[Review] TapDefence [Review] - Thehitman

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Ryan, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    TapDefense

Please Register or Log in to view images

What is it?: TapDenfence is a strategy game which involves stopping hordes of evil monsters from hell reaching the pearly gates of heaven.

What makes it so good?:
    Well, firstly it is free. For such a fun and impressive game i am astonished that it is being sold for free. Secondly, it is not just a quick 5 minutes of fun like many other free apps, i have probably played this game for about 5 hours in total and still find it fun.

Quick Game Guide:

Welcome menu: This is the screen you meet upon opening the game and is pretty self explanitary.

Pressing New Game takes you to a screen whereby you can chose the difficulty of your game (which changes the map to suit it). The maps differ in that the harder you chose the game to be the less corners there are within the path the monsters can take, which in turn decreases the time in which you have to kill them all.

Pressing Highscores takes you to your personal highscores within the game which tells you the name level and scores. You can also view the global highscores which you can try to get in to.

Options lets you control if the music and sounds are on or off, if the enemy health is shown and it also allows you to clear your personal high scores.

Choosing help brings up the help page which guides you through the different types of towers and types of enemys.

Controls: The game is controlled by using your fingers to select and position towers around the field in the designated squares set out. You can move the towers to whereever you want, providing it is inside one of the squares.

Gameplay: The gameplay in TapDefense is very good. It starts of at the right pace and it steadily builds up to a point where you need stratigic skill to beat it. You get 20 lives which when 1 monster gets to the gates of heaven, goes down by 1. So basicly when you let 20 monsters through the game is over.

At the start of the game you are given 75 gold and 3 types of towers to build. These are Arrows, Bombs and Water. Using your gold you can buy towers and place them around the field in order to kill the monsters which, when you press Play, start to walk around the path.

For each monster killed you recieve a small amount of gold which, at the end of the level, is added to the interest rate you have to give you more gold. The game is quite reliant on the fact that you need to have a high interest rate to make money in order to buy and upgrade your towers.

In order to succeed in TapDefense it is vital to upgrade the towers which you already have. This can be done for a price, usualy quite high, in order to increase its damage, speed, range and "slow down" power.

As i mentioned before in order to get lots of money you must increase your interest rate which can be done by using "Halos" which are gained from when you reach a level where a "Devil or Hell-Bat" is. You dont have to kill them but if you let them through it will lower your lives. These halos can be spent on new towers or raising your interest rate.

Storm: Storm towers a quite good in the fact that they take of a percentage of the monsters health, it is advised to use these at the start of the road when they have higher health so more is taken off. These are especialy good for when there are many high monsters on the field of play.

Ice: Ice towers are good in terms that they dramaticly slow down the monsters which makes them get more damage from other towers in the vicinity. These also deal quite a good amount of damage and when upgraded prove an important part of the game stopping the faster monsters.

Magic: Magic towers are like the bomb towers in my opinion, except much faster and far more powerful. They offer one of the best damages when fully upgraded and are nearly as fast as arrow towers.

Earthquake: The big one. Costs 400 gold and personaly i dont feel it is worth it. The earthquake tower is activated when you shake the device and it makes the playing field shake, damaging all the monsters on the field. However not noticably much, although this could just be me as i was on level 36 and the monsters had quite high health.

Overview: Personaly i feel that TapDefense is one, if not the best , of the free games out there in the AppStore. Its gameplay is simple yet challenging. The controls are easy to use. The story of the game is good and it kept [keeping] me entertained for hours. There is not much more i could ask from in this application except perhaps some more towers.

Price: Free , which seeing how good this game is, is very good.

My verdict: With 7 towers, 3 difficulties, 42 levels on each difficulty and the fact that you can exit at any time during the game and come back to play it from the same spot later on makes this a must have game for any strategic game lover. No game is ever the same and each move you make results in a different outcome within the game.

My rating: 5/5 - The best iPod game i have ever played and it never seems to get boring for me.

[Wow that was long

]

oops... guess who spelt defense wrong

2. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    BUT....

Can it compete with Fieldrunners? :|
  3. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    duno never played it

i haz no money i can only review free and LITE apps

4. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Active Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    No it can't, but it isn't bad (and it's FREE

so definetly try it!).
  5. rileyman

rileyman Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I hate this game... It is terrible.
  6. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    why do you hate it? dont just give your opinion without reasons to support it
  7. Virtualball

Virtualball Well-Known Member

I've realized why I love Fieldrunners so much, it has a dynamic playing field. YOU decide where the monsters go. Because of this, no one game is the same! Kind of makes this look boring...
  8. rileyman

rileyman Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    1. The gfx are cruddy, this may not bother some people, but it really bothers me.
    2. It doesnt compare to fieldrunners, fieldrunners is 1000x better, better gfx better gameplay
    3. This game is impossible, The farthest ive heard anyone gotten was level 33, my best is 29 >.<
  9. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    ^ fair enough points but when i do a review i look at the app itself and try not to compare it to other games. Because then it stops becoming a review about the app and becomes about how other games are much better

10. steincj

steincj Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Before version 1.2, TapDefense was very hard. I got to level 41 once . . .

Now with the new modes, you can actually win.

I noticed an unadvertised change in 1.2 . . . arrows now have a level 4. It drops the rate to .6 but damage is 250!