Review: RebelTouch by SwitchEasy

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by NickPod, Jan 10, 2009.

1. NickPod

NickPod Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Well I got the RebelTouch case that I ordered for just $20 on eBay (awesome deal. PM me if you want the link to the seller; he has just under 100 units left).
    It came brand-new, in-package as if I had ordered it from SwitchEasy.

There are a ton of reviews out there, so I don't find it necessary to make mine extensive. I just know that my review will be beneficial to somebody because when I was contemplating purchasing this case, the more reviews and threads regarding this case I saw, the more likely I was going to buy it.

First impressions:
    I was immediately pleased when I first got the case into my hands. It appeared to be a genuinely good, sturdy product.

The first part of the case -- the inner-shell -- is made of ADSP (Adaptive Dynamic Soft Polymer) and it is quite nice. It seems that it will not scratch the back of the iPod at all, and that it will do it's job to protect it.

The exo-skeleton is thick-enough plastic to do its job as well.

Installing the Case:
    Installing the inner-shell was easy and fast. It is a perfect fit; it's not loose and it's not extremely tight to the point where it's impossible to move or get on correctly.

Installing the exo-skeleton required just a bit of force, but not much. It went on quickly as well.
    Fortunately, I did not have the issue that many have had: the sleep/hold button. Mine is just fine and the case is not causing any problems.

Other:
    The case does not bulk up my device. It is still very slim and easy to hold; IMO, it's easier to hold than without the case.

The case comes with a dock, so I can even dock my iPod onto my iHome with the case still on (which is one of the things I originally wasn't sure if I would be able to do).

Very few down-sides:
    The first layer seems to be easily scratched when putting the plastic exo-skeleton on over it. Be careful when taking the exo-skeleton on and off, and don't do it too often.

Although I am not having the issue with the tightness of the case to the point where it presses my sleep button without my intention, the soft-shell is covering the button, making it a bit hard to press. I'm used to only having to press lightly, so I will just have to get used to pressing with some additional pressure.

Both the inner-shell and exo-skeleton seem to scratch easy on the outside. The scratches are barely visible, unless you're sliding your device across concrete. But it's doing its job: taking the wear-and-tear while protecting the iPod.

The included screen protectors suck. That's something for each individual to decide for themselves, but I don't like them. My next step is to order a BSE.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Overall
    This case is very promising. It was quick and easy to install. It is not loose, but not super-tight; I can take the case off easily if I need to.

The case looks great, feels great, and protects great.

This is the first case I've purchased for my iPod touch, and it most likely will be my last.

See 10 close-up images of this case on my iPod.
    The ten images showcase views of the following areas:
    • the back
    • the bottom
    • the front
    • 2 views of the 'lip' that the case adds
    • side
    • front while on the stand
    • back while on the stand
    • top/lock button
    • volume buttons
  2. TheConqueror

TheConqueror New Member

Wait a minute, I never really thought of this but it just came to me right now.

If the iPod Touch 2G has that built in speaker, and has no speaker holes but rather it just sort of leaks through the back, wont any case that goes on the back make the speaker sound muffled (even more than it is already, and the speaker is pretty crappy so even more muffled it must be terrible)
  3. NickPod

NickPod Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    The majority of the sound comes from the charger/docking port, which is not covered unless you use the connector protector which comes with the RebelTouch.
    I honestly don't notice any apparent difference in the sound now that I have this case on.
  4. Tylertut

Tylertut New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thank you for this review
    i am getting this case for sure now
  5. mieraisamazing

mieraisamazing Banned

hey nick! great review! im thinking of getting one of these now just cause of how amazing they look! but i was wondering could u post some pics of urs?? just curious
  6. dingbat

dingbat New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Just this minute put one on mine. It can be a pain to fit .i say that as i have one corner that doesn't look right it's kind of stretched.(not that noticable).Also needed to fiddle around to get it to not stick the on/off switch . but i am very please with the result.
  7. -Kerrigan-

-Kerrigan- New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Is the case really fragile? Like I mean does it feel like it can break easily when you put it on? I've heard some people's RebelTouches breaking and having to get an extra from SwitchEasy. And I bought mine from Amazon, so I don't know if I can get a free new case if I break the case.
  8. NickPod

NickPod Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Pictures: http://eagleconnections.net/go/ipod/touch_case/

If any part is breakable, it would be the exo-skeleton. It could break, but not under normal usage. Mine did not seem like it was anywhere near breaking when I applied it. The people you are referring to must have tried to put it on like madmen.

I bought mine from eBay, so if I ever need a replacement, I'm sure I will be out of luck.

I wonder what SwitchEasy's procedures are for replacements. Perhaps somebody who has exchanged their product with them can fill us in.
  9. parklaneyido

parklaneyido New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Nice review. You've got the same case as I have ordered. Looks pretty sweet
  10. mieraisamazing

mieraisamazing Banned

AWESOME! great pics and it really looks like it adds no bulk at all and looks very nice... great stuff! its a must have i think!