[Review] PdaNet - Ryan

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Ryan, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Name: Ryan
    Application Entry: Cydia App Review

Ryan’s PdaNet Review

Please Register or Log in to view images

Ever been to a place where you desperately need an internet connection on your laptop? Ever lost your home internet dongle? Or have you ever simply just wanted to save money?

The PdaNet application from ‘June Fabrics Tech’ can offer an answer to all of these questions.

Introduction to PdaNet
    PdaNet allows your laptop, or desktop, to use the iPhone’s Wi-Fi or EDGE/3G connection to gain access to the internet. In short, it is mobile tethering. Due to Apples strict, and sometimes strange, AppStore acceptances the application was rejected from sale there. As a result of this the developers have made the application available from Cydia on the ‘Modmyi’ source. It offers a, rather generous, 14 day trial which can then be extended to the full version by paying $29 to the developer from within the application itself or by visiting http://my.iPhone while using the application on your computer. This is a one-time purchase with unlimited updates for 2G and 3G iPhones. There is a two week refund policy given from the developers.

Methods of Internet Tethering

The application gives the user a choice of either using the app as a Wi-Fi Router or a USB Router. I will explain a little bit about the two different choices.

Wi-Fi Router

Using this mode allows the user to connect their iPhone to the computers AD-HOC network (a kind of local network created by the computer). You then make the iPhone connect to this network and run the app. This gives the computer internet access wirelessly and without the need for the device to be near the computer. This will work either using the iPhones Data Plan through the carrier or, if connected to, a local Wi-Fi hotspot. This will also work on the iPod Touch but only if there is a Wi-Fi connection. Currently this mode is the only way a mac computer use this application as the software needed to run the USB mode has not been ported to OSX yet. However I believe that this is in the making.

The main advantage of this mode is that your device doesn’t have to be constantly plugged into the computer. Meaning that USB ports can be used for other devices and that it saves carrying around an iPhone USB cable with you, particularly helpful for people using laptops.
    However this is also this modes major disadvantage. Running this application uses lots of processing power, pushing through megabytes of information to your computer and therefore, without being plugged into a power supply it would drain the battery fairly quickly.

On the left, USB mode. On the right, Wi-Fi router mode.

USB mode

The USB mode of the application is, in my opinion, the best mode to use for Windows users. Although it means having to have the device plugged in the whole time it allows it to be used much longer as it is constantly being charged while in use. The USB mode requires a small program to be installed called PdaNet Desktop on the host computer in order to connect to the device. You can download it from http://junefabrics.com/desktop. The program works on all versions of windows, XP Vista and windows 7, and on both 32-bit and 64-bit. It is hidden in the task bar and all that is needed to be done to use it is to right click and press Connect. In the Settings option of the menu it is possible to auto-connect so that as soon as you plug in the device it connects to the internet. (If it is turned on in the application).

Data Analysis

Once the application is running and the internet is being tethered to your computer PdaNet shows a screen with data information showing the connection used, amount of data sent and received, DNS lookups, connections and battery life remaining. This information, especially the Data send and received, is helpful when tethering over EDGE or the 3G network as it shows clear real-time data on how much internet you have used.

Overview

I am rather fond of this application and since my parents took my internet dongle it has been a very.. ‘Handy’ application to use. However I do feel that it is severely overpriced for what it is. Especially since 3.x now supports tethering over USB natively and for free. The only few advantages that this application brings to the iPhone is that it can be used to tether a Wi-Fi connection, whereas the built in one can only tether the carrier’s connection. Also the fact that no set up is needed to tether and that it can be done wirelessly is a major selling point for this application. Another great thing about this application is that it runs in the background so even while you are tethering your connection you can open other apps and use those on your device. However I don’t feel that if I brought this application it would have been $30 (£20) well spent. Especially when I could have picked up a cheap internet dongle for less than that.

Overall I feel that the app itself is of very high quality and gets the job done well. When using the application it feels part of the OS and not a third party application. Its only drawback is its price which means that I give this application a final score of 4/5. The application itself is 5/5 but because of the price I would have to take it down to 4.

If the developers offered this app for something in the region of $9.99 then I think a lot more people would pay for it. But overall I was very impressed with it and it did everything I needed it to do.

2. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    EDITED, sorry.
  3. ipNinja

ipNinja New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    i prefer the inbuilt tethering, easy to enable on o2 without buying bolt-ons too!
  4. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    not if you're on PAYG like me with the web bolt on

5. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    But for people who have unlocked and dont have an unlimited data plan it is good