[Review] PDO Flipp

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Joe Rossignol, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    PDO Flipp: Review

Please Register or Log in to view images

Today we'll be taking a look at PDO's Leather Flipp case for the 1st-generation iPod touch. I'd like to thank PDO, especially Syta, for your kind donation. It's appreciated, and makes these reviews possible!

On the packaging, PDO describes this case as premium leather, and that's no lie. PDO's Flipp case looks, smells and feels like premium leather. This case is a nicely-stitched flip top leather case, that's professional looking and protective all at once. And it's affordable at a discounted price of $19.99 (regular $29.99) on PDO's website.

This leather case covers the complete back of the iPod touch, as well as the complete front when you are not using the case. There is a front leather flap that flips, and has a small magnet inside of it. PDO displays their logo across the lower back side of this case, and the front is left alone. The non-removable belt clip on the back of the case, which is shown in the preview pictures of this case, was nowhere to be found. This might mean that there were a few slight revisions to this case, and a new modified model was released.

One great feature about flip top cases is that when you are not using your iPod touch the front of your iPod, including the screen, is completely protected. But a flaw that occurs in almost every leather flip top case for the iPod touch is that the corners of the iPod are left bare. The leather does not cover the rounded aluminum corners of the iPod and they can easily become scratched. If you were to apply a skin to your iPod such as BSE, which has also been reviewed by Abcmsaj, this would be preventable. But, that's extra money out of your pocket which most people don't want to spend.

Included along with this case is a screen protector, which covers the complete front of your iPod touch. Simple instructions are provided on how to apply this screen protector, and if you don't get it right the first time (or are dealing with air bubbles) you can always reapply it a few times. Try and get it correct the first time though, to prevent the adhesive from wearing off.

This case leaves openings for the dock connector and headphone jack, and they are fully accessible. This case is compatible with any sort of dock or charger, which leads me to assume that it would be compatible with most other accessories too.

On the inside of the front leather lid is a small compartment, which can be handy for carrying money, receipts, or notes along with you.

This case isn't obtrusive to the iPod's screen, but the flip top design can be a nuisance when watching videos on your iPod. But, this flip top is a great design and protects your iPod against scratches and dents. The leather is also professional looking, and protects your iPod. Overall, I give this case a rating of 8.5/10 for both design and protection.

[via Hack the iPod touch, written by Kiks52]
  2. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Nice tutorial. I wanted a flip leather case like that, but i got a Capsule touch. My screens already cracked, and scratched so i guess i don't need one anymore haha.
  3. Joe Rossignol

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    My screens fine, but the back of mine is scratched like crazy so I put a GelaSkin on it.

I'm getting a 2G iPod touch though soon. Maybe this weekend or early next week.
  4. jhloa2

jhloa2 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I got a sena case. I'm going to do a review as soon as I have time
  5. Totally 1337

Totally 1337 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    That thing looks monsterous!!

6. pooffck

pooffck Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I have this! its very nice!
  7. Joe Rossignol

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Does yours have the belt clip on the back because they show it in the preview pictures but mine didn't have one attached?