[Review] reQall jogs your memory in more ways than one

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by mhowson, Jul 13, 2008.

1. mhowson

mhowson New Member

App Store Category: Productivity
    Price: Free
    Developer: Q Tech, Inc.

reQall is advertised as the best way to remember what's important to you, and linked with your iPod touch and pre-existing mobile phone, it's amazing at doing just that. The first thing you notice on booting the software is the visually stunning interface. Similar to the 'Weather' widget, the interface is divided into distinct 'sections'. I've not explored the 'People' section (allowing you to assign tasks to friends), so we'll just look at the other two.

Viewing Content

Here is the 'To-Do' section:

Please Register or Log in to view images

And here it is again with a 'To-Do' present:

Completed 'To-Do's' can be ticked off, and are removed from the list the next time the application syncs. The to-do's are split into three distinct categories, 'Today', 'Soon' and 'Overdue'. When you don't give a To-Do a specific date, it stays in 'Today', but To-Do's with due dates flick between 'Soon', then to 'Today', then to 'Overdue'. Sadly, there are no counters for the categories in this release, but I contacted the developer via Twitter, and counters are on the feature list for v1.1

Below is a 'Soon' view:

If you don't like the standard view, a secondary view is also available by hitting the icon at the bottom right of the screen that looks like a list. This is the view that appears:

And tapping a to-do from either view brings up a details screen, like this:

There is no way to edit the text of the To-Do's in this release, but I am informed that it's a feature on the list for v1.1.

reQall occasionally jogs your memory about events. This would be an ideal candidate for push data come September. It can also jog your memory via a text message to your mobile phone every now and again. Below is an example of a memory jog.

As well as To-Do's, notes are available. The interface is near identical:

Notice on the details page that not all of the note is displayed. This will be fixed in version 1.1

Adding Content

Adding Content is very easy. It can be done in one of two ways. The first way is through the application itself, using the add screen below:

As you would expect, the top box is for the content, then a person responsible is chosen, and a category.

The second way is to call a phone number, which is given to you upon registration. If you call from a number you provided (or any of the five numbers you can add to your account at http://www.reqall.com), the system knows who you are right away. Then, you just say 'Add', and a beep sounds. You can then say something like:

• Note. The renewal quote is £126.65
    • Get five different quotes by the 27th
    • Buy Super Monkey Ball

Saying one at a time, waiting for the system to say 'Got It!', then saying 'Add' and saying the next. The first would end up in notes, the second as a To-Do and the third on your 'Shopping' section. The notes are transcribed by humans for accuracy, and the service remains entirely free at present.

Conclusion

reQall is a more than competent life management application, with excellent syncing to web and phone. The human transcription service is great for life on the go, and the few bugs should be ironed out in the near future. A great download.

4.5/5
  2. Freefall

Freefall New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Great review!
    I am now going to purchase this application thanks solely to this review!
    Thanks again!
  3. hy565

hy565 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    I got this app and registered for an account @ www.reqall.com

The site works for me, but I could never get the ipod touch app to work.

It keeps syncing and everytiem it ends up saying "Never Updated" at the top.

Anyone facing the same problem?
  4. fyvel

fyvel Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    downloading..... thanks
  5. Tatsu

Tatsu New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Nice review, while the app look very well made and the sync feature is awesome I have trouble finding something to use this for haha apparently i have no life to remember