longer bike ride and the program indeed delivered what the first impression promised. I was able to change the music tracks simply by putting my hand into the pocket, grabbing the iPod, feeling for the right button and pressing it. No need to take the iPod out of my pockets for the entire trip. Furthermore, it happened not a single time that I unintentionally changed the music track. The only weak spot of Volume MC I could find, is that one has to practise the use of the pause function (volume up and down in rapid succession) a bit, since if you are to slow this will instead cause the music to skip to the next track and then directly back to the previous track - however as long as you do not have arthritis in your fingers this should be no problem.

Conclusively, one can say that Volume MC finally brings a convenient button control for the music player to our beloved iPod. If you are searching for a simple yet reliable way to switch music tracks without having to take the iPod out of your pockets Volume MC is THE choice for you. Compared to the competitor PocketTouch, Volume MC not only provides a better controllable access mechanism, but also the impact on the battery consumption can be expected to be almost negligible.

I would like to thank ipodtouchmaster05 for this great app which will certainly make a lot of people very happy iPod users and I could imagine well that quite a lot of new people will jailbreak their iPod just so they can benefit from this awesome tweak.
  2. busterke

busterke New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I am also thinking like that about the program.
    The only thing is, I can't get it to appear in the BSSettings screen.. (it appears in the submenu "toggles" but not on the main sbsetings screen :s
    Can you help me with that?
  3. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    If you use a theme then you probably have no custom icon for it and then it is shown as blank. It is there though; you can tap on the blank space to activate it.
  4. busterke

busterke New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I am not using a theme for SBSettinbgs.. And if i press the blank space, nothing happens..
    Any other ideas?
  5. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I checked it again and I was wrong. Switched of the custom theme and still no toggle showing and tapping the empty space also does not turn Volume MC off. So I guess the toggle is not implemented yet or buggy.
  6. busterke

busterke New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I hope there will be an update to fix it within the next days.
    Otherwise, it's a nice app, and a very nice review.
    Thx mate !
  7. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah, something is wrong with the package.
    TouchMaster should get it fixed in a bit.
  8. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

lol hax!

I told you it would be easy to make. I'm surprised it took him as long as it did, as he announced it well before you make your thread. Needless to say, I'm glad you're happy with it.*

Regardless, it's a worthless hack to those of use with iPhones, as our track control buttons are built into our headphones.

*That's a lie, I don't really care, as evident in your last thread.
  9. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    You sound like a bitter old man. I watched 'Gran Torino' a few days back and actually had to think of you. You simply have to love that crazy old coot.

Please Register or Log in to view images

One could say the same thing about PocketTouch and the iPhone. Besides, I heard there are actually some people out there, who do not use the crappy stock headphones but decent ones. Also, the last time I checked this site was ifans.com, not iphonefans.com.
  10. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Skylar, some people actually like listening to good quality Music, and not use the crappy stock earphones.

Most of the good/expensive headphones don't have any controls on them.

And most people here aren't as experienced at developing as you are, so it's not a surprise that it took him longer than it would have taken you.