[Review] My Icy Review!

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by moabal, Mar 29, 2009.

1. moabal

moabal New Member

Out of no where, RiPDev released a new software. What is icy? Is it icy cool? Well I think it is! It is an alternative and direct competitor to Cydia. Installer 4 will be phased out for the continue production of Icy and the soon to be announced Installer 5. ​

Before Hand...​

At first, I felt that Installer 4 failed and that Cydia won the installer choice for those with the 2.x software. I felt that Installer had no chance for this era unlike what it was in 1.1x. However, I was surprised that they have made a drastic turn around and may win this ongoing battle.

Please Register or Log in to view images

The Jist of it All!

From the picture above, you can see the simplicity of the application right away. In addition the speed compliments its great looks. In Cydia you are welcomed by a 20 seconds stop for refreshing sources. Icy makes it possible to refresh your sources whenever you like. When you do refresh them, you can continue to use the functionality of the application without having to wait.

So what is really great about it?

Well the features above all exist in Installer 4. So many will ask what makes this so different. Well Icy now runs on the same system as Cydia. So basically they support Cydia repo. So all the applications and sources that appear in your Cydia are in Icy. They coexist with each other almost perfectly and its a very smooth transition. Also, the size of Icy is 1/35 of the size of Cydia. Not only that speed is once again great.

Other

Icy even though simple goes out of the way to ensure clean installation. From the picture above, you see there are no command lines and is truly clean. Very noob friendly. I would also like to mention the search feature works 10x better than Cydia ever did.

Summary

What is great:
    • Speed
    • Efficency
    • Compatible with Cydia
    • Innovative UI

What is not so great:
    • Cannot filter packages by its source
    • No way to find new applications that were updated after a refresh
    • Adding sources to Icy do not add to Cydia. However adding to Cydia does to Icy
    • Cannot view theme previews

To Install:

1.) Go to Cydia add http://apt.ripdev.com
    2.) Install Icy
    3.) Refresh Sources and make sure they complete
    4.) Exit out of app
    5.) Categories should show up

I understand there is already a great review out there. But here are my opinions and I feel strongly of them! ​
  2. Xandan

Xandan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

pretty sure its RipDev

3. moabal

moabal New Member

HAHAHAHA mistake I made lol. Thanks...

FIXED!
  4. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    very nice and cool

but is it true u can't see previews of stuff?
  5. moabal

moabal New Member

From what I experienced, yes thats true. But keep in mind this came out today. Secondly, it is not the end of the world because on MMi and iPTF you can preview any theme. The trade offs here are very small.
  6. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

Nice review, but I'm not jailbreaking anymore.
  7. moabal

moabal New Member

Why are you here then? lol!
  8. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Icy is not replacing Installer4... it is a competitor to Cydia. The RipDEV team say they will release Installer5 soon to replace Installer4. Please get your facts straight if you write a review and then ask me to add it into the FP post. I expect you to work on your review to fix errors or I will remove the FP link. However, good effort for getting a review out so quickly. Thanks
  9. moabal

moabal New Member

EDIT: Ok it is all fixed up. Will Installer 5 be like Icy in terms of speed and cydia functionality? BTW Installer is always a competitor to Cydia lol!
  10. nicknowsky

nicknowsky New Member

Device:
    iPad
    ICY wont install thru Installer 4.0 i dunno why, I keep hitting install and nOTHING happens, it just keeps doing nothing, ive hit install 20 times