[REVIEW] Netter's Anatomy Is The Best App Ever

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by quakergamer, Jul 10, 2008.

1. quakergamer

quakergamer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    WoW! I just paid 40 bucks for it and it's so damn awesome, I will never fail my anatomy exams anymore (this is an intended joke, by the way, don't get offended). THANK YOU APPLE!!!!

╠══════════════ REVIEW ══════════════╣

1.1: Welcome Screen

Please Register or Log in to view images

As you can see it, you do have over 300 images and notice that many images do have 2 or more anatomy structures in them, just check the pictures that will follow. The loading does take a while, maybe 20-25 seconds, but afterwards it's smooth sailing.

1.2 : Overall images screen

Here you can see the superior and lateral views of the vertebrae, along with the zoomed version of the superior view, just to point out the quality difference. Touching the pins will show you the respective structure name and clicking on the arrow will take you to another screen which shows you in what other images the structure appears, a google search button and its full name.

A small problem about the images is that you have no overall images where ALL the muscles of the lower limb, for example, are identified. Instead, you have one image per muscle. I suppose they did it this way because of the information screen which is really specific to each muscle, but I would've enjoyed a general view. Maybe for a future version?

1.3 : Info screen

That is the coolest part of the application and also the biggest difference with the book version. You have an information page about EACH of the 300+ images, which tells you everything you need to know about it. For example, for EACH muscle, you get their origins, insertions, functions, nerve innervation, arteries and the specific details about them. It is always good if you have a physiology or anatomy exam, but if not, it is obviously something anyone studying the human body should know.

1.4 : Quiz feature

This is pretty straight forward. It asks you to locate a structure, you must click on the pin related to it. If you have it wrong, it displays the red bar and you can either click on next, to get a different structure, or touch all the pins till you find it. The most important thing to do afterwards is to ... MEMORIZE IT!!

1.5: Index feature

Here, you can see the general index and search feature. Once again, it is very simple to use and straightforward. Clicking on the structure will take you to the second screen, which will tell you what images contains the cardiac plexus.

1.6 : Comparison between my Netter's Atlas and the iPod application

The first thing that comes to your mind after comparing these 2 images is that the book version has a lot more structures identified. This is partially true, because the less important ones (barely details ...) are not included in the iPhone app. Anyway, no one wants a pin clutter! Also, some structures in the superior view have been included in the lateral view, which explains why they don't show up on the first one.

Finally, the book version has about 600 pages, which doubles the amount of images included in the application, but the book also costs 125$ CAN (Sorry for the NON-FRENCH, by the way

).

2.0: Conclusion

I would go as far as say that this application is a must buy for the medical students or anyone studying the human body, because you'll be carrying it everywhere you go and you never know when it can come in handy. The image quality is as good as it gets on the iPod, although I would've enjoyed to be able to ZOOM IN more, but the current level of detail is great and the images are very sharp, none the less. Keep in mind that this is a 40 mb app. for 300 high quality images, which is a good ratio. The quiz feature and the information available on each image is really what made me spend the 40$ (+ THE CANADIAN TAXES

) to buy this application. It is indeed very useful, and will hopefully serve me my entire career!

As for the negative points, well obviously the price might stop a lot of people from enjoying it. I would also like to be able to put pins with my own structure information, on each image, although this could be complicated to code, because of how every image is linked together. Also, there is some annoying bug that sometimes the image will load forever, then the application will crash, but this is going to be fixed, hopefully. There is really nothing else I would want added to this application, making it the perfect anatomy tool for the iPod & iPhone.

Attached Files:

• na.jpg
      na.jpg
      File size:
      25.2 KB
      Views:
  2. kookmasteraj

kookmasteraj New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    sounds fun.... what do you do in that game?
  3. quakergamer

quakergamer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Not a game, although you can take a quiz on body parts and just the overall body anatomy. Here, I'm majoring in Medicine and it'll be damn helpful to make sure I can back off my anatomy knowledge wherever I go!!
  4. Switch

Switch New Member

Yea it actually looks sick if you are gonna use it but i never would so i'd never spend 40 bucks on it
  5. castro.

castro. Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    hows the quality?

like, how clear are the images?
  6. Switch

Switch New Member

They look from the appstore pics like they are very high quality although i cant speak for it on the touch/iphone...
  7. quakergamer

quakergamer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    You can zoom in, plus they are pretty good quality and will definitely help me remember the regional anatomy of multiple structures, WHENEVER I need it. This is just amazing, I don't know what else to say, god I'm happy to have bought an iPod.
  8. 48days

48days Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    For $40 there obviously pretty good, the preview of this app does look pretty sweet

9. poombster

poombster New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Just a small note, it's actually Netter's anatomy, which is not the same as Gray's Anatomy.
  10. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    hmmm this realy is where the iphone exceeds from all other devices.