[Review] Real Racing

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by InfiniteVolume, Aug 5, 2009.

1. InfiniteVolume

InfiniteVolume New Member

Device:
    iPad

Please Register or Log in to view images

Immerse yourself...

Name: Real Racing
    Developer: Firemint
    Price: $9.99 / £5.99
    Size: 69.1 MB
    Rating: 4+
    Version: 1.10

Real Racing. A flawless combination of unparalleled AI, vibrant visuals, and lively community features. Priced at a premium $9.99, this game is the real deal. Real Racing far exceeds many of the titles on the PSP and DS that cost twice the money! This game is one of the few exceptional games, the ones that truly make the iPhone a portable gaming console. The tires screeching against the asphalt, the engine roaring over the enthusiastic crowd, the AI gnawing at your rear bumper; Real Racing is the top-notch pick for a sim-racing game, or any racing game itself.

Real Racings's four classes - Hatch, Sedan, Muscle, and Exotic.

GAMEPLAY
    The gameplay is fantastic. The AI is extremely aggressive: pulling up along side you, more than willing to trade paint. The racing screen is great, the HUD pushed off the side so that it won't take away from the epic racing action. The frame rate is quite impressive with the amazing graphical inclination; the game is deftly optimized for the iPhone, making this one of the most acclaimed titles in the App Store. You won't be disappointed with any of the gameplay: it's just insane how much content and things to do there is. With intuitive controls and engaging gameplay, Real Racing is beyond doubt the best racing game there is.

Engaging gameplay.

The amount of content in Real Racing is so great, the task of completing the game is daunting; however, the amazing feel and gameplay forces you to tap that "Real Racing" icon. With 48 cars in 4 classes, 12 unique tracks, 5 game modes, 3 divisions to play through, and a massive career mode with 76 events, this game has extreme replayability (if you manage to play through it the first time

). And once you finally beat Real Racing, with every drop of triumph in you, you're still not done, bub. Real Racing is connected with CloudCell, which means there are leagues; and busy ones too. And after you're ranked number one in the leagues, get to those time trials. And only after you're ranked number one in every time trial, meaning 12 tracks x 4 classes= 48 races, then, only then, you can get up from your iPhone, stand up, with every ounce of triumph within you. Then you look back, and your Time Trial at Notting Forest has been beaten by one millisecond. Get racing, nao!

Leagues are extremely competitive.

V
    ISUALS AND AUDIO
    Let me just say right of the bat that the visuals are PHENOMENAL. Amazingly detailed cars, stunning scenery on the tracks, and crisp, clean menus. The cars have a very slick design to them; you won't see familiar ones, as none of them are licensed, but they look very, very nice overall. The scenery isn't your regular 2D tree here and there; it's actually very polished. The audio gets annoying, but the way it's presented is very well done. It features 3D sound, and the indie bands it features aren't bad. You can listen to your own music, so it's not too bad. But don't let the audio dismay you, again, this game is amazing.

Click to watch a trailer.​

FINAL THOUGHTS
    Probably the best $9.99 I have ever spent: amazing detail, aggressive AI, phenomenal depth, lengthy, engaging career, great community, and competitive leaderboards.

You will NEVER run out of things to do on this game. You'll ALWAYS come back for more. Firemint actively makes Cloudcell leagues, making everything even better. Worth every penny. If you love racing games, there is absolutely no reason to not pick this up. No other racer combines intuitive controls, phenomenal gameplay, sophisticated depth, amazing graphics, and a solid community.

"Remarkable, unparalleled, and extraordinary."

RATINGS

Gameplay/Controls: 10/10 Has lots of depth, engaging, great tilt control, and exceptionally fun.

Presentation/Graphics: 10/10 Nobody has ever seen graphics this polished for the iPhone. Astounding.

Audio: 7/10 Good but not great, the audio isn't the main focus and doesn't take away at all from the extreme realism implemented within this game.

Value for the Money: 8/10 A bit on the pricier side of things at $9.99, but still quite an amazing game; it rivals those on the PSP and DS.

Overall: 9.8/10 One of the best games I have ever played; it has everything. From the graphics to the gameplay to the community, this game is a necessity for anyone who owns an iPhone or iPod touch. "Sensational."​

Attached Files:

2. EpicLulz

EpicLulz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Great review! I think I'm going to get this game.

3. LssThanThree

LssThanThree Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I think you just convinced me to go buy this game
    Thanks

4. Germany

Germany Banned

I've had this game since the day it came out, and I'm still in awe at how good it is. It's by far the best car game in the App Store. Nice review by the way, and congrats on getting it on the blog (front page).

I suggest you center the screenshots and the captions to make the review look even better.
  5. InfiniteVolume

Device:
    iPad
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!

And Germany, I did what you suggested, and my review looks much better. Extra thanks to you.

6. jbarnes

jbarnes New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I would buy this game...but I dont want to spend 10 bucks for a game. If it goes on sale, i'll think about it.
  7. InfiniteVolume

Device:
    iPad
    I think it's a bit doubtful that this will go on sale. It's probably one of the best games on the App Store, and probably took an enormous amount of effort to develop.

I'm not saying they won't put it on sale, just that, everything considered, they'd probably be better off leaving it at $9.99 just because it's such a good game. People are bound to buy it.
  8. EpicLulz

EpicLulz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Just bought this game. It's EPIC!
  9. TDG

TDG Active Member

Top notch review. Nice job.
  10. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Wow. Superbly written review. Well done! Layout is good but you could add some additional sparkle there. There's been some really positive constant noise on this game but as I'm not a racing game fan I still can't bring myself to stump up the $10... also I'm a little miffed that I have sent loads of emails to Firemint and haven't received a sniff of a reply. For some reason they think they're too big to talk to us...

Firemint, if you're reading this please get in touch to establish at least a line of contact so our reviewers can ask you questions about your apps!