[Review] Resident Evil: Degeneration [Review] - rmc08

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by rmc08, Jun 2, 2009.

1. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Resident Evil: Degeneration​
    Click Title To Re-Direct to iTunes!
    Price: $6.99

Please Register or Log in to view images

Intro: Resident Evil has a huge series, which all started on the NES, to N64, all the way up to PS3/360 and now, the iPhone! This game is based off the animated movie, Resident Evil: Degeneration. But, is it really as good as the next-gen console versions, such as Resident Evil 4/5? Keep reading and find out!

Features: This game features very detailed 3D graphics, very close to looking like PSP. There are countless amounts of features from the other Resident Evil games, and this game contains many levels to keep you playing for a while. Don't forget new, and upgradeable weapons! It even has some neat accelerometer features for reloading and others! Read on for more detail!

Gameplay: When you first start up the game, you will be welcomed by the game publisher and developer logos, and then of course, the menu.

Menus

You have a variety of options in this menu. You can set:
    • Language
    • Invert X/Y axis
    • Joystick Sensitivity
    • Sound Effects Volume
    • Music Volume
    • Delete High Scores
    • Delete Saved Data
    You also have a nifty extras menu to display:
    • Mercenaries Mode (Unlocked after beaten)
    • High Score List
    • About
    So, the game is completely customizable!

Actual Gameplay

Graphics
    Now, onto the actual game. When you start up, it's not too colorful, but more of a dull-ish grey. As in Resident Evil 5, the surroundings are orange, blue, and basically multi-colored, due to the canyon-like environment. But, this game is based of the animated movie! So, they have to keep with the airport theme. Sadly, airports are grey!

Controls
    The controls are VERY easy compared to most shooters. Some shooters use tilt like Cube, which is no good... Some use an arrow-looking structure like Wolfenstein 3D, but it takes up so much room! But, this game perfected the movement. They used a virtual joystick! It is perfect since it overlaps when you move it around, and when in a neutral position it barely takes up any room on the screen! Here's the basic screen layout:

(Above the "Fire Mode" icon, a "Pickup Item" or "Open Door" icon will appear, depending which one you are near)

Gameplay Tips
    There are some gameplay tips/tricks for easier play. 2 that I know of that have really helped me during gameplay, and are pretty fun to do, are:

• Shake the iPod/iPhone when grabbed by zombie
    • Flick the iPod/iPhone to reload weapon
    • Flick down joystick quicly to make a 180 degree turn

The reloading is good when zombies are near, because a quick flick can save your life. It can also be a lot easier to shake your iPod/iPhone than to tap the button (and it's also a lot more fun)!

Aiming/Gunning
    Aiming with your weapon is a bit hard, since Leon is a bit shaky when playing. Also, the joystick is a bit sensitive if you are precisely aiming, but you can always lower sensitivity. You can also upgrade your weapon, but I'll get to there later on in the review. Anyway, all guns come equipped with a laser guide, making it very easy to aim for the head. But, even if you get a headshot, it takes a few shots to down the enemy.

Melee/Knifing
    Melee attacks with the knife can also be life savers. When you equip the knife, Leon slashes it just in case you're near a zombie. Although it's not powerful, it can save four life if you are unarmed or out of ammo.

Joystick/Controls (Continued)
    Back to the joystick! Simply put, it's like any other joystick such as on a PS3 controller, and it's very easy to maneuver. The joystick isn't jerky or anything, it's very smooth control. Leon, sadly, doesn't run too fast, but you can at least escape the zombies. Also remember: you can click down the joystick quickly to maneuver a 180 degree turn, like I stated above before. It's great if there's a mob of zombies and you have to escape quickly. (Check control layout for joystick picture)

Pickups
    Just like in previous Resident Evil games, you can pick up items. Some are dropped by enemies, and some are just lying around. The item type is indicated with the colored glowing ring. The colors indicate as follows:
    • Red - Ammo
    • Green - Herb
    • Blue - Money

This way, if you are full on ammo, you can ignore certain items that are lying around.

PDA/Comms. Unit
    This is a very useful tool during Resident Evil. It contains many different things to make the game easier for you. It has the following items:
    • Logs (retrieved from picking up)
    • Key Items (Items that you obtained which complete objective)
    • Items (such as gun, herb, etc.)
    • Options (access the main screen options menu)
    • Map (needed to locate objective points)
    The map, like all others, is scrollable and zoomable, and has a legend to show where your objective is, where the merchants are, and Locked/Unlocked door locations.

Effects
    The effects in this game are pretty well done. The fire is outstanding for an iPod/iPhone, but what suffers is the blood effects. Honestly, where is it? All other Resident Evil games have it. The blood effects are literally just sparks bouncing off their body, I was a bit disappointed... Here's a picture to show what it looks like:

2. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    [Review] Resident Evil: Degeneration [Review] - rmc08 (CONTINUED)

Merchant/Buy-Sell
    The merchant is one hell of a guy. He can sell you weapons, or give you money for your old items or weapons. You don't get much money for selling stuff, but if you really don't need it, it's a lot better than just discarding it. If you find a lot of ammo you can sell the amount you don't need and just save up for guns! He is basically just a rogue SWAT member who is selling weapons, according to the story line...

Interactive Cutscenes
    Once again, this is another feature that other Resident Evil games had. In the cutscenes, something or someone will try to kill you, and you simply tap the little icons. BUT, you have to be quick, or you can wave goodbye to Leon!

Saving/Loading
    You can save the game at any point, but you start off from the last checkpoint on load. But, hey! That makes it more challenging! Real-time save is a bit cheap, don't you think?

Sound
    The sound is very good quality, from the gunshots to the zombie sounds. But, it can sound a little staticy at some points, but it's still great sounding compared to other games. The music is eerie, whichs puts you straight into the mood of the game!

Rating:

Presentation: 9.0
    Graphics: 9.5
    Sound: 9.5
    Gameplay: 8.5
    Lasting Appeal: 9.0

Overall: 9.1

This game has some rough edges, but it doesn't take away from it's outstanding gameplay. It may not be the greatest Resident Evil game, but for the iPhone it can last you a pretty long while since the game will last you a bit. You are basically shooting up zombies, and searching for keys from locked doors, but it'll keep you at the edge of your seat! It's definitely worth the $6.99 that they charge! I say go for it, buy it, and try it out!

Click me to BUY NOW! (Re-directed to iTunes)​
  3. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Nice long review.

Very nice.
  4. matinsa2005

matinsa2005 Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i finished this game and i should say it was AWESOME!!!
  5. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Thanks

6. LewisMead

LewisMead New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Great review.
  7. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    TIP: images would look best centered

8. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Done.
  9. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    This is a very, very thorough review. I'm just popping by to let you know that I haven't skipped over this review... I'm going to read it tomorrow. It's looks very well layed out from what I can already tell - the centered screenshots, nice amount of text in between, proper capitalization and spacing, and good grammar!
  10. lulumagic2003

lulumagic2003 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Played it. I found it a good game. A little short, and I wish you could unlock a new weapon after maybe completing on hard mode or getting a A. Still yes I agree a good game, which I have played over again!