[REVIEW] Palringo

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by €p1c, Aug 23, 2009.

1. €p1c

€p1c New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)

Please Register or Log in to view images

Palringo
    A review on the quoted “Best IM App Around.”

Released- July 23, 2008 (Lite Version); June 29, 2009 (Premium Version)
    Seller- Palringo Limited
    Version-2.1 (iPhone OS 3.0 Tested)
    Space- 2.8-3.0 MB
    Requirements- iPod Touch or iPhone OS 3.0
    Cost- FREE (Lite Version; $4.99 (Premium Version)
    Website- www.palringo.com

Image Courtesy of bp1.blogger.com

"Instant Messaging (IM) is hugely popular- and Palringo is an award-winning Instant Messenger that’s purposely built for mobile phones" (iTunes Store).

Have a bunch of Social Networking clients that take up multiple Apps? Wouldn’t it be easier to just sign in on all your accounts in one application? Well, for those of you that answered “yes” to these questions, then you should take a look at the social networking App, Palringo. Palringo is specifically made for iPod Touch and iPhone OS 3.0, coming in both Lite and Premium Versions. Both Lite and Premium Applications of Palringo are easy to use and have familiar graphics and controls.

Let me introduce you to this very useful social networking service:

Palringo Premium

All Images courtesy of Palringo Limited via iTunes AppStore

Are there enough Clients/Social Networking Providers available for Palringo?

Yes. If you are avid at Instant Messaging, and use a common provider, then Palringo will suit all your messaging needs.

Here’s a list of ALL the service providers that Palringo offers:

• [*]Windows Live Messenger
      [*]Yahoo! Messenger
      [*]AOL Instant Messenger
      [*]Gadu-Gadu
      [*]AOL ICQ
      [*]XMPP/Jabber
      [*]Facebook Chat
      [*]Google Talk

Tap to Sign In

While Palringo for iPhone/iPod Touch has been around for 13 months, this App is no where near out-dated. With a new 2.1 version made for 3.0, this Social Networking, made for IMing Application is sure to set standards for a fierce battle between competitors. Palringo's competitors are knocked beneath because of its added "Group" Chat tab; this enables users to create group chats and communicate with multiple Palringo users at once.

Setting Up Palringo

Setup for Palringo is seemingly simple: just enter a valid email address, a password, and confirm that password to get started. Tap to sign in allows users to create multiple Palringo Accounts if they desire.

Settings in Palringo Lite

Palringo allows users to choose a font size of the instant messages. This is especially helpful if users have tired eyes or prefer not to wear glasses while on their iPod Touch or iPhone. Sounds can be controlled for both Private and Group messages; this is a nice feature if you're expecting an important IM or like to be notified of incoming messages on the spot. Regional Metric Units can also be changed if the user so desires.

Contacts Viewable in Palringo

Contacts from every single account are displayed through the single "Contacts" tab. There is a search at the top of this tab which is especially helpful if you have a lot of contacts and need to find him or her quickly.

Now Onto Palringo's Design

Graphics & Presentation-

• Fits in with the iPod Touch/iPhone UI (follows the same bottom tab design as the AppStore and most other applications)
    • Familiar buttons and commands
    • Easy to read/understand
    • Tabs light up blue when in use

The verdict: Palringo used a very familiar iPhone/iPod Touch design that is easy, accessible and appealing to most. (10/10)

Audio-

• Users have the option to turn on/off sound
    • Receiving sounds have a pretty good notification pitch
    • Sounds become tedius

The verdict: Palringo made the right choice when choosing sounds and enabling the user to turn them on or off as they desire. (7/10)

Gameplay/Controls-

• Easy to use buttons
    • Surprisingly fast connection (login on multiple accounts is fast and simple)
    • Very easy for anyone to use and figure out
    • Lite Version does not have a horizontal keyboard
    • Lite Version has issues with Push Notifications as of Now
    • Notifications for incoming messages are not displayed in current conversations

The verdict: While lacking a horizontal keyboard in the Lite Version, and buggy Push Notifications, Palringo does offer Users very easy-to-use buttons and controls, along with fast setup and connections. (8/10)

Value For Money-
    • Lite Version is very good value without paying a cent
    • $4.99 Premium Version is a little costly for just adding a Horizontal Keyboard and User icons in conversation

The verdict: If you don't mind vertical keyboards, and can do without user icons in chat, then the Lite Version has a better value than the Premium Version. (9/10)

Improvements-

• Enabling Horizontal keyboard in the Lite Version
    • Lowering the $4.99 Price
    • Incoming message alerts while talking in other conversations

Even though there are multiple Social Networking Applications out there, Palringo allows you to organize all of your accounts in one spot. Its sleek design in both the Lite and Premium versions will surely catch your eyes. The added "Groups" tab, which you can create chat rooms and talk to unlimited people at once is an added bonus. Overall, this application is a must if you're sick and tired of pulling up and switching back between a few Apps just to Instant Message.

Graphics & Presentation: 10/10 (Simple, easy and effective layout)
    Audio: 7/10 (Sound can be turned off if desired. Default sound is rather annoying)
    Gameplay/Controls: 8/10 (very appropriate and easy to use; the Lite Version; however, lacks the horizontal keyboard and working Push Notifications)
    Value For Money: 9/10 (this application has a FREE Lite Version that works amazingly well; the $4.99 Premium Version allows you to type with a horizontal keyboard)

TOTAL REVIEW RATING: 8.5/10 GREAT
    MY iTUNES RATING: 4.25/5

Try the Lite Version first!

Click here to visit Palringo Limited online.

Click here to view my Palringo Video Review.​

Attached Files:

2. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Great review! Too bad I already use BeejiveIM+, which I think is great (albeit expensive) or I'd probably check this out.
  3. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    2 things to add from my experience: Push notifications simply don't work, and it is extremely laggy in group chats.

Other than that, great app.
  4. €p1c

€p1c New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)

Push Notifications currently do not work for the lite version; however, Palringo Limited is working hard to fix this bug. I'd presume their next update will solve those problems.
  5. BigTnew

BigTnew New Member

Yeah I tried the lite version and the "push" notifications simply sent me tons and tons of email alerts! That is not what push is! I was duped! Oh well free is free but I quickly deleted this app.
  6. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    I've got premium. Sorry, should've added that.
  7. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    While I think it's a nice application, it lags a lot when there are many people in a room chatting.
  8. Germany

Germany Banned

Nice review. I use Palringo for all of my mobile instant messaging. I log on MSN, AIM, Palringo, and Facebook at the same time so I can chat with friends on all different services. I have the premium version and have experienced some lag while chating in the iPodtouchFans Palringo chat group. Overall, it's a great application.
  9. LssThanThree

LssThanThree Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Good review..
    but personally i prefer IM+
  10. v1dz

v1dz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hmm . one question.

Does Palringo allow us to keep seperate account status for each IM account?
    Like Invisible on Yahoo and MSN while stay online on Gtalk and facebook
    (Just to give an example)