[REVIEW] TextFree Unlimited Review

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by PG2, Jun 7, 2009.

1. PG2

PG2 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    TextFree Unlimited

Please Register or Log in to view images

$5.99!

(NOTE: THIS APP IS ONLY USABLE IN THE USA)

Intro to TextFree

TextFree Unlimited, obvious by its name, allows you to send text messages to any other phone number (Not toll free - will go into depth later), as long as you have a Wi-Fi connection on your iPod Touch, or 3G connection on your iPhone. This is a really useful application if you are looking for a clean application to send / receive text messages. Personally, when at school anywhere with Wi-Fi, I prefer this application over using my cell phone.

Layout / Interface

Even though TextFree Unlimited is a very simple, straight-forward application, there are different ways to navigate away from the main page, which can get confusing. However, once you get the hang of it, you will be able to quickly and efficiently send / receive your text messages.

When you download TextFree Unlimited, you will already have one (1) text message in your inbox. No, you aren't as popular as you think; it is a welcoming message that is sent to everyone who has downloaded the application. The one I received has to deal with ChalkTalk, a new application released by the same company (Pinger, Inc.).

At the top, you will see a 'refresh' button, an 'options' button, and a 'compose' button.

The refresh button is used to refresh your inbox, more commonly known as Sending and Receiving. New texts will appear at the top of your interface (if there are any!)

The options button leads you to another interface, allowing you to do many things. The first option is for you to change the name that the texts are from (I put iPodTouchFans). Below that, there is an Off / On box for the option 'Notification'. Since this application does not by itself leave notifications when new texts are received, you can set up this application with your email to send you notification emails when you receive a text message. You are prompted, when selecting 'yes', to type your email address that you will be getting the notifications on, and verify an email sent by Pinger, Inc.

And all the way down, you will see an option (for iPhone / other cell phone owners) to set up your Textfree account with your phone number. You can set this up so the texts will be sent to your phone, not the iPod.

Finally, the compose button. Upon tapping it, you will be prompted to use a dial pad to type in the number of the phone you are texting to. This number has to be 10 digits. Remember to use area codes! You can also pick out previous numbers texted, which is a nice feature.

Once you have entered the number, a 'text box' will appear, along with your trusty keyboard, a back button, and a 'smilies' icon. You then will start typing your message to whomever you may be sending, and then add smilies if you wish. After you are done typing, you click the blue send button and after waiting for it to send, you will see a chat room format area, showing your texts, and texts from whoever you just sent one to. You can click back and will be sent back to the main interface. Not as hard as you thought? Good.

How does the application look?

If you didn't understand the question, it is asking something along the lines of 'How is the app on your eyes?'. To be honest, I find it a little bland. Even though there aren't large advertisements (none at all, actually!), everything is a dull white / gray, which doesn't look too fun in my opinion. But, I should be grateful, I would rather look at the white then ultra bright ads.

Reuse Value

Though simple, TextFree has and will always stay on my iPod. There is no reason to delete it, and you can always have a quick chat with friends / family with your iPod! Since this application is mostly simple, you can easily use it multiple times a day, which I really appreciate.

Time to rate this beast

Layout / Interface - 4/5. This application is easy to navigate, and is user-friendly without pesky advertisements.

How does the application look?
    - 3/5. Using colors would be nice, not just variations of black! If they came out with different 'skins' it would look much much better. At least it isn't in your face colors right now.

Reuse Value - 5/5. This application meets all criteria it needs to to be able to be reused, again and again. You will find this very useful if you want a good texting service!

Overall Evaluation

Having the application for quite a while, I have to give this application a 4/5. Whenever I need to text someone (lol), I am always sure that I can use my TextFree (while in a WiFi area!) to send texts fast and efficiently. I would personally spend another $6 if I had to again, since it is such a good application. Feel free to ask about anything you are unsure about!

EDIT:

TextFree Unlimited supports the following carriers:

• AT&T
    • Sprint
    • T-Mobile
    • Verizon Wireless
    • Alltel
    • Virgin Mobile
    • US Cellular
    • Cellular One/Dobson
    • Boost Mobile
    • Metro PCS
    • Unicel
    • SunCom Wireless
    • Cincinatti Bell
    • Cellular South
    • Tracfone
    • NTELOS
    • Cricket Wireless
    • Centennial Wireless
    • Midwest Wireless
    • Surewest
    • Alaska Digitel
    • Northcoast PCS
    • YC
    • ACS Wireless
    • Mobi PCS
    • Coral Wireless
    • Advantage Cellular
    • Appalachian Wireless

Attached Files:

2. Germany

Germany Banned

Very good review PG2! I like the detail, layout, image presentation, and overall explanations. I'm very impressed. Keep up this great work.
  3. PG2

PG2 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thank you, I tried very hard

4. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    great review. Keep 'em coming!
  5. PG2

PG2 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Just updated: the 'Available in iTunes' is now a direct link to the app!
  6. iPod Touch™

iPod Touch™ Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Great Review! I use this app everyday

7. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ooo. What area codes/providers does it cover? Canada? Rogers? Fido?
  8. PG2

PG2 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It supports the following carriers:

• AT&T
    • Sprint
    • T-Mobile
    • Verizon Wireless
    • Alltel
    • Virgin Mobile
    • US Cellular
    • Cellular One/Dobson
    • Boost Mobile
    • Metro PCS
    • Unicel
    • SunCom Wireless
    • Cincinatti Bell
    • Cellular South
    • Tracfone
    • NTELOS
    • Cricket Wireless
    • Centennial Wireless
    • Midwest Wireless
    • Surewest
    • Alaska Digitel
    • Northcoast PCS
    • YC
    • ACS Wireless
    • Mobi PCS
    • Coral Wireless
    • Advantage Cellular
    • Appalachian Wireless

PHEW!

It only covers the US though.

9. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Darniee. Very thorough review btw.
  10. PG2

PG2 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thank you. I enjoy reading your reviews as well! I really want to be on the MR Team!