[REVIEW] Pocket Frogs

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by ChrisL, Sep 13, 2010.

1. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Pocket Frogs by NimbleBit

click on the icon below to download

Please Register or Log in to view images

First off, I'd like to give a huge thanks to NimbleBit for a pre-release copy of Pocket Frogs! As you might have guessed, Pocket Frogs is currently not available in the App Store, but it will be available for FREE on Wednesday, September 15th!

If you do not know who NimbleBit are, they are the developers of Dizzypad (+HD), Omium, Scoops, Textopolis and many other titles which can be found in the App Store!

Overview

Before starting the review, I'd like to point out that this is a simulation type game. You are basically a frog breeder and you buy, collect and breed frogs to complete achievements and get awards. So if you're reading this, don't expect a game with a bunch of frogs killing each other

Presentation & Graphics

The menus of this game are really intuitive and simple. It's not confusing or cluttered. Click this to do this, click that to do that; the menus are extremely easy to navigate through. Now the graphics. Simply put, the graphics are stunning. If you've played Dizzypad or if you're just seen it, then you should already know how amazing the graphics look. But in addition to all the frogs, lily pads and dragonflies found in Dizzypad, there are many beautiful backgrounds and decorations that make everything look absolutely beautiful.

Audio

I'd just like to point out that there is no in-game music, but you can play your own music, of course. While playing, you can hear a series of sounds which you may here in a rainforest (ex. crickets, birds chirping etc). When you tap on a frog, you will hear a deep croak from your older frogs, and a more high pitched croak from your younger frogs. Overall, the sounds in this game are very realistic, but my only gripe about it is that the sounds are kind of low.

Gameplay & Controls

For the type of game that this is, there's no need for amazing controls. Like I said earlier in this review, the menus are very easy to navigate through, and that's all that is really needed. You can't really interact with the frogs. When you tap on the screen near a frog or a few frogs, they will scatter, which I find pretty cool. Also, when you double tap on the screen, it zooms in, so you can see your frogs up close. Sometimes I find it difficult to tap on a baby frog, so this zoom feature would help. Although there are not many things to say for this category, the few things that Pocket Frogs has is done well.

Replay Value

This is a love it or hate it game. Some people may prefer an action packed game, while others may really enjoy this game. Personally, I love this game and I find it really addicting. Whether it's addicting or not kind of depends on how you play the game. If you play the game just collecting frogs and doing whatever you want, then I can see it getting boring. But if you play the game to complete achievements and get awards, then it is really fun. When you tap on a frog, there will be an option to make your frog go to the pond. I guess you can consider this the game's secondary mode. This game doesn't have a large variety of game modes, but if you are aiming to complete all the achievements, then this game can take quite a bit of time.

Value for Money

Is this game worth it? It's free! It can't really get any better than that. Comparing this free game to other free games in the App Store, this game is definitely one of the best. Even if you aren't very interested in the game, just try it out since it's free.

Screenshots

Attached Files:

2. mappy4ever

mappy4ever Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
  3. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Well, the game is out! Just click on the icon in the first post to download!
  4. iDestiny

iDestiny Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I loved this game... UNTIL I HAD MY IPOD REPLACED AND LOST ALL MY SAVEDATA. I got up to lvl 6 -.-
    Arghhhh
  5. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Your data is stored on the Plus+ servers, so if you install the game on your replaced iPod and log into your Plus+ account, it should ask you if you want to restore from a backup.
  6. iDestiny

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Ooh really?
    I'll try this out YES
  7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Request for tribus

I would really enjoy a tribus from anyone who has one. Im happy to gift a veru or magus or any other frog. Spangdorf2. Thanks
  8. iDestiny

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Meh, I didn't get my lvl 6 save file back, but I found an old SSH high level backup on my PC. Thank god for the iOS jailbreak :3
  9. Iplaygood

Iplaygood Guest

Tribus

I need a tribus frog. My +plus Id is iplaygood. I have some legendary frogs to trade.
  10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Tribus

I really need a tribus frog. My plus id is staceybenefiel