[Review] MyDesktop

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by daconcerror, Oct 17, 2009.

1. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Background Information:

MyDesktop is an app created by voon and was released on the 30th of September.It costs a slighty over average £2.49 The app was designed to be more like a internet browser you would find on your laptop where you can have multiple windows open at one time and you can go between them without one of them refreshing when you back onto it. This is really inventive because when using these mobile safari if you try to look at two things at once you can't switch between them easily.

Please Register or Log in to view images

A breif look at the app

When you first open the app you are presented with the wallpaper that voon selected for you and one screen telling you all of the things you will need. When you open the app you realise how little you need to know for this app, it is very well laid out for ease of use.

After you have passed this screen you are presented with another screen telling you to tap the bar to begin. A small thing that annoyed me about this was how small the tap to begin bar was and this is included in the app as the way of bringing up the controls, i felt like there should be a more intuitive way of bringing up the controls like a double tap because when you are veiwing the windows in full screen you have to touch the bottom part and this sometimes takes a few tries to get it to work.

A more in depth look

It takes very little time to get used to this app, if you tap the bottom bar you pull up the controls.

In this window you have 5 options and a dock, the options along the top from right to left are, open a new window, fullscreen, close all windows, size of all windows, options. Along the bottom you have a dock, this is where you can put any webpages you like, these can then be accessed whenever you open up this options page, along with this you also have normal bookmarks, these don't go on the dock.

If you decide to remove an icon from the dock all you have to do is drag it from the dock to just above the dock and it will ask you if you want to remove it, this saves a lot of hassle because you can just drag it rather than having to go into the settings and remove them.

The size bar allows you to change the size of all of the apps in one movement but you can also change the size of each box by dragging the bottom right corner.

There aren't many options for this app

The first allows you to choose a picture from your photo library to use as the wallpaper, however this changes your portrait pictures to landscape automatically so pictures that you have taken of your ipod get stretched to try and fit the screen. This makes it very hard to find a wallpaper to fit it because it automatically turns your already lanscaped images back to portrait. The image below shows an image that was taken in landscape and is now being used as the wallpaper.

The second option is just to go over the single page of help which was the same one that you first saw when you opened the app.

The third option is to simply revert the wallpaper back to the one that the app came with which i found useful after realising that my images got stretched.

When you open a new window you are presented by a simple box with only two options, a red X to close it and what loos like a button to insert bullet points. You can also move the box around the screen by dragging next to the X. At this screen you have no options to change the webpage but when you click the blue bullet point button it pulls up all of the settings

All of these buttons will be familiar, back, forward, stop current action, add to bookmarks and bookmarks. The only button that will be unfamiliar is the white blob, which is infact the add to dock button, i think that this button would be a lot better if it just said "dock" because although there is a short description of this button in the help it doesn't actually show you what the icon is and when you first see it it looks like just a random blob.

At the top of this screen is the your address bar and the google bar, neither of these remember what you have typed in before and you have to type in the address every time which means that you are using the bookmark button all the time because you dont want to have to type the same address in over and over again on the small iDevice keyboard.

I
    feel that the fullscreen mode is very lacking although in some senses it is very good, you can view your windows in full screen and zoom in in the same way you could in mobile safari, but, to change the web page to a completely different address you need to bring up the options and minimize from full screen, then type in the new address by clicking the bullet point button. This makes it very hard to use the full screen mode frequently because you need to keep minimizing it to type in new addresses or to google something.

Stuck in landscape

The app can be rotated so that it is in landscape but it can't be changed into portrait but when you have it in fullscreen this is very handy because there is no rotation, this also solves the problem of when your lying in bed and you don't want it to flip into landscape, by just making you stuck in landscape.

Overall views

Other Apps
    • Features
      • The features of this app are quite good, including landscape mode, fullscreen, multiple windows and a dock. The app does however lack in some areas like a drop down address bar in full screen, a quick access bar so you don't have to always tap the bottom bar.
    • Gui
      • The Gui on this app is very nice, it has a very simple layout and is very clean without a loads of random buttons that you have no idea what their function is.
    • Audio
      • N/A
    • Reuse Value
      • This app is extremely useful and is used by me more than mobile safari is, there is no way that i would delete it from my springboard
    • Value For Money
      • This app is quite expensive for what it is, there is other browsers in the appstore that, although they don't have the multiple windows, are a lot cheaper and offer more features
    Scores

• Features
      • 4/5, because it lacks some features
    • Gui
      • 3.5/5, although the Gui is clean and smooth is it hard to use sometimes
    • Audio
      • N/A
    • Reuse Value
      • 4.5/5, a much better alternative than mobile safari and a lot of other browser apps
    • Value For Money
      • 3/5, this is where the app fails slightly, it is quite expensive for what it is

Overall score is a 4.5/5 because this app has tonnes of functions and is a clear leader in browsers

Buy it here: iTunes AppStore: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...2265&mt=8&uo=6

for £2.49 ($4)
  2. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You should center the images. It would look better.

Also, where's the price?
  3. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Good review, my favourite browser so far x]
  4. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
  5. Appman

Appman Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I was typing up a review for this app right now. Looks like you beat me to it!

6. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Lol I spent ages typin this up
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    i cant seem to add a thumbnail??
  7. Appman

Appman Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You got to add an attachement. that's the thumbnail
  8. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i cant :/ ive tried using the icon.png out of the app but it wont show up
  9. freemini

freemini Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    So after all this is a web browser right? I though it's some kind of widget based thing.
  10. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    yeah this is a browser, and i still cant add a thumbnail...