[REVIEW] Sonic the Hedgehog

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by SiN Altr Ego EL, Jun 2, 2009.

1. SiN Altr Ego EL

SiN Altr Ego EL New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    SONIC THE HEDGEHOG

Please Register or Log in to view images

What is Sonic the Hedgehog?
    Sonic the Hedgehog for the iPod Touch/iPhone is a mobile port of the Original Sega Genesis Classic. It brings the original console feel of Sonic right to your iPod Touch and iPhone.

Story
    You are Sonic the Hedgehog. You mission: Stop the evil Dr. Robotnik from stealing the Chaos Emeralds, capturing the animals and turning them into robots. Collect the rings to keep yourself alive, and save the Chaos Emeralds.

Layout
    The Layout of this game is very straight forward. It is a full screen side scrolling game. The controls are quite easy to use. You just have to be able to control how far u move your thumbs.

As you can see, the D-pad is in the lower left hand corner of the screen, and the A button is on the bottom right. There is a small start button at the top right hand corner of the screen that is somewhat difficult to find at first. The buttons don't get in the way of the game at all.

Graphics
    The graphics for this game are basically the same as they are on the Sega Genesis version of the game. It is very smooth, with no lag what so ever. If you are used to the original Sega Genesis version of this game, you'll feel right at home. There may be some issue with looking at everything on a smaller screen, but after the first level, you should be fine.

Game Play
    Game play here is as straight forward as it gets. Use the left and right buttons on the the D-pad to run, and A to Jump. Down on the D-pad is used to turn into a ball.

Now there isn't the charging up like the current Sonic games, where you hold down, and then hit A to rev up the ball spin. This can be annoying at times, especially when you have to break through a large wall. You have to run back, get a decent running start, and then hit down to turn into the ball. After a few tries you'll get the hang of it.

Sounds
    The Sound selection for this game is as good as always. It brings the original sounds and music from the Genesis right to your iPod. You can also listen to your own music if you want to, and all game noises go away. There is also volume control as well for the game, but considering that this game is from the 1990's when gaming music was at a... fairly primitive state compared to these days, you may want to turn down the volume just a little bit.

Replay Value
    Sonic the Hedgehog brings all the fun of the Original Sega Genesis version right to your iPod Touch and iPhone. If you are a fan of this game, then this will have a higher replay value. You can enjoy have fun with this game, but after a while it does get a little repetitive.

Misc.
    Just a few miscellaneous things to add. The game does have an auto save feature, which will engage when you return to the home screen. When you come back into the game, the game will give you an option to continue the current game, or start a new one. There is also a help button which give you instructions about certain aspects of the game, and controls. There is also the version number as well as credits for the game.

Overview
    Sonic the Hedgehog is a great little title for the average iPod Touch/iPhone gamer, as well as the hardcore Sonic fans out there. It delivers on the same level as the original Sega Genesis version and has a couple little add ons. Game play and graphics are the same as the original, and the sounds bring right back to the original as well.

Layout: 4/5 Nothing gets in the way of the actions
    Graphics: 4/5 Same as the original, does the Genesis justice
    GamePlay: 4/5 Smooth game, no lag, does the original proud.
    Sounds: 4.5/5 Original sounds, but the play your own music is nice too.
    Replay Value: 3/5 The game is fun, but you may get bored after a while.

Misc: 4/5 This version of the game add those few features to make it user friendly.

OVERALL:

This game is good, definitely one to pick up if you are a sonic fan, and it is a fun little distraction as well if you have a long wait or something.

Attached Files:

2. ~raF

~raF Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Mine crashes @ the third level.
    at the factory. Don't know what the ACT is called.

I've had a Sega when I was a kid [which i still am (14 y)]
    So i'd rly like to play this game, completely.... x

~raF
  3. SiN Altr Ego EL

SiN Altr Ego EL New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    yeah, thats weird man.. mine is fine... but yeah. my dad worked for sega back in the day. he was the music director over there. he did a lotta the music for the sonic games and stuff. but yeah.. that sucks man..