(Review) Six-String (Rock Band iPhone Killer?)

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Qwedgeonline, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Qwedgeonline

Qwedgeonline Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    So this is my first review! I have added my own little feature into my reviews, which I like to call, "Review In A Nutshell" for people who want to see a brief summary before they leave for work, get on the train, etc. Comments are nice, and encouraged!

SIX-STRING

Please Register or Log in to view images

When I first looked at this app scrolling through the 'Featured' category in the app store, I thought it to be just another one of those guitar simulators, not a music-rhythm game. And at 4.99 that doesn't sweeten the deal, either. So I tapped it and looked through the description.

Features:

6 Songs
    "20" Music Store Songs <(Lie)
    2 Modes
    3 Difficulty Levels
    "Exciting" Twist on MRGs
    Chord Changes
    Realistic Guitar Playing
    Plus+ Network

That's about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Review in a Nutshell:

Upon launching the app, I quickly started to regret buying it. Although the interface is nice, and the graphics are smooth, that doesn't compensate for the fact that the game only comes with 6 songs, and the controls are very frustrating. And who wants to pay .99 for one extra song when you can get a (better charted) pack of two on Rock Band.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Controls

To play notes, simply tap the green circles as they scroll over the virtual guitar's pickups. To strum "strum" notes, slide your finger in the direction of the arrow, and every so often, you will need to change chords by pressing the, "Chord Change" button. I for one hate these controls, because the game developers did a sucky job of making sure the game can actually detect your strums. On songs like, "Runnin' Down the Drain", there is a section where you must strum 2 strings repeatedly up and down multiple times. While I am positive I am strumming the right strings at the right time, the game thinks otherwise. You will often find yourself frustrated at the game when you are absolutely sure you strummed correctly. At least you can play in Portrait or Landscape mode.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Visuals

The graphics are very nice, and clean. It is super easy to see the notes and when to change chords in the song. The fact that there is support for "Portrait" and "Landscape" modes will also win over the hearts of Rock Band iPhone players. Although I am more of a fan of 3D graphics such as in Rock Band, I am willing to let it slide this time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gameplay

It is SOOO easy to tap the notes, but hard to strum (See "Controls)! And the songs are also very poorly charted and way too easy. But on some songs you will find that the game is the one who will actually win when you need to strum repeatedly. Speaking of songs, THERE AREN'T ANY! I should have put my iPod down and backed away when I read that there was only 6 songs already installed. And the reason I put (Lie) next to the 20 DLC songs is because there are not 20. The idiot developers counted the 6 that come with it as DLC because of the mere fact that they have updates for them to download. It is hard to find a playing position that will fit your style, even with Portrait and Landscape modes. But I am glad that I can finally see my percentage in-game so I can know if I have missed notes or not. The chord changes are also a very fun feature in this game. They add a challenge to these easy-to-play songs!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Out of Tens

Controls: 4/10
    They have LOADS of potential but lack good detection skills (lol)

Visuals: 9/10
    Awesome! But now that I think about it, neon green is annoying

Gameplay: 5/10
    Not enough songs, Music Store lies, and bad controls added to it make it hard to win!

Average: 6/10

If you like sucky-controlled-over-expensive-developers-lie-about-content apps that aren't worth their price, be my guest! Otherwise, go buy Rock Band and download some song packs!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Screenshots:

Menu

Setlist

Music Store

Gameplay

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please leave comments, because as stated, this is my first review!
  2. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    i play tap tap 2. more than 3 dots is too hard.
  3. Qwedgeonline

Qwedgeonline Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    I play Tap Tap 3. Would I be able to transfer my purchases to Tap Tap 2? I like it better.
  4. imranh101

imranh101 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    lol @ iPwn.... thats why i hate tap tap games
    so freakin easy, on extreme i always got 99 percents so i deleted
    then there was another game called beatrider or something, had 5 notes, 6 difficulties, you put in your own mp3s
    was extremely hard, fun though
  5. Dónde?

Dónde? New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Then you need to up your IQ Score sunshine.
  6. Magnum

Magnum New Member

Sorry for the bump, but seriously, IQ has nothing to do with comprehending the dots. Gtfo.

OP: Thanks, man. I was tempted on buying this because im a rockband junkie but your review made me keep away. I'm still on tap tap 2+3 for now. I'm going to try out beatrider soon. Hopefully it is worth it.