[REVIEW] Topple 2

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by TheTechZone, Aug 16, 2009.

1. TheTechZone

TheTechZone New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

T
    O
    P
    P
    L
    E

Welcome to the 'Topple 2' review. Well, i just finished the game so i guess it's time to tell my review about it. By the way, the game is developed by ngmoco.

Gameplay
    Well, since this is a sequel to the first one,i think it has definitely made some improvements and i'm quite satisfied.There are six worlds in this game each having five levels. Don't expect the levels to be the same and very easy. Well, the first level was short and just way easy. But as i went on, i guess the levels definitely got harder indeed. Each level has a different starting block below. There's one supporting block that i really hated most. It was an odd one. It was, green and it looks like two different shaped triangles joined together. If you get any square blocks right at the beginning, it would be pretty difficult to suggest where to put them. Now speaking of blocks, there are many kinds of blocks you get. But the worst one is the one that looks like a triangle. Once i put that block on top and get the other, i have no idea how to put the new block on top of that triangular block. So what i do is just....throw it away.

Now, note that there are 5 different kinds of challenges. Here's the first one-

Normal Stacking

The original challenge of Topple. The only thing you'll need to do here is to stack the blocks high to a particular point or goal. At first i found it easy but then the further you get, you unlock new blocks right? So these new blocks can become less useful and goals will go higher and higher

Rescue!

One of my most hardest challenges. Here, you reach to the goal, but then you have to get the egg at the goal safely down by tapping the blocks to make it disappear. When i was at around World 6, which is the final one, Rescue's are very hard. Don't forget the egg cracks! 4 times and then 'Game Over'! So make sure you stack the blocks right.

Balancer

Hmmm.....this one is just hard at times. You put blocks one one side and another on the other one. You must make it balanced and try to reach the top. But make sure the blocks from both sides don't come intact with each other.

Power Tower

The most easiest challenge i may say. Here you get these electric blocks that light up. But the electric blocks are the ONLY ONES TO BE STACKED. The red block will be kept on those stands on the sides. When these electric blocks come intact with these stands and there's a red block on the stand, then the red block will light up.

Upside-down

The hardest one....here all challenges are the same but this time, you'll have to do this....upside-down! Now this is harder than the usual. I find this really hard and annoying but if you need a challenge, then i guess these kinds of challenges are for you.

I would say all of the challenges are fun, sometimes irritating but i don't care, it's great!

Graphics and Soundtrack

The game runs at a very smooth framerate but the game is not 3D. The only place where you can notice some 3D is at the beginning before the main menu comes. But since the framerate is good, i found the gameplay to be smooth and easy. As for the soundtrack however,there's not much of music to speak of. The main menu has a song and all levels have only one song so there's nothing much about the soundtrack. But i didn't find the music annoying. The music sounds ok.

Is it worth buying?

Well, i really had fun with game, especially it's challenges. It did keep me busy for about 1-2 hours. When the blocks kept falling, it made me want to play over and over again! If you want a basic-fun game that is cheap and challenging a bit, then i would say that this game is worth it. But don't forget, Topple 1 is free of charge, just in case

Price - $0.99
    Score - 8.5/10
    Developer - ngmoco
    Is it worth buying? - For a challenge or for fun , yes.

Attached Files:

2. Universal Denizen

Universal Denizen Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You are so prolific! Nice little review

------------------double post merged------------------
    BTW, congrats on the honorable mention. Keep up the good work!
  3. Ryuzaki

Ryuzaki Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Nice review.