[Review] Real Racing

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Edin., Jul 2, 2009.

1. Edin.

Edin. New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

Introduction
    Just when you thought that we've seen nearly every type of racing game -- from street racing to casual racing, no one has ever seen any simulation racing for the iPhone and iPod touch. Well not any more, because for the last six months, Firemint has been developing Real Racing, a game now out in the App Store, which is now -- literally the best racing game on the iDevices for only ten bucks.

Right off the bat

Real Racing is truly a great experience. It is really the best-looking racer on the App Store. There are two camera angles for racing, inside the c*ckpit the other, well...just your average racing camera (example, NFSU, Asphalt 4, etc). The graphics are clean and crisp, and you can really tell Firemint put a lot of work into this project.

Real Racing separates itself from other racing games because these AI racers is not your average racers that you get from Need For Speed Undercover or Asphalt 4 -- these guys will actually try and take you out the track if you happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. However, though the AI in Real Racing is aggressive for the most part, the AI will not team up on you -- they also take each other out if this makes you feel any better.

Career Mode and Online League

There are three vehicle classes: hatchback, sedan, and muscle. You start with the hatchback class with just two vehicles for starters. As you work your way up, you can take part in racing events and qualifiers, in which you can unlock more classes and more vehicles in each class, up to 36. Completing career mode will take you several hours which means great replay value.

But after completing career mode -- the fun doesn't stop. You can always compete against the several leagues that you can join and attempt to work your way through. The online leagues have timed seasons, different rules and requirements and many other things which can be exciting. One of the great features Firemint added is the ability to upload your race via YouTube with a simple tap. This is a great edition to a racing game and adds more replay value for sure.

Closing Comments

No other racing game for the iDevice (at the moment) gives you stunning visuals, smart AI, and excellent community features. The game handles very well -- better than any other iPhone racer out there. The tilt steering is fantastic. If you love racing games, this is your final racing game to purchase for the iPhone/iPod touch. You'll be hooked. For $9.99, it's all worth it.

Attached Files:

• RR.png
      RR.png
      File size:
      9.5 KB
      Views:
  2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Very nice review! I like the 'subtitles' in the screenshots

Great idea. Amazing graphics in this game - it closes the door on all other racing games for iDevices. I'm going to have to buy this sometime, but I'm having an App Store free month to try and save some money so I'll just have to enjoy looking at your screenshots for now

There was an article out teh other day where the dev kept adding more cars on the track to stress test the 3GS. He got to 40 cars with no lag or problems and gave up

The MR Team have been testing a scoring system and we plan to put it out for use by members very soon, so it should help with your reviews.

p.s. don't forget to attach a thumbnail to your reviews. I just added the icon for you.
  3. Edin.

Edin. New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Aha, forgot to add the thumbnail. Thanks for that, and I'm glad you liked the review.

4. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  5. BadKarma

BadKarma Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    I would've given the Graphics an 8.0 for being the third best rendered game.
  6. Nathan B

Nathan B Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    What are the first two?
  7. TheConqueror

TheConqueror New Member

Everyone seems to like this game, but I just find it OK. The graphics aren't that good either, but gameplay is better then NSFU
  8. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    probably Zen Bound. Everybody thinks that. (not me, but hey.)
  9. imranh101

imranh101 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    *cough* NFSU is better *cough*
  10. Fishman9809

Fishman9809 Active Member