Review of the Invisible Shield for the iPod Touch

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by andyandy6464, Oct 1, 2007.

1. andyandy6464

andyandy6464 New Member

Okay, with no official case for the iPod touch yet (god only knows why not) I've decided to review the InvisibleShield from Zagg Inc.

I bought this because I wanted to protect my entire iPod, even if the front is "scratch resistant".

Anywho, i watched the demo on the site, and it looked easy, so i though "What the hell, i'll give it a try"

It came the same day as my touch did, so that was awesome.

Firstly, wash your hands thoroughly, scrubbing your fingertips. Which I did.

The way you have to apply it is like a car Decal. For those unfamiliar with car decals, you have to soak the decal with a solution, then put it on the car so you can slide it around to the exact position that you want. I only used the amount that was shown in the demo on the shield, but it was very difficult to get the front screen in the exact place. Also, the solution did not make it very easy to slide around. It was slippery for about 5 seconds, and then it just stuck.

I had to peel it off several times in order to get it right. In the end, it still didnt go on right, but it looked ok. I let it sit for a little, then turned the iPod on. There was a piece of hair underneath the screen. Awesome. So i peeled it off and put it back on. Then i realized that there was ANOTHER piece of hair underneath the screen so i peeled it off again and put it back on. Again. After all this, I was out of applicator solution. "Well...sh*t" I thought to myself. I ended up just filling the spritzer bottle with water (since that whatt it seems like they used. It was clear and odorless anyway.) and it worked out ok.

The finish on the shield isn't exactly clear either. It's kind of bumpy, but you can't really tell when it's on. The back piece didn't dry too well, and there's a little crease in it. Oh well.

EDIT (10/9/07): I was unhappy with how i put it on, so i called the company. They decided to give me another shield - for free! I got in in a few days.(The cool thing is that this product comes with a lifetime warranty. That means, that if the shield is damaged protecting your device, you can call them and they'll send you a new one. You just need to send the one that was damaged back, but not before you get the new shield. So if they won't give you a new one because you screwed up putting it on, damage it and ask for a warranty replacement)

Taking the old shield off was a pain - this thing really sticks once it's set!

Anyway, i made sure to scrub my hands, arms, and fingertips. I laid it down on a papertowel (since it won't give off any lint) I applied it and...it looks wonderful! Like i said, it has a slight bumpy texture, but it does not hinder finger movement in anyway. I didn't run out of solution this time, because I had already done it before. If you do, you can either order more solution from them for 80 cents, or just use water. Water works fine.

It looks great, and i feel good knowing that i can slip my ipod into my pocket and throw my keys in there with it.

10 out of 10. completely satisfied. I'll post pics in a little bit.
  2. blueray

blueray New Member

hello

I think this tipe of shields are a very good product if what you want is only prevent from scratches the entire body of your ipod. You will get the same look of your new ipod but scratch resistant.

The only complaint is the way they must be applied; you have to be so skilful to apply the shield in the correct way, but it's not imposible, with a little patience you get it.

If you want to give a try to this kind of shields, I recomend you the bestskinsever shield which is the same material InvisibleShield use but for a lot of less money. I have been using bestskinsever shield for me and my friends for a long time, and they work fine.

On the other hand, the kind of material the shields are made is not a flat surface, and if you look at your ipod with a little bit of angle you will notice a bit off bumpy surface (look at the picture).

Please Register or Log in to view images

If you dont like this for your front side off your ipod y recomend you the overlayplus screen protector, this is the smothest screen protector y ever have, it almost looks as good as without a screen protector.

Currently mi 5G ipod is protected on the front side with the overlayplus and the rear side with the bestskinsever; its scratchless and it looks like it have no protection.
  3. digdug

digdug New Member

Good for backs -that's it

I purchased the full body kit for my ipod touch. After applying it, here's my view:

1. The skin-like texture provides excellent grip control for the smooth back of the ipod touch, and is clear enough that it doesn't ruing the look. Unlike the above poster, I had no trouble putting it on and squeezing out the imperfections. That said...

2. This is simply not worth putting on the front of my ipod touch. The skin texture in this context completely ruins the glass sheen and crystal smooth beauty of the front of the ipod. In addition, the grip control that makes it so useful on the back, really works against you on the front given the need to slide your fingers to use the device. While I had no trouble placing this on the back of the ipod (simply because I wasn't looking for absolutely bubble-less perfection), it was difficult to do on the front. I was able to get a "perfect", bubble-less application, but then decided to take the entire thing off because I just didn't want to sacrifice enjoying the glassy beauty of the front. The front is sapphire crystal, I believe, so there should be no problems with front scratches anyway.
  4. andyandy6464

andyandy6464 New Member

Yeah, the bumpy texture doesn't make it hat much harder to use the whole touch feature on the front. I decided to give it another try - since adding a case wll add more bulk. I called them, and they said that they would send me another shield - for free! I also ordered some more application solution because i ran out of it last time (even though i'm sure all it is is a very diluted diswashing soap)

I'm going to give it another try. I'll post pics and maybe revise my review when i get it.
  5. jason724

jason724 New Member

I really can't decide whether to wait for a clear case to come out of use a skin. I really like the look of the touch, but I don't really want to add any bulk to it. Does the skin prevent finger print smudges? How good does it look? Would you recommend it?

Also, if I decide to opt for the skin, should I only put it on the back or put it on the front and back?

P.S. I plan on keeping the touch in some sort of pouch type thing (probably a holster) when i'm using it.
  6. andyandy6464

andyandy6464 New Member

No, it doesn't prevent finger smudges, but you can wipe them off with your shirt without worrying. And no, it doesnt really add bulk. If anything, it adds a fraction of a milimmeter.

It looks pretty good, if you do it correctly. As for recommendation, read the review. That's what it's there for.

The back is the most important, because it scratches easily, but you can't order JUST the back to my knowledge. You might be able to if you call them directly (they're really nice guys). The front doesn't REALLY need it, because it's supposed to be scratch resistant. But that's RESISTANT, not scratch PROOF. I put it on the back and front, because i like keeping my devices neat and clean.

I'll post pics when i get home from work.
  7. xlRiot

xlRiot Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    how does it look in the corners?

if you can post pics that would be great

8. andyandy6464

andyandy6464 New Member

I took pics last night, but i was so tired i just passed out.

I'll post em when i get home.
  9. itouch101

itouch101 New Member

In all honesty the skin works fine.. it doesn't hinder use in anyway and it seems like i have a stronger grip on the touch.
  10. xlRiot

xlRiot Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    oh alright, sounds good... i guess it is really worth buying..