[REView] Navigon MobileNavigator North American GPS

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Virtualball, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Virtualball

Virtualball Well-Known Member

Well, I decided to do a review, I know, I'm just as surprised as you... I never thought I'd review something, but when I used this application, I was just awe-stricken by how amazing it was. Through the setup my car (Jeep Patriot 2008) allows, I can have my iPod situated in the center console and have the audio plugged into the stereo. This allows for the iPhone to seemingly become an actual GPS unit that can hold thousands of songs. The experience is amazing because it allows you to listen to music while it's open and the voice calmly speaks over your song. Anyways, let's get started, shall we?

Name: MobileNavigator North America
    Developer: NAVIGON AG
    Price: $69.99 (Will rise to $99.99)
    Size: 1.29 GB
    Version: 1.0.0
    Tested on: iPhone 3GS (32 GB)

Now, there are many apps out there that are meant for GPS navigation like AT&T's solution, TomTom's upcoming navigator, Sygic's app, and even the free XGPS for jailbroken iPhones. What's wrong with those? Well, AT&T's is a monthly subscription service, TomTom's isn't out yet and requires a dock, Sygic's seemed buggy, and while free, XGPS is frankly a piece of crap hah. As far as GPS goes, MN is decently priced and is amazingly stable!

So Virtualball, Stop Acting Like A Dick and Tell Me About It!

Fine, Jesus, calm down! When you first start it, it takes a little while to start. This is usually ~30 seconds. Once it loads, you are first warned to not use it while driving and yadda yadda. This is the main menu:

Please Register or Log in to view images

As you can see, it's quite straight forward. You can choose to find a Point of Interest (POI), a location by address, your home or you can just view the map. Underneath the menu, the tabs allow you to choose from Recents, your Favorites, or addresses in your address book. Here's an example screenshot of the POI search for amusement parks in FL:

From there, you just click where you want to go and it auto-routes it for you. If there's a lack of GPS signal, it simulates the route for you (which seems pointless) but when there's signal, it kicks ass. It's very accurate and it seems to know the best route. Now, there's a few reasons why it kicks ass. First, let's see a screen of the car in route.

As you can see, it shows the street you're on, the distance until your next action, the ETA, and the speed limit. The latter is huge to me because I always wished there was an app that told me the speed limit of any given place and now I have it! Though, it's not always accurate; it'll say 40 in a 35 sometimes, but it's forgivable. This screen is very straight forward and shouldn't really need explaining.

Wait a Minute! This is a $70 App, Where Are the Settings!?

Wow, I told you to calm down dude... here are pictures of the Options menu:

This shows the bevy of options this app allows. Most are pretty obivous and dont't need explaining but there are two that should be noted. The first is 3D Navigation Maps. This shows you a preview of the turns you are about to make. Here's an example:

This feature alone makes this GPS app worth it. When you're on the highway and there's 4 different exits at once, a simple "turn left here" doesn't cut it. This shows you what to do, it's amazing, simply.

Now, the second feature is the Acoustic Warning. Remember how the app knows the speed limit? Well, if you go over the speed limit by a set amount (5, 10, 15, etc.) it'll calmly say "caution." This has actually helped me numerous times.

So I'm Lazy As Fuh, Gimme A Summary:

Pros:
    • 3D View
    • Acoustic Warnings
    • Extremely easy to use
    • Landscape view
    • Many options
    • Comparatively, it's a cheap price. This is equivelant to 5 months of AT&T service.
    • Allows your own music to be played

Cons:
    • Drains battery like no tomorrow (expected)
    • Sometimes the speed limit isn't accurate
    • To some, it's costly
    • It's ~1.25 gigs.. that's a lot on 8 gig iPhone 3G's
    • Hmm, that's about it.

So Sum It All Up!

Basically, it's a great GPS app. If you think it's worth the $70 price tag, there is absolutely NO reason to avoid buying it!

I'd say 4.5/5 iPhones!

(This was my first review, please tell me if I'm awful haha)

Attached Files:

2. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Very nice! I can't wait to see how Tom-Tom does with their app.
  3. fattail95

fattail95 New Member

great review! looking forward to TomTom's effort too!
  4. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ehhh.. I didn't quite find the comedy funny. But great review on the whole, not sure it's worth the price.
  5. Renegade

Renegade Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Good to see you back

Anyways, Great review. I'm not going to lie, I've seen better reviews before... But that doesn't mean yours was bad at all. I would try keeping the comedy out though, If I was in person listening to you... It'd be much better. But reading it just seems weird.

This app looks great. Obviously the #1 app in its category. It just looks perfectly like a high quality GPS device you'd buy in the store. The display screens in the app just look amazing. At 69.99 and soon to be 99.99, I think its worth it. It's terrible that it takes up so much space (1.29GB

) but if your in need of it, Its probably worth it.

I don't think TomTom will have an app as good as this one though.
  6. Ryuzaki

Ryuzaki Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Great review. Don't need it though. Definitely I'll stick with The Maps.app.
  7. fred2028

fred2028 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Just got this app and it works well. However, I have never been able to get a GPS signal. I use Maps.app and Off Maps and both can get GPS signal fine (I'm standing in a parking lot with open skies) but this app keeps saying "No signal present". Any idea how to get signal?
  8. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

Just wait, like all GPSs, a decent signal needs to be acquired (for decent accuracy) , the maps app only needs meh-ish signal, but the accuracy is also meh-ish
  9. fred2028

fred2028 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Lol good explanation aha meh-ish, but OK thanks, I'll try it out.
  10. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

meh, i wish they would have a thing where it even uses crappy signal, but then it would throw the GPS off a bit