[REVIEW] Starmap

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by apolloshepard, Jul 16, 2008.

1. apolloshepard

apolloshepard New Member

Please Register or Log in to view images

What is Starmap?
    Well, in the words of the developer: "The ideal stargazing companion. Easily find constellations, planets or shooting stars zones. A complete hand planetarium for beginners and advanced astronomers."

Price: £6.99/$11.99 (I think that's how many dollars - Correct me if I'm wrong

)

Summary
    Starmap is an excellent app for any amateur astronomer. I bought this application 2 days ago and have found it incredibly useful as an aid to my telescope. Basically what it does is display and update the whereabouts of thousands of heavenly bodies. Provided you know which direction you are facing, (North, East, South or West) you can point the application in that direction, and find out all heavenly bodies visible to you (on a clear night). It has 120,000 visible stars, 200 main stars, 150 galaxies and nebulae, many constellations, including ones from other cultures and all the planets in our solar system.

Pros
    --It has a simple, unobtrusive GUI and a wealth of useful features, such as:
    --Lamp and Red Lamp (red one is so your dark adjustment isn't disturbed)
    --Twilight adjustment (match the brightness of the sky on the application to the sky where you live)
    --Information on moon phases, updates on meteor showers and their times and locations.
    --Shows what planets are currently visible and where to look in the sky where you are (at night).
    --Fully customisable display (For example: Show/Don't Show double stars, Colour Saturation +/-, Constellations on/off etc etc)
    --English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Dutch and Japanese constellation and planet names.
    --English or French full language support.
    --Too many features to list here

Cons
    --Browsing round the on screen sky is quite laggy due to the amount of stars and planets the app is displaying (and, as far as I can tell, is updating their positions on a constant basis).
    --Again, the "pinch-zoom" feature is also quite laggy, presumably for the same reasons. Just pinch slowly and gradually you can zoom in on objects.
    --The application does not currently have a great load of locations to choose from when selecting your current location (I live 42 miles West of london, yet had to select london as my location because my town does not appear on the list of locations).
    --Some minor grammar errors for the English language settings (I think Starmap was created by a French developer).

Rating
    Graphics: 4/5 - The GUI looks good and is unobtrusive, the night sky is represented quite stunningly in 2D, with real images of the Planets.
    Sound: 0/5 - No sound

Performance: 3/5 - Slightly laggy, room for improvement, but hey, it's only V1.0 ^_^
    Entertainment: 5/5 - Endless entertainment for those who own a telescope/enjoy watching the stars.

Overall: 4/5 - Perfect for anyone interested in Astronomy and wanting a quick, easy reference for finding stellar objects!

Here are some more images showcasing some of the features mentioned in the review:

Attached Files:

2. Gonzo89

Gonzo89 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Nice review

My dad does a bit of amateur astronomy, and I got this for him to use on the basis of the review. Thanks.
  3. ywc19

ywc19 New Member

great astronomy app

Thanks for the review! This is like carrying around the great Starry Night software in your pocket. And it really is so easy and intuitive to use. The lag doesn't bother me because whenever I look at the night sky, I'm not in a hurry and like to take my time finding out what I'm seeing.