[REVIEW] Riddim Ribbon (BEP) by Tapulous

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by _JKK_, Feb 14, 2010.

1. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    /Intro/

Tapulous, makers of the popular Tap-Tap franchise, are at it again, proving their love of music-related games with Riddim Ribbon.

Please Register or Log in to view images

'Riddim Ribbon' is a beautifully designed game.

In Riddim Ribbon, you must twist your device to 'ride the rhythm,' dodging obstacles and gaining points along the way. Although there is a scoring system, the biggest feedback is that the music slows down, and starts to mess up, as you do. If you hit an obstacle, the music slows. If you keep on the track, it smooths out and speeds up.

In this version of Riddim Ribbon, the Black-Eyed Peas' music is prevalent. All of the included tracks are Black-Eyed Pea recordings. In fact, the official title of the game is Riddim Ribbon BEP, BEP meaning 'Black-Eyed Peas.'

/Review/

Gameplay's biggest drawback is the control scheme, although it should be an easy fix via update.

Visually, the game is stunning. Bright visualizations that match the song make Riddim Ribbon one of the best looking games to date. However, some slowdowns (and the occasional pause) make me wonder if this game is truly optimized yet, since my test device is the iPod touch G3. Other than those slowdowns, the game is one of the most polished that I've ever seen.

On the other hand, the control system is mediocre. I've found that you do get used to it, but even after two days of playing the game, I'm still not comfortable with the controls. To steer, I've found that you have to tilt the device to much. Likewise, don't expect to play this game unless you are laying down or sitting still. The upside is that this problem should be an easy fix for Tapulous to make, via update.

The beautiful graphics of 'Riddim Ribbon' do cause some slowdowns, even on top-of-the-line hardware.

The music library included with the game is small, with only three tracks, all from the Black-Eyed Peas.
    Tracks are:
    • Meet Me Halfway
    • I Gotta Feeling
    • Boom Boom Pow

Currently available for purchase is Tiesto's Escape Me, Louder Than Boom, and Benny Benassi's Satisfaction. Tapulous promises that more tracks will be available on their store soon, for $0.99 (U.S.) per track.

Despite having only three songs included, multiple tracks that you can choose, as well as three difficulty settings associated with each song, make Riddim Ribbon have a great replay value (I've been playing for 2 days and still am entertained).

Multiple difficulty levels and tracks give 'Riddim Ribbon' an unusually high replay value.

/Wrap-Up/

Value for Money: 3.5
    Replay Value: 4.5
    Controls: 3.5
    Visuals: 4.5
    Audio: 4.0

Overall Score: 4.0
    Based on iPod touch Fans Official Scoring System

/Final Thoughts/

Riddim Ribbon is an innovative title exclusive to the iPhone platform, and shows a marked improvement over the aging Tap-Tap Revenge franchise. However, some small control glitches and performance hiccups make it a less-than-stellar game. The $2.99 feels a little pricey for the game in its current form, though a small update to patch up the control scheme and further optimize performance would make that price feel just right.

/Info/

UPDATE: Tapulous released an update to Riddim Ribbon yesterday, which included an update to the controls, the remixes, and the performance of the game.

The controls of the game are improved, but not quite what they should be. You can configure the accelerometer sensitivity to your liking now, though this doesn't completely take care of the poor controls.

The remixes of the songs are now much more low-key; in other words, they just barely mess with the song, instead of the in-your-face (crap) the earlier version of the game took.

I haven't noticed any performance slowdowns since updating, either, so I'm guessing that any performance-related bugs are gone.

Those are the big changes to the game in this update (which is probably the only one I'll cover, since it's the first), and it isn't a big enough change to change the overall score of the app. I still rate Riddim Ribbon by Tapulous:

Attached Files:

2. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    wow. nice review. will get this.
  3. _JKK_

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Thanks, spur of the moment thing.

But yeah, it is a nice review.
  4. deadlyvirus

deadlyvirus New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    bought it just for Benny Benassi
  5. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAAAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No. Not only is Riddim Ribbon ugly, but the control scheme is horrendous. The fact that it only comes with songs by the Black Eyed Peas on an album with only a 60 (56 for users) on Metacritic is not a bright sign for the music in the game. I also dislike the music. The 'DJ' function is tacked on at best, with the lame effects put on the game limiting the actual mixing to trivial turns into badly transitioned remixes.
  6. _JKK_

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Really? I like the way it looks... I agree the controls are bad, to put it nicely, though you do get used to them.
  7. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Since Louie Mantia left Tapulous, their graphic design has consisted of blue-to-purple gradients with horrendous amounts of color dodge layers. Eew.

Nice detailed review, though.
  8. SoBe

SoBe Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i agree with the controls. if they could improve it, it would be a bit better, and with better colors, it would be awesome, plus more tracks.
  9. _JKK_

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    fair enough assessment; I like blue-to-purple gradients though

But I can see how it can get annoying (I don't play Tap-Tap games anymore (I only have the first one).

And thanks for the input, as well!

My thoughts exactly.
  10. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    the graphics are cool looking, but they look weird. The ball and the track are "blurry" and pixelated. They can be much better, even on an older device.