[Review] Sennheiser HD-428

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by daconcerror, Aug 9, 2010.

1. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    So i bought these headphones a few days ago and want to go into doing reviews for headphones and such so here is my second review (i reviewed some skullcandies ages ago on youtube):

Sennheiser HD-428 headphone review

Please Register or Log in to view images

What's included:

Inside the box is basicly just the headphones and a jack plug to attach to the regular 3.5mm audio connector that is already attached to the cable.

Warranty:

As with all of the Sennheiser products these headphones come with a 2 year warranty but to be fair it is highly unlikely that this will be needed with the sturdy build of these headphones.

Technical stuff:

* High-output neodymium magnets for a stereo sound with powerful bass
    * Closed circumaural design blocks out 80% of background noise for pure audio enjoyment
    * Rubber finish for long lasting strength, durability and extreme comfort
    * Single-sided cable for convenient handling
    *Frequency response (headphones) 18 - 22000 Hz
    *Impedance 32 Ω
    *Sound pressure level (SPL) 110 dB
    *THD, total harmonic distortion <0.1% (1kHz/100dB)
    *Ear coupling Circumaural
    *Transducer principle (Headphones) Dynamic, closed
    *Cable length 3 m single-sided OFC cable with 3.5 mm gold straight plug / 6.3 mm gold adaptor plug
    *Weight incl. cable 208 g

Audio Quality:

The reason you buy headphones is for their audio quality so i'll address this as my first section. I first listened to some rock music to test the range of the headphones and they create an incredibly clean sound, an almost perfect balance of bass, mid and treble. The only critism i have of these headphones when listening to rock is that you want the sound to almost engulf you and although these headphones have an amazing quality in reproducing the sound of the music they add very little warmth to it. The other thing i found is that on the case they say "enhanced bass" although i am yet to hear this. I next listened to some plan B to see how it handled a mix of rap and pop, which it handled ok, i found that on the rap sections it was really really nice sounding but once it came to the actual singing part i found i was pushing the volume up high to acheive the sound i wanted on the trebles, for some reason these headphones get really warm on the last 15% of the volume bar on the ipod touch. These headphones are absolutely amazing for replicating the sound of the music perfectly and for listening at home at higher volumes (which still arent that loud due to the noise cancelling) they are stunning to use. The only other thing i've found is that after listening to certain music there is a small hiss which can only be heard when the music is up loud but never the less it's still there.

Durability:

These headphones are built from a very sturdy plastic which doesnt feel very much like its going to snap even if it does bend. The whole design of the headphones is extremely strong, especially the ear cups which are a very heavy and sturdy design.

Comfort:

These headphones are by far the most comfortable ones ive ever worn. The circumaural design means that it doesnt feel uncomfortable on your ears and the headphone design means that they dont feel like they are squeezing your head. The fabric used on the head band is unlike the one that Sennheiser usually use in the way that it is incredibly comfortable and very very durable. The padding all around these headphones also means that on long listening periods you forget that they are even on your head.

Portability:

These headphones are HORRIBLE if you are going to be taking them out places, the strong bulky design means that they take up a large amount of room in a bag. They also dont fold down so basicly if you want to take them anywhere you have to keep them around your neck. The other thing is the really long cable, when out and about this cable becomes a nuisance as it gets knotted in your pocket.

Overall:

Audio: 9.5/10 it loses half a point for the lack of warmth in the music

Durability: 9/10 The headphones look and feel very strong but i havent wanted to test how far you can bend the head strap before it snaps

Comfort: 10/10 The most comfortable headphones ive ever used

Portability: 4/10 The most bulky and annoying to carry headphones ever

Average: 8.1 purely for the reason that the portability is so bad

These headphones market at £64.95 in the UK

***i apologize for the lack of images, my camera has no usb cable and my webcam doesnt work on windows 7. I will sort this out for next time***
  2. Numbah81

Numbah81 Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Stop posting an ad you will get banned
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    No advertising messages is allowed here
  3. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    seriously?

ive been here for almost 3 years, i know the rules, im not advertising, im writing a review...
  4. Numbah81

Numbah81 Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Make your review a little less ad like
  5. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Great review, doesn't look like an ad to me.
  6. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    rofl, how is this an ad? 1 link and about 2000 words of a review.

@jmwerkus thanks

and im gonna do a review of my Sennheiser CS-299's tomorrow.
  7. cruzitachi

cruzitachi New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I've try these very same Sennheiser Headphones today in school and they're just perfect!
    BTW Great Review.
  8. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    yeah i love them, although i know the lack of warmth will get to me soon enough and thanks

9. hacker2021

hacker2021 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Love this. Don't listen to those morons telling you this seems like an ad
  10. magic8ball88

magic8ball88 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I googled those headphones and it suggested CX-299? I'm not sure which one you meant, but I was just curious if the headphones you are reviewing tomorrow are earbuds or wrap arounds? I'm interested in some new earbuds so thats why I was curious.