[Review] PDO CarFM FM Transmitter - Pics Included

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by rafarquhar, Dec 26, 2008.

1. rafarquhar

rafarquhar New Member

Foreward
    It is very important to note that I do not live in the city. I live in a suburb 15 miles away from a major city. It's very important to keep these things in mind when buying an FM transmitter, because cities are known to have more congested radio waves (and thus less success with FM transmitters).

Introduction
    Since I received my very first MP3 player as a gift (back in the day

Please Register or Log in to view images

) I have always used a simple tape adapter to connect it to the car stereo. Why not? They're cheap, and they sound just fine. If your car has a cassette player, you might not even want to read this review. That being said, I now drive a 2006 VW Jetta. While I love the car, I was sad at the loss of having a tape deck. I thought about buying a simple FM transmitter, but I became wary of sound quality problems. I delayed, until I found this great little device for a mere $30 at Amazon.

Initial Reaction
    I received the package in a relatively attractive bright orange box. Interestingly enough, this product did not include a manual. I still don't really know how to set the presets, but I usually never have to change the transmitting station.

Sound Quality
    I have been surprised with this product since the day I began using it. I expected terrible sound quality, as the tuner was only $30, and similiar $50-$70 tuners have the same problem, but I was very surprised. No static problems at all. I have also even noticed a couple times that one of the channels I was using wasn't even total static, yet my music played through. My only complaint is that the bass isn't as punchy as a CD is in my car stereo, but I suspect that this is due to the EQ on my iPod.

Pictures
    Wait, what? I forgot to mention my favorite thing about this FM tuner.
    I suppose that a picture is worth a thousand words:

Without iPod.

With iPod.
    (Please excuse the poorly lit photos - there isn't much sun today.)

Yes, that works exactly how it looks. It holds your iPod on a gooseneck cable (which is sturdy, for the most part) so that you can use the screen as if it was part of your radio. I love it.

Summary/Pros and cons
    Pros:
    Cheap
    Great sound
    Gooseneck!

Cons:
    Where's the manual?
    Gooseneck is a bit wobbly at times.

Final word? I would recommend this product. It's great, and it's not too expensive.
  2. Storm Surge

Storm Surge New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Do you live in a metro area where there are a lot of radio stations?
  3. rafarquhar

rafarquhar New Member

Oh dang.
    I have to thank you, because that's a very important detail.
    (The answer being, not really. I will update the first post with relative information.)
  4. joorowned

joorowned New Member

How do u actually change radio frequencies on that? Nice review

5. MegaMan

MegaMan New Member

fm transmitters tend to have bad quality
    also for the cost your better off replacing the receiver
  6. loaf-

loaf- New Member

I almost bought one of these last night, but I got the tape thing instead. Really theres something tragic in having a top of the line phone plugged into a tape deck, but I'd have it no other way.
  7. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Good review! All of PDO's products come in nice orange packaging.

I have a similar FM transmitter that looks almost identical but the sound quality isn't that great. There is some static but that's the price I have to pay for buying a FM transmitter for only $20. It wasn't even brand name so I kinda expected below average sound quality anyways.

I don't drive but I use this FM transmitter in a 2007 VW Passat Wagon.
  8. rafarquhar

rafarquhar New Member

There are two buttons on the top. I should have included this. My bad.

What? This was only $30, and it required no modification to the car. The audio quality isn't perfect, but it's great for an FM transmitter.

To be honest, the tape things work better. They are starting to make cars without tape things though. I do enjoy the increasingly common auxiliary inputs that are showing up on cars now though.
  9. ash09

ash09 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Nice review. Out of the 2 cars we have, only 1 has a tape deck, and of course the one I drive is the one that doesn't so I'm stuck using a Griffin iTrip.

Gooseneck is def a plus. Does this work with a case on? The only problem I have with the iTrip is that I have to remove the case from my iPod before I can use it.

10. Totally 1337

Totally 1337 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Psh. REAL MEN build their own FM transmitters.

Thats what I did!