Review [Review] The Sims 3

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by 48days, Jul 17, 2009.

1. 48days

48days Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    The Sims 3

Please Register or Log in to view images

Category: Games
    Released: May 29, 2009
    Seller: Electronic Arts
    © 2009 Electronic Arts Inc. All rights reserved.
    Version: 1.0.85
    63.7 MB

$9.99

Overview:

The Sims 3, is a port of the popular PC and console game of the same name by Electronic Arts. The game is essentially a full-featured re-enactment of real life. You can socialize, work your way up the career ladder and even furnish your home.

First Look:
    The Sims 3 is, essentially, a watered-down version of the PC version. However, to say it's simply a port would not be true, EA has brought the title to the iPod Touch and iPhone with it's usual finesse and great gameplay. The game also manages to take hold of many of the iPod Touch/iPhones features, especially in the three minigames.

Here are some scrnshts:

(via my iPod)

Gameplay:
    The gameplay on The Sims is fun, addictive and simple. The game has a great 'pick up and play' feel to it, you can literally get a hang of it within minutes. You navigate through the town, your house, other sim's homes and the park by tapping where you want to go, and, as a result going there.

The social aspect of the mobile version of The Sims 3 is amazing, to say the least, there are almost just as many options as the desktop versions. The minigames, namely fishing, are also extremely fun and can keep you occupied for hours. However the one downfall of the game is the lack of option to customize your person, home and wardrobe. When you first create your character, you have to choose their outfit and look carefully, because once you pick a set of clothes, you're stuck with it for life. Also the complete and utter lack of hairstyles is quite disappointing. However, this, along with a lack of furnishings for you home, and a non-existent build mode make up for pretty much all of the cons of The Sims 3. If you can look past these few downfalls, you'll be playing the game for months!

Here are some more scrnshts:

(via my iPod, once again)

Graphics and Audio:
    The graphics on The Sims 3, are about as good as it gets for a 3d game on the AppStore. Graphically, The Sims 3 raises the bar for mobile gaming on the iPod Touch and iPhone. As for the audio, the app's continuous repeating soundtrack does get old. Fortunately it does allow you to listen to music well playing, so no complaints here. The sound levels are also completely adjustable, which does come in handy.

Some more scrnshts:

(via my iPod)

Everything Else:
    The Sims 3 is a great, simple, fun game that serves as a great time waster. However the app does have quite a few stability issues, almost everyone who owns the app has had it crash from time to time, although the auto-save does seem to hold up most of the time, it can get annoying for sure. Also, you do see a lot of loading screens when playing the game, especially when you're frequently moving from location to location. Hopefully EA notices these problems and has them fixed, but for now, it's hard to deal with. Finally, with a price point of $9.99, The Sims 3 is rather pricey compared to EA's other titles. Chances are we'll see that price drop in the next couple months, but ten dollars definitely turns a lot of users away.

Ratings: (out of ten)

Gameplay: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ *7* - as with the rest of EA's work, the gameplay does not disappoint
    Graphics: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ *8* - the in-game graphics are great, but the menus and the icon look very sloppy
    Audio: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ *8* - very well put together
    Replay Value: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ *7* - finishing your characters life goals can come quick, but if you are a fan of The Sims series, you'll be playing for months
    Value for your Money: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ *5* - for the price, the game is just about where it should be
    Overall: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ *8* - The Sims 3 is a great game that lives up to the series​

Final Satement & Links:
    If you are a fan of The Sims series, I'd without a doubt recommend this app. Although if you don't like the desktop or console versions, be prepared for a simulated letdown.

Official Page (EA): The Sims 3 for iPhone and iPod Touch
    Official Page (EA Mobile): The Sims 3 for iPhone and iPod Touch

As always, thank you for reading
    and I hope you enjoyed the review.
    If you liked it feel free to add me as
    a friend or follow me on twitter:
    http://www.twitter.com/joshvani

Finally, check out my other, reviews:
    Frenzic, Twitterrific Premium, Camouflage

Attached Files:

2. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Very nice review. Short and sweet. I still prefer the PC version though

3. wyndwarrior

wyndwarrior Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Sims 3, crashes A Lot. Now I regret paying $10 for it, I'm pretty sure it works fine on the iPhone 3GS though.
  4. Universal Denizen

Universal Denizen Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ^ I agree- it crashed every time I played. Nice game though, barely played it after about a week of buying it.
  5. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Is it just me or is the title messed up =/

Great review, even if I dislike THE GAME.
  6. Universal Denizen

Universal Denizen Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    @48 days: Nice review there.
  7. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Because it says [WIP]?

I agree.
  8. Abcmsaj