[REVIEW] Palringo Instant Messenger

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Niiro13, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Niiro13

Niiro13 New Member

Palringo Instant Messenger
    Social Networking
    Released: July 26th, 2008
    Seller: Palringo Limited

0.9 MB

FREE

Palringo is a multi-client instant messenger for the iPhone and iPod Touch. It supports MSN, Yahoo, AIM, Gadu-Gadu, ICQ, XMPP/Jabber, Google Talk, and iChat.

The service requires a free Palringo account (which their site was down for a few hours after the application release,). Currently, the site is simply white background with black text.

Palringo does not keep you logged on even after tapping the home button like AIM does and MobileChat promises to do. You are immediately signed off. With that in mind, receiving a call will keep you signed on as long as you do not answer it.

Loading up the buddy list takes so long, I would rather go use meebo.com. It takes about a minute to load up three clients...make that two minutes.

There are three places you can go once signed into the Palringo client: Accounts, Contact List, and Groups.

Adding an account is easy, but it requires you to tap edit. Why they decided to put it in the edit menu instead of simply putting a plus button on the other side (where it's currently blank), I will never know.

This screen also has three toolbars, with the extra toolbar simply editing your profile (actually, it edits the status of your Palringo account and that's it).

Contacts list. The icons aren't as simple as they could be, but I suppose that is a preference thing.

It should be noted that if someone initiates a chat, it is actually a separate window than if you initiated it (if they initiated it, the upper left hand corner where it shows the status will show them offline...if you initiated it, then the correct status is shown).

Switching between chats is a simple tap of the Palringo logo at the bottom. You may also swipe, however you do not swipe the chat area like AIM. You have to swipe the toolbar at the bottom which is actually very difficult. Sending a message requires you to tap the send button instead of the return button on the keyboard (I believe this is done so you can access the switching of chats, since the keyboard covers the tab bar).

Sending pictures! Okay, sending a picture is nice, but there's no direct connection. The picture is uploaded to the Palringo site and the link is posted on the person's chat (though in your chat, it shows up).

All in all, I believe this application is actually worse than meebo.com.

With the inability to stay signed in, the bugs of two of the same chats open, the swiping, and the freezing of the contacts list (unless you tap edit and then tap done), even beejive loads faster than Palringo. Note that I am also on Wi-Fi when testing this. The application has potential...but by that time, MobileChat would have released.

Overall: 5/10

Summary:
    Appearance is okay, but some things can be moved to make it simpler as well as the segmented control should be tinted.
    Functionality is okay, but there are many bugs such as the dual chat and the contact list freezing.
    Usability is not that great. Signing off after tapping home and the swiping is pretty much useless (better to use the menu).

I recommend beejive.
  2. Rigs

Rigs New Member

I had a go at Palringo too and noticed some features were overlooked so I thought I'd reply ;-) I think this review is a bit rushed and unfair, being a long time Palringo user on the other mobile platforms.

AIM keeps you connected for 5 minutes and that's it... Apple won't let you run an application in the background. Apparently, they're releasing something in September so it can be done. It seems Palringo is playing by Apple's rules and still managed to give us a useable IM for iPhone On the plus side, Palringo lets you connect to many more services than AIM does... like MSN.

Mine loads up in 5 seconds flat and I have the following services running : MSN/AIM/Yahoo/GTalk/iChat and ICQ. On top of Palringo. Mind, their website died this morning as too many iPhone users were trying the application at the same time. Maybe you should give it another go

Please Register or Log in to view images

That's one way to do it, you can actually swipe chat windows - as mentioned on the 'Did you know' popups when you start the application (true I wouldn't have known if they hadn't told me). You can even double-tap the P icon to go back to the contact list.

That only works for Palringo contacts or group chat... I reckon it's not possible yet to send pictures directly to that many different services. Palringo also supports voice in the same way - well you can't seem to send voice messages but you can play messages sent by Windows mobile users for example.

Just thought I'd butt in

3. ricardofelix95

ricardofelix95 Banned

Yes!, MSN for iphone
  4. Rougelead

Rougelead New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    No there is no msn. This program is far not what it says it is.
  5. Mythul

Mythul New Member

really good app
  6. Wizzingwizzer

Wizzingwizzer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I have some Pics off my App

MSN Works fine with fine

Pics Attached

Attached Files:

7. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yes, there is MSN. I used it this morning. You have to select the left portion of the three-way split button, then tap "Edit", then "+", then add a Windows Live Messenger account.
  8. Niiro13

Niiro13 New Member

Actually, AIM keeps you on for about 15 minutes. And that's only because it's server-side (my belief is that they do that because of meebo...while beejive reconnects you, meebo doesn't [often signing on twice]).

It won't let you run in the background, but it will keep your status as signed on in their servers. Any messages are then queued up in their server. When you return to the application, it gives you all the messages you missed (so it's possible that messages can come a day late). This is in both AIM and MobileChat right now. It is a substitute they have come up with for push.

Yeah, but as you notice, the review is done while their website was laggy

I saw the tip, but I never got it to actually work.

Double tapping the P icon was also known. But I didn't want to ruin too much

Yeah.

Really, I'm not ripping the service. The service itself is good (though they should really keep you logged on their servers like AIM does [for 15 minutes] and like MobileChat will do [forever...or close to it?]). This is just like the Facebook app (though not half as bad). It can be great once the next update comes out.

Many of MSN's services were reorganized in 2006 under the name Windows Live. Or you could have seen the icon.