[Review] Spirit

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Kagelou, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Kagelou

Kagelou New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Spirit

Please Register or Log in to view images

Take control of Spirit, in an intense retro inspired arcade experience, reinvented for iPhone and iPod Touch.
    Guide Spirit against many different enemy types, and distort space to force them into another dimension.
    Features a fluid, easy to play yet hard to master control system. Relative movement allows you to keep your finger out of the way of the action.
    Combine links and combos to build up huge scores. Fight your way through increasingly challenging waves, uniquely generated for each game.

Price: $1.99 (Limited time $0.99)
    Seller: Marco Mazzoli
    Compatible with Ipod Touch and iPhone. Requires iPhone OS 3.0 or later.

Spirit is a beautiful game that makes you want to keep playing over and over. It’s one of the best games I have bought, and I highly recommend it.

Presentation and Graphics

This game has beautiful graphics! The Spirit and enemies look like they are neon lights and are very colorful. The shapes and types of enemies somewhat resemble GeoDefense, and overall look very appealing. The game only includes one mode (a Campaign type game), which hopefully will be changed in an update.

Audio

In my opinion, I think the music for Spirit fits in perfectly with the gameplay. The mysterious space type music compliments the “outer space” setting of the game. The sound effects when you complete a level, die, come back to life, and eliminate enemies also fit in well with the “space” theme.

Gameplay and Controls

The controls for this game are very simple: drag your finger and guide the Spirit across the screen to enclose the enemies in a circle (you must also dodge the enemies). The Spirit will leave a temporary white trace behind it, and when you make a circle with the trace, a wormhole appears and “banishes” the enemies. There are also bonus points given if you enclose multiple enemies or link the kills. Each enemy is a different shape, and has a unique pattern of movement. The developer says that it will support OpenFeint in version 1.1, and hopefully the update will add other components to the game as well. The responsiveness for the dragging controls is very…well, responsive! At first, the controls were a bit too responsive for me, but you can easily go into the options and change the responsiveness (scale of 1-6, I have it set at 2).

Replay Value

I have played this game several times since I bought it, and still think it is a new and original game. There are only 2 downsides to this game:
    1. You need to start at Level 1 if you lose all your lives. (no Level selection)
    2. There is only one type of game play, which is Campaign mode.
    This game was just released, so I am hopeful for updates that include other creative game modes (even an Endless mode would be good) and a level selector.

Value for Money

I would say that this game is better than many other games that cost $1.99 or more. Spirit is $0.99 for a limited time only (because it was just released), so I would get it quickly before it goes back up to $1.99. Overall, I would say that it was worth $0.99, and I would pay $1.99 once more updates are done.

Presentation and Graphics: 4.5
    Audio: 4.0
    Gameplay and controls: 4.5
    Replay Value: 3.5 (higher if there are updates)
    Value for money: 4.0 (higher if there are updates)

Overall Rating: 4.0
    A very entertaining game for only $0.99. I am looking forward to (hopeful) future updates!

Home Page​

This is my first review, so any constructive criticism/advice/opinions are appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Very nice review, actually. Excellent layout, perfect length.

Great first review!

I'll also be checking out the app
  3. kyle hultgren

kyle hultgren Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It looks like EVE from Wall-E haha

4. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Aha! I knew it looked familiar!
  5. kyle hultgren

kyle hultgren Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    gotta love that movie
  6. Kagelou

Kagelou New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks! Really appreciate it!

lol I didn't notice that it looked like EVE! I should have mentioned that xD
  7. .Pandora.

.Pandora. Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Looks like Geometry Wars IMO
  8. Kagelou

Kagelou New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yea I also thought that after I re-read after posting and went by where I mentioned GeoDefense xD
    I love GeoWars~