[Review] Rolando 2 : Quest for the Golden Orchid

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by TheTechZone, Aug 19, 2009.

1. TheTechZone

TheTechZone New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

ROLANDO 2

Rolando is back with some new levels, features and enhancements. I've played the game for a while now and now it's time to give my review. The game is developed by ngmoco.

Right,now there's one thing i was pretty shocked at alot. It's price. $9.99?! That's just too much! This would be an outrage to some people but this game is not like any other game you may find on the iPod Touch/iPhone. But wait, what are the enhancements in this game from the first one? A major enhancement is it's new 3D graphics, which is very impressive i must say. It really looks smooth and there are alot of 3D objects around you. But the best part is that it runs at a very good thing. To be approx. must be uh.......30 FPS. But the problem is that if you have too much of apps, the game would crash at times. Delete some apps before playing this game. Some other enhancements are floating small Rolando's and sinking Large Rolando's in water, sometimes guiding the King to the exit (cause he's sleeping....bummer),using some weapon's to get through the level and also a cheating object called an 'Idol' which if you collect one, you can skip a level if it is too hard for you. Nice. But wait. What is the story? Well, the story involves a more detailed plot and a new cast of Rolandos in a new location on the island of Fontanis. The story begins with the Sages of the Kingdom of Rolando being afflicted by a curse, infecting them with the "Kilgorean Flu".The king orders explorer General Sir Richard Smythe to lead a team of Rolandos to Stormtop Mountain to retrieve the Golden Orchid—the only thing that can save the Sages from the curse and cure them from the flu.Smythe has different types of Rolandos to help him succeed in retrieving the Golden Orchid, such as those who can move large objects, dive underwater, and perform other unique navigational skills. The story sounds great but you do frequently hear similar story's like this in some movies, TV shows and others but this one is pretty good. I like the story. So let's begin with the gameplay. What i really love is that there's actually a mini-game right on the main menu itself.

Your Rolando's are in a ship and what you can do is control the waves for the Rolandos to maybe fall of or fall into the basement. Also you could flick them off, just like in the game 'Pocket God'. Ok, so you just start the game and then you start off in the Kingdom of Rolando which is an island and there you have to do a set of level's. Well...basically tutorials to learn how to play the game and also you can see the story. Where you arrive to the island and visit the king. But then finish the tutorials and then you will sail to Stormtop Mountain which is in another island.

Just look at that beautiful island............what am i saying?! Ok, so this is where your journey begins. There are a total of 46 levels which are divided into 6 chapters. Each chapter has a different environment such as first in the beach,jungle,underground,volcano and inside the mountain. I found the game easy at first but then later the game had some tough times such as triggering switches. But luckily.....i had the idols....but when playing the levels, i had an AWESOME TIME!!!!

Each levels has many up's and down's. First of all, you can use many kinds of Rolando's. There are ordinary ones, one can climb on walls, one can fly, some can sink in water and some can float, some are royal members and some come in big and small. Your goal is to reach the exit either in the time limit......or finish at anytime but you get less rewards. Ok, if you find it hard to get pas enemies, you may encounter some weapons. There are 2 kinds of bombs. One is just or normal bomb. You need to push it to the place where you want it. The other can go up walls. They can be used to blow up bricks that are blocking the way.Then there are crossbows. My favorite part is the VEHICLES! Well, there are 2. One is a cart and the other is very powerful. I believe it's a large wheel which roll fast and crush the opponents. By the way, if your Rolando touches the AI, game over, for the level atleast or at the last checkpoint. But the AI doesn't come after you that's the bad thing, but they do kill you in two hits.I just love the vehicles and weapons. They are just really fun and the gameplay is just great.

Now for the extras. Well, as you may know, there's a mini-game in the main menu but the good thing is that you are able to play your music in the game itself. There's also a fun way to listen to the game's music. There's a mod called the 'Music Shack' and then you, a Rolando DJ, can explore your shack in which there are many speakers, each having a song. When your done, just exit out of the shack. It's like a level which is excellent. This game is starting to become $9 worth. Also the great thing is it's soundtrack. It's amazing and fun to listen to. Th music has different kinds of genres. Jazz,African Beat,Hip-Hop all kinds of music. The game also has great graphics. Especially it's very smooth framerate. Around 30 FPS. Aaaahhh...there's just so much to talk about this game........................................not anymore.

Worth Buying?
    Well......the game kept me busy for a VERY LONG TIME. Around...1-2 hours cause the things you can do in it are just fun. But the final question is...is it worth it? Yes but if you are willing to spend $9.99 but i'd say, spend more for the better......................except for that I'm Rich app. ngmoco has definitely done a great job. By the way, did you know they are making a third one?

SCORE - 9.2/10
    Price - $9.99
    Developer - ngmoco
    Worth it? - Yes

Attached Files:

2. alexmaclean

alexmaclean New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    there are a lot of grammar mistakes, but otherwise a pretty good review.
  3. 48days

48days Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Let's hope it's as good as the other two. As long as this doesn't become just like the TTR games epidemic I think things are looking up.

As for the review on a technical basis, you absolutely should not center your body text, it's much harder to read and a strain on the eyes. I kind of like the smaller screenshots and your writing seems pretty solid. Although you should use some sections and subtitles to break up your text to make sure your reader doesn't get bored of reading big chunks of text. Finally, just watch your grammar and spelling and you'll be right on your way.
  4. TDG

TDG Active Member

Sigh, I can't find myself liking either of them. Not my type of game.
  5. 48days

48days Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Really!? Rolando is like right up there with TTR and Touchgrind, one of the AppStore greats lol.
  6. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    I actually never found it to be for me either.

TTR or Rolando actually.
  7. The7thWitness

The7thWitness New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah i didnt like rolando but rolando 2 was a little bit better but still wasnt for me