Review of GadgetShieldz Protective Skins

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by wife-i, Apr 10, 2009.

1. wife-i

wife-i New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    A big hello to ITF,
    This is my first review on ITF. And what better to review than a scratch protection skin from GadgetShieldz for my Ipod Touch 2nd Generation.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Why I got GadgetShieldz :

The day I took my Ipod Touch 2G from the box, the shiny back has been bothering me. Its got 'Scratch Me' written in bold. My first choice was the skins from Bestskinsever. But since they charged $2.5 for international shipping, I did a bit of search on google (where else) and found GadgetShieldz. At $6.99/Skin, the deal sounded very sweet since GadgetShieldz was offering Free worldwide shipping. So ultimately, it was around $4 cheaper than Bestskinsever (which I thought was the cheapest option until I found GadgetShieldz). I was a bit sceptical since there were no pictures on their site as to what the skins looked like applied on a device and what kind of coverage it provided. Anyway went ahead and got the GadgetShieldz.

Installation :

Made up the solution and filled up a spray bottle with it (I was not prepared to dip the skins like many others do). Instead I used a little extra soap since I was prepared to wait for the solution to dry rather than be unable to slide the skins freely. More soap means more free slide for the skins and less need for moisture but also increased waiting period between various installation steps.

I wasn't too much worried about the front. It was the back which seemed a lot intimidating. So had to Identify what areas I could use to line up the skins. In my case I used the openings for the Power switch and the Volume rocker to do the alignment. I wonder why many of them mess up the installation on the back. I found the line up job surprisingly easy with this method atleast with GadgetShieldz. After the skins were aligned perfectly, kept the whole setup undisturbed for around 10-12 minutes and then started to remove the excess solution. Used my fingers for almost the entire installation with a little squeegee process here n there.

As expected the edges weren't giving in so easily. Waited for another 10 minutes before I could press them down.ok..So the installation got over after an epic 45-50 minutes. I would be lying if I say there weren't any bubbles. There were 2 which were very small. But I knew they would be all gone. And so was the case next morning.

Results :

Here are the results. The skins turned out very well.

Difference Between BestSkinsEver and GadgetShieldz:

I had a chance to check out my friend's Ipod touch with Bestskinsever installed. On comparison of the 2 skins, I couldn't find anything extra ordinary in GadgetShieldz. It looked exactly the same film as the BestSkins one. On the orange peel front, GadgetShieldz had a slightly better look but my friend thought both looked the same. In terms of coverage, I found GadgetShieldz covering more of my touch back than the BestSkinsever on my friend's touch. It covered the area around the power switch whereas BSE had left it open. Also GadgetShieldz covered the Chrome around the screen slightly more than the BSE.

Price Difference :

But the most important difference for me was the price. 25$ for an InvisibleShield or a BodyGuardz works out to around 10% of the total cost of my Ipod Touch itself which is insane. At a paltry $6.99/Skin and free shipping Gadgetshieldz was a steal. It works out only to 3% of the cost of my device. I am not complaining at all.

Conclusion :

Now that I have GadgetShieldz on my Ipod Touch 2G, I have been using it a lot more freely and not afraid to put it on my desk or pocket. And I hope to get a lot better value when I ebay my Ipod Touch 2G sometime later.

If you are not lazy enough to work up a soap solution, you can give the InvisibleShield and BodyGuardz a miss and try & save a lot more on these scratch protection skins (atleast till we get over the recession).

GadgetShieldz will remain my choice of scratch protection skins until something really cheaper comes along.

Got the Skins from GadgetShieldz.com

With this ends my first review on ITF.
  2. Ipwnnubletz

Ipwnnubletz Banned

Shill? I could have sworn I found this on the internet somewhere.