[Review] The Sims 3

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Respect the X, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Respect the X

Respect the X New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

Name: The Sims 3
    Publisher: Electronic Arts http://www.eamobile.com/Web/ipod-game/IpodReskinView
    iTunes Download here: http://www.apple.com/itunes/affiliates/download/?itmsUrl=itms://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware%3Fid%3D317904170%26mt%3D8%26partnerId%3D30%26p
    Application Size: 63.7MB
    Age Rating: 12+ (think T for Teen for the ESRB)

Hello everybody. This is my first app review on iPTF, so excuse any mistakes that may occur.
    Anyways, I've decided to write a review for a game I am rather familiar with, having played the Sims 2. Well, now my computer isn't fast enough to run the Sims 3, so I decided to purchase this nice little app.
    Well, for 9.99 USD, it is certainly my most expensive app. But in my opinion, it was worth almost every penny. Overall, I must say that EA scored more hits than misses:

Create a Sim:
    Create-a-Sim was a very intuitive activity in this game. Although there are limits to the many styles that your Sim can adopt, this part of the game feels very natural and is actually quite entertaining.

As you can see, graphics are nice, and controls consist of arrows to choose styles. There is also a nice little randomizer option, if you'd like to get right to the game.
    Next, is the new persona feature. From Jack of All Trades to a Sleaze (Woohoo!), you can pick one of 6 personas that influence your Sim's wishes.

As you can see, Rob is looking good, and he's decided to be a Jack-of-All-Trades. Well, that will affect his wishes, as he will now want to master all the skills (cooking, fishing, repairing, gardening, more on those later).

And lastly, we have to pick the defining characteristics of your Sim. Love to make people laugh? Pick the "Good Sense of Humor" trait. Feeling humble? The "Modest" trait is for you. These traits will affect your Sim's social interactions with its neighbors.

Gameplay:
    Gameplay wise, there aren't too many complaints. There have been complaints that the seamless neighborhood in the PC/Mac version isn't in the iPhone version.

Well, factoring the processor speed of the iPod touch or iPhone, I'd have to say that a loading screen is a small price to play for its relative speed. Speaking of speed, WOW, the loading times were crazy fast! I would've never thought that such an app would load so quick. And the mixing of helpful advice at the bottom of the loading screen "Different seeds grow different produce", to the totally random: "Power low - Accessing backup gerbils" aren't to be passed over either.

You start off in a basic house, nothing special. As you earn more money, gain friends, and possibly start a romantic relationship, you'll be able to deck out your crib with some sweet objects, if not totally useful (bookcases don't increase skill levels

).

Your immediate job is to keep your Sim alive. For now, that means avoid getting killed by a lab monkey at work and keeping them well-fed. A happy Sim is a productive Sim; unhappy Sims will refuse to do anything other than tend to their needs.

Eventually, to further your Sim's happiness, you must fulfill their goals and wishes. These pop up every once in a while. Unlocked wishes will expire from time to time. Goals can be as trivial as "Try fishing", to as bizarre as "Watch three other Sims sleep".

Moving around isn't too bad, just tap around. To pan, simply move your finger around the screen. And to rotate your view, use to fingers are rotate them as you would turn a knob.
    As for social interactions, you have two choices: "Love 'em or hate 'em". Will you use their shower, slap them, kick over their trash cans, or will you have a woohoo with them (Basically making love with another sim). Sleep with your boss to get a promotion; If you're a sleaze, one of your goals is to sleep with multiple Sims.

Minigames:
    Being a devoted Sims fan, I was a little disappointed to hear that there were minigames. And although they were better than I expected, in my opinion they are kind of a drag when it comes to the actual gameplay. I mean, seriously, why would you have to waste time actually cooking your Sim's food if it's a life-simulator? If you like cheesy little minigames, you might as well get Cooking Mama...

Cooking:
    Cool down the pots, or you're gonna being eating ashes for dinner! Tap on glowing red pots and shake the iPod to cool them off. Continue until the timer is done. One complaint: even the grilled cheese comes out as pots of bubbling green and red liquid. Take-out anyone? To cook, one must go to the Quickmart to buy food (or grow their own), as well as head to the Corsican Bistro to purchase the recipe.

Another minigame is fishing. Simply tilt the iPod touch to move your line; shake when the fish bites (a green symbol will appear when it does). As Rofl101 helpfully added:
    Well, I'd prefer some job security, but in fact he is right. The VP of the town gets 300 simoleans a day, and as a fisherman you can earn maybe 3 times as much as that. Can we get some more promotions? Or will the fishermen live larger lives than the veep himself?

The other two minigames are repairing and gardening. Repairing is discarding of broken electronic pieces and replacing them in a set amount of time. Gardening is planting a seed and tending to it. Please note that fishing requires a fishing kit, repairing a repair kit, and gardening a watering can and fertilizer; all of those items are found in the Hobby Shop.

Jobs:
    The game skips the time in which you are at work. You won't be doing anything, your Sim just goes to work while you wait. There are 4 job sites: the Quickmart, Corsican Bistro, Labratory, and the Town Hall.
    To get promoted, simply ask your boss. Befriending them (or sleeping with them) is effective.

Graphics and Audio:
    Any graphically demanding app such as the Sims 3 lags a little. However, sometimes the lag time is a bit too much. Also, the songs are extremely annoying; if EA could include songs from the PC version, I'd love that. Another complaint is that it's rather taxing on battery life; however, I'll live with it.

Well, here's my overview:
    Graphics: 4/5 (lag)
    Audio: 2/5 (change it please!)
    Gameplay: 5/5 (Basically infinite replay value)

Overall: 3.7/5, a pretty solid game​

As always, your feedback is appreciated. Please take the time to give some constructive comments. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. iPod Touch™

iPod Touch™ Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    lol small pics?
  3. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Click the small pics to view the large ones btw.
  4. rofl.

rofl. Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Great review! Yeah, I hate the music in this version of Sims. Especially when you go to town, sounds almost like Pokemon. But, what I do like, is when you turn the radio on, you get complete songs from several generas.

Fishing, for me, is the best way to make money. I am lvl 5 (highest lvl) in fishing, and when I catch a fish, I sell it to the quick mart (just tap the negative key when you select an item to sell.) Each tuna gets me 100 simoleans, and I can hold 3 at a time. So that's 300 simoleans, and that's with one fish! On average, it takes me about 5-10 min to rack in about 400-700 sim. which is much better than what my sim makes in his political job.
  5. Respect the X

Respect the X New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah. Like Radish said, for now please click on the small pics to enlarge them.
    I'll work on fixing it

6. irish_rebel9988

irish_rebel9988 Banned

• Irrelevant/off-topic posts
    sims is crap
  7. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    rather than making a comment like that, comment on the review.

(or at least say why it's crap).

Anyway, you shoudl really update those small pics.
  8. rofl.

rofl. Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Try making a photobucket! I use it to host all my images, and you can edit your images as well.
  9. Respect the X

Respect the X New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok I made a photobucket

so now they're full size.
  10. chinook

chinook New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Wow, never knew i could actually sell the fish i caught. LOL! What's the highest paying job? It can't possibly be VP right? Only 300 a day. I've woohooed with everyone in my town