[Review] Super Monkey Ball

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by -LB-, Jul 13, 2008.

1. -LB-

-LB- New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    This overview will be about one of the many new games available on the iPhone/iPod Touch firmware 2.0, Super Monkey Ball.

Please Register or Log in to view images

This is the splash screen. You are presented with this just after you tap on the Super Monkey Ball icon. You'll be presented with various companies logo's after seeing this screen - they want you to know who they are!

You can select from the following options when on the above screen:
    • Main Game (Selected above).
    • Instant Play - Jump right in.
    • Practice.
    • Ranking.
    • Options.

Chose from a selection of characters:
    • AIAI.
    • MEEMEE.
    • BABY.
    • GONGON.

Select the first island if this is your first time playing the game.

I forgot to mention that whilst in the menu area, you have some nice playful/cheerful music playing in the background. Aww!

Then, choose your difficulty. If this is the first time playing, only EASY difficulty is available.

We're now loading into the game. The load literally only takes about 3 seconds, and then you can tap to begin playing.

The "camera" pans down to the starting point on the map selected on the games home screen.

As you can see, the graphics aren't anything amazing. They're pretty much like the Nintendo DS' graphics, to be honest. Pretty cool though for a music device (iPod Touch) -- something to impress your friends with!

Heading for gold! The portals are where you must aim to get too in order to continue your journey. You are them taken up into the skies when the level is complete!

The lives are shown in the top right underneith the picture of your character. The bottom right of the screen displays the amount of bannana's you have collected out of the possible amount for that particular level. The bottom left of the screen shows your current travelling speed. The top centre of the screen shows how much time is remaining for that particular level. You can tap the timer to pause the level at any time.

Overall, the game is good, but there is a major flaw control-wise It takes a LOT of getting use to and the slightest movement can cause you to go off-course, especially when you get to levels with no walls around the "walkways" you are rolling on.

The graphics are sturdy and DS-like, therefore earning a respectable 4/5.

Controls, as stated above aren't great therefore earning a 3/5.

Fun factor earns a easy 4.5/5.

Value for money 4/5.

Overall: 4/5.

I'm pretty pleased with this game, although not my all time favourite of the AppStore game collection. It's well worth getting.

Look out for more of my overviews/reviews and remember to comment!
  2. Tafich

Tafich Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks a lot for this review but it's just as I thought, the controllers are bad... =/
  3. AngelSynth

AngelSynth Banned

my cousin has this game, and as good as the visuals are, they do not make up for the crap-poor controls
  4. eternity

eternity New Member

really, once you use teh controls for a while, they are pretty good.. but no calibration like i would have expected... also a tip... when the intro to the level is playing, hold your finger on the screen and it goes by quicker
  5. Go Avalanche

Go Avalanche Banned

I hate the controls they ruins the game

6. Sarge

Sarge New Member

Maybe it would be better if when you for example tilt forward, the land in the game wouldn't tilt also. The ipod's tilted surface is enough for the monkey to roll. The land tilting is kinda unnecessary.
  7. malibusurfer93

malibusurfer93 Banned

i already did this but oh well. i think it deserves a 5/5
  8. evanmrules

evanmrules New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    actually to me, the controls arnt bad at all. i had them down the second i played, i was like wow, this isnt bad at all. maybe its just me but the controls seem alright to me.\

but they need to make a calibration option.
  9. airjordan

airjordan Banned

One thing tahts bad is you cant save
    you have to do it over each time
  10. fatbody980

fatbody980 New Member

Thank god I didn't give this up...I was just about to take this game off my phone when I decided Ill give it one more shot, mainly because I don't want to just waste ten bucks...I finally got the hang of these controls, unlocked hard mode, which is a lot better...and now this is one of the greatest games ever...so, everyone I would recommend just trying to get the hang of it, I guarantee you will not be disappointed...now, this is not to say that SEGA doesn't need to work on it, because it needs A LOT of work, but I found that it is not unplayable, as I had previously thought...