[Review] Pandora

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by chaos3232, Jun 1, 2009.

1. chaos3232

chaos3232 New Member

Let me say sorry now if you don't like reading a lot. I did a very in depth review of this app. If you want to skip all the small details, please skip to the last paragraph of this review.

Pandora Radio
    Pandora Media, Inc
    Released: Jul, 09, 2008
    seller: Pandora Media, Inc.
    Copyrighted by Pandora Media, Inc.
    Ver. 2.0
    Size: 0.5 mb

Pandora is probably one of my favorite apps I have for my itouch, which I use daily. Basically it’s a online radio and will play songs based off of music you like, other bands or specific songs. People may be familiar with Pandora for the computer (www.pandora.com) and this is just a miniature one. Using it on the computer and downloading it for your itouch/iphone is FREE!

In order to use it, it does require internet service which can be annoying at some points because I don’t have an iphone. Well it’s a very easy application to run and you can find some much unknown artists that are actually very good. Basically you can use preset stations like any other radio out there. Before you prejudge it, the sound from the station is amazing. I mean it’s clearer than the ocean sometimes. (No don’t try using your itouch in the ocean…..I get the feeling it wouldn’t play too well).

After making an account (used to track what music you like and dislike), you can pick a band or song. I’m a fan of CKY, so I put them into the radio and I’ll get songs by CKY every once in a while, H.I.M., Mudvayne, Cold and etc… You get roughly 6 skips an hour which isn’t too bad if you can find a station where you can get some good songs in a row. It works with songs as well. When you have a song playing you can click thumbs up or thumbs down. Click thumbs up will generate more songs by that artist or more songs similar to the current one playing, while thumbs down decreases the chances of getting that artist, song or similar songs. It has a record of everything and it’s a station that will play music that you like. If you do click thumbs down to a song, it will immediately skip to another song. Thumbing down a song or band does NOT use one of your six skips, but if you use too many thumb downs, it will start deducting them before you know it.

Recently with its new update, almost every song played will have album art which is pretty cool. I’ve found a few cases where it doesn’t have any, but it’s not very common. At the top it says artist, song and album as well. Along with its new list of updates, one that I’ve fallen in love with is if you double click the album. If the itouch is on its side, you can see all of the albums that were played and by whom. If you then double click it, a description of why the song was picked for you. It says for Follow by Breaking Benjamin: “Why this song is playing: We’re playing this track because it features hard rock rots, repetitive melodic phrasing, dirty electric guitar riffs and many other similarities identified in the music genome project” (Pandora). Yes….it is a bit “corney” like all of them are, but it’s sorta cool. Along with that, it will give you a brief bio about the band that is playing or played a song. It will be a summary of their career, band members who joined, left and a little bit of everything. Some have a bit longer summaries than others.

Another thing I like is the QuickMix station. You would think it would be random songs, but because it is a radio station based off of songs you like, it will compile all your stations together (you can have quite a few. I have 9 or so….) and also songs you gave a thumbs up too and makes one huge radio station which is really cool.

Overall I love this application. I always use it on my computer, but now I’ll just hook my itouch up to my speakers and listen to it while I do homework or playing a game. Pros: Great concept, really works and will play some good music, cool facts about bands, some creative music, and decent amount of skips. I love how I can just leave it running while I do work (or as I’m writing this review) and every once and a while I’ll say to myself “wow that band is pretty cool, I like this song, who is it?” I’m a music junkie and I still don’t know every band. If you do exit it out of it or turn off your itouch, it will save what song you were at and what part which is very good for clumsy people like me. Cons: When I put it in my speakers, it will want to play my music and not run the application and my remote doesn’t work with it which is well a pain. I don’t feel six skips is enough, but if you don’t think that’s enough you’re better off making a NEW station and getting your skips restocked. It is an application so you can’t exit out of it and continue to listen to it which can be annoying. Sometimes it will play the same songs continuously, but it will NEVER play an artist or song twice in a row which is nice. I would’ve loved the quick mix to have more than 6 skips because I listen to a large variety of music like a lot of people and I’ve been stuck with some pretty crappy songs.

I would give this application a 4.5/5. I HIGHLY suggest this program for any music lover because overall it is one amazing app. I can't say there is an app I use more than Pandora daily. It is FREE anyways, so why not try it?

Please Register or Log in to view images

Attached Files:

2. Ryuzaki

Ryuzaki Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Nice review, very nice.
    :'D
  3. chaos3232

chaos3232 New Member

Thanks =P glad someone likes it
  4. yankeesman6789

yankeesman6789 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    very nice review man. Pandora is an awesome app especially because im into hardcore techno and sometimes I want ideas for good songs to download so ill just listen to a Pandora station.
  5. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Nice review, but do we really need to review FREE Apps? I mean, they're free. You can try them out without any cost.
  6. chaos3232

chaos3232 New Member

yankee- yeah, I'm a music junkie and have Pandora running on my touch with my stereo almost 24/7 because I love listening to different bands and the multitude of bands that you can listen to.

tcq- I guess you do have a point with free app reviews, but I think some are pretty good. There could be some pretty good free apps that you never heard of that may be perfect for you. I know I've read reviews for apps before and then see it was free which makes me quite happy.
  7. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Reviews of free apps also have their relevance, especially if you comparing and contrast,ng similar apps.

Nice review. Language needs some work. I see quite a few spelling, grammar and punctuation errors.

Also you may like to add that Pandora is a US iTunes only app (though you can get it working o/s of US if you use a VPN).
  8. chaos3232

chaos3232 New Member

ah crap....I think I saved my rough copy and posted that >_< damn, I'm an idiot. lol