[Review] Spotify

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by VViper, Sep 7, 2009.

1. VViper

VViper New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    4A7WN3369AY3

Please Register or Log in to view images

Developer: Spotify Ltd.
    Price: free - require premium subscription to Spotify
    Version Reviewed: 0.3.19 (revision 52867)

Spotify mobile now allows you to listen to your music anywhere, whenever you want, this is a very exciting time for the music streaming business, sites such as We7, Last.fm, Spotify and others are all venturing into unknown territory in the music world. This new app allows you to use Spotify in a new and exciting way.

Firstly I’d like to get round the whole premium fuss, yes you have to have a premium membership to use this app in the current state and as the app stands at the moment, and I stress at the moment, it should only be for premium users. That said it would be in Spotify’s interest to allow the app to work with limited abilities so free users, or even one off day pass users can test out and trial the app to see if they want to join the wonderful world of Spotify Premium,

_________________________________________​

Now that that’s all cleared up I shall review the app so those who cannot use the app or don’t want to take the leap can have a good look at it! I am going to take for granted that most people know and have used Spotify, if not I'll try to explain as I go.

Playlists Tab

First impressions, well I am met by a nice clean login screen, I am then greeted by the Playlist tab.

side note for non Spotifians – playlists are the main function of Spotify, much like any other playlists you can create your own and, in Spotify’s case, search for and add songs to it. Now the cool part is that each playlist has its own URL which can be shared with other Spotifians on sites such as Share My Playlist and Spotify Playlists etc, you get the idea.
    Anyway, my playlists from my computer automatically appear on the app in front of me, fantastic. I tap “The Best Rock of All Time by s!n” then tap London Calling by The Clash. The playlist plays not stop till the end, audio quality very good and clear, for those techy guys its:
    Quoted from getsatisfaction.com/spotify/topics/what_quality_does_spotify_mobile_for_iphone_3g_stream_in You can delete and move around the playlists with ease by pressing the edit button and dragging the playlist up and down.

Search Tab
    There are two other tabs, Search and More. Search is the second main function of Spotify, simply entering Queen in the artist sub tab brings up a list of artists by the name queen which can then each be explored further to discover albums and songs.

The search feature is more advanced than it first appears apart from the 3 sub tabs – Tracks, Albums, Artists – the search can be used more effectively. Example being, say I wanted to search a specific genre in a specific time period I would enter “genre:rock year:1960-1980”

These special search parameters can be used in all sorts of combinations – title: artist: genre: year:. Once you have found your song you can then add it to one of your playlists by simply taping the album artwork and pressing add to playlist. One thing I wish was in the mobile client was the popularity of each song or album in the search page, this may clutter the page but I prefer the Spotify desktop client search feature in that respect but I suppose there is more room.

More Tab

The more tab contains what you could call the “settings” of the app. At the top is the version number – self explanatory. Next is “Go online within” now this is to do with the Offline playlists, its basically how long you can be away from the internet before your offline playlists disappear, don’t worry the time is 30 days. “Force offline mode” toggle does exactly what it says, it tells Spotify to act as if there is no internet connection. This could be improved by being able to force offline mode over 3G etc. The next 3 things don’t need explaining.

The Player

Now onto the player, It has a slightly different format to that of the standard iPod app, the rich album artwork is there and appears instantly when streaming. The time bar is at the bottom, where the volume normally is. I don’t know whether this is a good thing or a bad thing but so far it doesn’t seem to be a problem, personally I would prefer the volume to be there but I suppose it just what you’re used to. To bring up the volume, simply tap the album artwork and there are the normal options you would suspect plus the Spotify search shortcuts at the top. A neat feature is changing song simply by swiping the album artwork to left or right, very handy when in the car.

Offline Playlists

• Offline playlists, well I briefly mentioned it earlier, these to me are a real sell for this app and for Spotify Premium, you simply go to the Playlist tab, hit the big Offline playlists button and tap the playlists you want to sync.
      For me this took awhile to sync some of my playlists, however other people are saying it’s really fast. Spotify are aware some syncing is slow and are currently trying to fix the issue, however it didn’t take that long to sync a playlist.​
    • Once synced a little green download icon sits next to the playlists, one of the downsides is that you have to sync the whole playlist or not at all, but you’re allowed unlimited playlists, as far as I have found, so its not that much of a biggy!
    • Now these songs are effectively ‘stored’ on your iPod/iPhone, indefinitely, as long as you connect to the internet every 30 days and are still paying for premium.
      This means no 3G streaming, not dodgy connections just unlimited music.​
    • However I have heard that you cannot sync over 3G, I cannot test this seeing as I have an iPod Touch but I’m not sure whether Apple will allow it, they did approve Spotify in the first place, or if its Spotify’s choice.
    • As far as I am aware the playlists can be pretty big, my largest is 500, I have yet to sync but so far it’s holding over 200 and letting my sync more!

Overall
    Overall great app and a great reason to upgrade to premium. Although, in my opinion it is missing a few features, which are mentioned on sites like getsatisfaction.com which Spotify watches closely and contributes to. A feature such as Queuing, which I think is a major part of Spotify, seems to be missing from the app. Also a home page, like the Spotify home page with the Top Lists and Feature page would be great, but hopefully these will come as Spotify experiment with their new product!

credits to Education, part of the official Member Reviewer team for the ratings graphics

Finally, this is my first review so any comments and criticisms are very welcome!

Attached Files:

2. TDG

TDG Active Member

Nice for your first review.

Tip: Space your images and your text apart so they don't look so scrunched up.
  3. VViper

VViper New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah they were, hmm, ahh I know I wrote it in word copied it onto the forum to format it then put it back in word to check the spelling and grammar I had changed and edited and it looks like the paragraphs have gone! Fixing it now.
  4. TDG

TDG Active Member

Pretty pretty. :3
  5. VViper

VViper New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thank you very much!

6. Octizzle

Octizzle Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I wish spotify was available in the USA
  7. reaper00004

reaper00004 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    you can get it for your computer with a proxy
  8. Octizzle

Octizzle Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    is it allowed to tell me how to do this?
  9. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Great review... wish I could get this... I'll have to stick to Last.fm...