[Review] Space Deadbeef

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Dr. Rambo, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Dr. Rambo

Dr. Rambo Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Space Deadbeef

Please Register or Log in to view images

(Once again, iTunes link in the image)

Space Deadbeef is a deceptive game. At first glance, it appears to be a typical, low class space shooter game stuck in the free section, but if you take some time to look at it, you'll see that it can be a great game.

Controls:
    The controls are both the unique factor and the downfall of the game. You control your ship by dragging your finger around the screen, moving your ship up and down. You ALSO target enemies with the same finger movement, so you can often be drawn into an unnecessary engagement because of targeting an enemy. (Author's Note: In my opinion, they should update this app to use the accelerometers to move the ship up and down, eliminating the control problem.)

Combat:
    You are only supplied with two weapons in Space Deadbeef, a missile launcher and a laser. You have a certain amount of ammo, indicated by the symbols in the corner, though this isn't a standard ammo system; it reloads quickly. Your laser can be used by 'targeting' yourself, and allowing it to charge. Your enemies also have one main type of attack, a laser typed blast that travels in a straight line.

Bosses:
    There is one type of boss in Space Deadbeef, a large, dragon-like machine that fires lasers in all directions. You can target each of the sections of it multiple times, and fire (almost) your entire arsenal of missiles at it at one time. (Author's Note: DON'T fire your laser typed attack at bosses, it will only heal them. Missiles are the only weapon effective against bosses.)

The boss 'ship'​

The Good and the Bad

Pros
    This game is completely free, first and foremost. It has fairly good gameplay, and good graphics for a free game. It is pretty easy for anyone to play, too.

Cons
    For a free game its not too bad, but there are some obvious problems. The controls, obviously. It is also VERY repetitive, you fight the same enemies who move in almost the same formations in every level. The bosses have slight changes every so often, but they are nothing noteworthy. Another thing is the fact that the developer has not put out any updates for quite awhile.

Ratings
    Price: It's free, so obviously a 10/10.

Graphics: The graphics of this game are surprisingly good. Not perfect, but good enough for an 8/10.

Controls: This is where the real flaws in the game lie. If they had been improved in an update, perhaps it would've gotten a better rating, but for now, it only gets a 5/10.

Replay Value: This game can get boring pretty fast. Its a nice game, but it needs more variation. 7/10.

Overall: For a free game, its actually very good. Perhaps if they gave an update with some improvements, it would get better than a 7.5.

Attached Files:

2. TDG

TDG Active Member

Nice review. Short and sweet. I got pretty bored with this fast because the levels are really repetitive.
  3. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    I got this when I first got my iPod. I still like it. Nice review!
  4. Vesper

Vesper Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    this is one of the only games that always stays on my iPhone. it's good in short sessions, not long runs. Nice review.
  5. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    I remember this game, pretty darn good. Boring after a while, but still.
  6. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  7. Pandawg

Pandawg Community Development

Ahh, I remember this game. I agree with everything in your review, especially the part about the bosses

8. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Free? Then I must grab it.. Looks a lot like R-type!

Nice little review - succinct and very readable!
  9. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Very repetitive game... Difficulty increases but it's essentially the same gameplay on every level
  10. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Nice little app... I loved it.