[Review] Occasions

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by touch_iPod, Aug 18, 2009.

1. touch_iPod

touch_iPod Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    touch_iPod's review of Occasions

Please Register or Log in to view images

(From iTunes Store review)
    "Happy BELATED Birthday!"
    "Oops, sorry, the appointment just slipped my mind!"
    "Anniversary? Whose and what anniversary?"

Do these phrases seem all-too-familiar to you? Are you tired of forgetting birthdays and other dates that are special to you or your friends and family?

Then look no further - Occasions is the event reminder you need!

Interface
    The simple and user-friendly interface is what makes Occasions stand out against its competitors. Upon opening the app, the first thing that is seen is the summary page, showing birthdays and other occasions that have been recorded.

As seen below, the nearest two events (i.e. coming up within a month) are shown in a special box of their own to differentiate from the more distant ones. This helps the user to make the necessary preparations for the upcoming two events without mixing up with the others.

Data entry
    There are two ways for event info to be captured in Occasions. Firstly, the app can search the user's Contact list and sort according to the DOB. Of course this depends on whether the contact has a DOB listed in the first place!

The second way is via a "Custom Info" entry. To get to this page, just click on the "+" icon next to the title "Occasions" (refer to the picture above) and Image A will open. Click on "New Custom Entry" and voila, the data can then be keyed in as per Image B.

Image A

Image B

Events Display
    The image below shows data for one of my family members whose details have been transferred from the iPod's Contact app. In addition to the birthday info, the user can also call, text, or email this person. In fact, new dates (e.g. anniversary, meetings, etc.) can also be added-on and this is a great convenience!

In contrast, the ones that are custom-entered (see Data Entry - para. 2) have less info and only show the event date as well as picture and notes.

Settings
    The Settings page is quite straight-forward and very easy to navigate. Push Notifications is a new feature though, and even if you're not in the Occasions application, badge count updates and even alerts for the day's events can be received.

Also, there is a selection of nice Themes to beautify the interface. Seven are available, including Earth, Gray, Blue, Wind, and Fire.

Conclusion
    Occasions is a long-awaited app for the iPod touch and iPhone as it helps to make it easier for users to keep track of important occasions and other events, without having to always refer to Contacts or even Notes. No wonder there are 51 five-star ratings over at the US iTunes Store!

Price

Rating

Attached Files:

2. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    This is actually a very useful application that I might just get... nice review.
  3. LssThanThree

LssThanThree Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Nice review,
    although i might never use this app.
  4. Universal Denizen

Universal Denizen Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Very nicely reviewed! Seems to be a rather handy app.
  5. touch_iPod

touch_iPod Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Oh yeah, it's been serving me well for the past one week or so... At least I won't have to worry about missing any important occasions or events...

Thanks for the comments, guys!

6. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Nice review. I'm thinking of getting this too but just spent the last of my weeks App Store quota on Gang$tars...

p..s center your images and add a few more line gaps for better presentation

for